Alright, just a quick thread before I place my order...

I need replacements, but I'm going for a smoother, clearer tone. I play anything from jazz to heavier metal (nothing past In Flames).

V1 - Tungsol 12ax7 (for clarity of gain, less mud)
V2 - Philips 5751 (less gain, with smoother gain)
V3 - Ei 12ax7 (I have these in the amp right now, and I like the tone...?)

Poweramp would be JJ's.

Any thoughts? I'm really only questioning whether or not the Ei would be the best choice... I like the tone I have with them, but they are a hit-and-miss tube (the ones that don't go microphonic are quiet and sound great).

It has been brought to my attention that 5751's may cause muddiness, something I'm not really looking for. What would be a safe alternative to this while still maintaining clarity and smoothing the gain out a bit? I was told JJ's may work...?
Last edited by dudey5691 at Dec 28, 2008,
Quote by dudey5691
I'd like to order the tubes today, so I can get them in by next week...

So, any thoughts? Would a JJ 12ax7 or second Tungsol be a better choice than the Ei?

Sorry bro I know nothing about tubes, but I hope somebody comes up with the answer to that ringing problem because I get it too.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think your tracking dudey. You might want to ping Mike.h too. I think he put a Mullard in V2. Can't remember exactly what he's been thru tube wise. Good luck.

Tracking? What is that?

I was reading through my previous posts about this subject, and through Mike's threads. He put the Mullard in before he sold it, but I couldn't find anything about it tonewise
He suggested two 5751's in V2 and V3, as opposed to the way in OP. But, he said to get the sound he wanted he had to use a boost, which I'm not too fond of, although it sounds better.

I'll start lurking the past threads, again, to see if I can dig up some more stuff.
If you have the extra money, buy an Ei and a JJ, then just check out which you like better. It's only like, 5 extra dollars, I think.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Sounds like your tracking dudey

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by V.U.K
If you have the extra money, buy an Ei and a JJ, then just check out which you like better. It's only like, 5 extra dollars, I think.

I'd do that, but I don't think I will have the extra money to be able to
Plus, I read that Ei aren't even for high gain amp purposes.. what the hell are they doing in my amp and why do they sound decently good?

Sounds like your tracking dudey

Sounds like I'm stalled at the moment
I say, shove a 5751 in the V2. SRV had one there because it improves the clean sound, or something like that.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
I say, shove a 5751 in the V2. SRV had one there because it improves the clean sound, or something like that.

Yeah, I think I'm going to try something like that...

The JJ (on tubestore) has some bad ratings, so I'll try out what Mike.h had for a while, and deal with it, that is if I don't like it, until I have the money to get something else.