and couldnt hear myself on the monitor.
i just kept going, it was just bothersome.

what have you done or would you suggest if this happens?
i'd say ask the sound guy to turn up the monitors... just say it into the mic.

i have a gig tomorrow with a soundguy that's supposedly horrible..

backseat drive
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Point your instrument, the soundman must understand this.
The world is a vampire. - Billy Corgan
I've noticed that in every single musical performance I've every played in (both school stuff and my band), something has gone wrong in some way. It's the most fun that way.
I've dealt with poor sound my whole life. If you have a sound guy, don't put up with it. There is no reason why his equipment should lack. But my experience with sound guys is that they think they know everything. You just have to be firm with them, tell them exactly what you want.
I go to a local venue when they put on concerts and the sound guy there is really good. The sound check (which I always try and sneak into ) is always very thorough making sure all the musicians are comfortable. He's got a great knack for it and no matter who's playing (they have from jazz to heavy metal) he always get it spot on.

And I once went to a gig where there was a brief 2 minute check before starting and then right onto playing. Whoever was doing the sound should have been shot. There was toooo much bass boomyness, not enough guitar, everything about the equalization was wrong. If I had been told that there was no sound tech at all I would have not been surprised at all.

It's all about luck, I've played a few gigs and on one the sound was awful, whilst the others was quite nice. As another guy said up there, don't let them muck you up. Tell them what you want and do your best to get it.
soundcheck-very very important.
if at all possible get all sound issues sorted out then, BEFORE the show, that said, you cant expect to have perfect sound all the time, my first show all I could hear was bass drum throughout the entire hour-long set, nothing else.
but learning to still be able to put on a show at the same time as communicating to soundguys etc and not have it impact on performance is a skill in itself
I usually keep my guitar knob rolled down to 5 if im not using distortion.......

Otherwise yeah just grab his attention =S

And this has happened to me way toomany times........ there have been gigs where all the guitarists have had to share one mic xD [3]
This is a tough call. You won't always have the luxury of a sound check. If you're on with a handful of bands, and one goes on right after the other, you just do a quick line check and you're on. This even happens at larger festivals and stuff we have played. The mix of your first song will be lacking, but by the end of the first song, things should be sorted. That's the difference between a good soundman and a bad one. The bad one will take longer to get it.... if at all.

Having a proper sound check is ideal, though.

Otherwise, the universal sign for more monitor is pointing at whatever needs adjusted and pointing upwards.

Don't be too demanding. Part of being professional is being able to work with people, and remembering who is in the driver's seat. At your level of experience, the club can book any one of thousands of bands. They chose you. Don't be a prick. Play nicely. Once you reach the status of platinum-selling recording act or whatever when YOU call the shots, then you can play as if you're in the driver's seat.

Even at that... play nicely. The industry is all about relationships.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
If your band personally has a sound guy, tell him about it and tell him to fix it. If it isn't your sound guy, kindly let him know that it was difficult to hear your guitar but he did a good job otherwise. That way, the sound guy will be more likely to want to do sound for you again, and he may become a huge recording/sound guy, remember how nice you were to him, and if karma has taught me anything, he'll be nice back.

As a small town local band, try to be as nice and tolerant to as many people as you can and get everyone's number. Sound guys, promoters, bar/club owners, regular audience members, other bands ect... The better know you are the better your shows will be and the bigger your fan base will become.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
I always try to meet with the sound guy and say "Hi" before the show, and let him know that I'm the singer/guitarist, that kind of thing, and see if he has any thing he likes to do--he might say a minor thing like "It will be easier if you put your amp in front of the drum riser here", or something like that, but we're communicating and helping each other out. That way we already kind of have a rapport when it comes time to play, or soundcheck if we have the chance. It's not much, but I've found it helps when sound issues arise. The guy knows you're on his side, and he'll try to fix things unless he's a lousy sound man or is just full of himself. But hopefully if he's getting paid for this, he likes to do it and make bands sound as good as he can.

And if you can't signal during songs, just ask the soundguy, and make sure to say please and thanks, even if he doesn't get it right the first time. You can also ask the audience after a song or two if everything sounds good. If they say "more vocals, more drums" etc, the soundman will usually get right on it, and then any monitor tweaks can be done then too.

That said, you will get screwed sometimes and have to play through it. As others have said, keep your head and be nice to everyone, you never know who you'll cross/p*** off. As much as lousy monitors suck, the truth is that if you can't play a good show with a few elements off, you're not that good of a band.

Hope my thoughts here help someone out.