SoI went out and I bought this book that lists ALL the scales for guitar (as it states). I bought it out of the blue because everyone says I need to learn scales. My problem is I was going through the booka nd it ahs ALOT of scales but I don't know what to do with them. Do I jsut go through the book practicing every single one until I know them by heart or is there a trick to it. Thanks much.
No thank you. Thanks for the offer though! I would but I'm too full from all the **** cheese you gave me earlier.
learn the major scale in all 7 positions. thats a first. then realize that the minor scale is just the major scale starting on the sixth, so just start with sixth position. there, youve leaned 12 scales by knowing 7 notes. MOST IMPORTANT learn how to construct the scales. no point in learning the patterns if you dont know what they mean.

then for soloing purposes, learn stuff like pentatonic and blues, brush up on some theory on that. learn what chromatics are and how to use them. etc etc.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
start with major(they might refer to it as ionian) and minor(or aeolian) scales, and major & minor pentatonics. they are a good start to scales and theory
So I should learn Major first then Minor? Also what are scales for exactly? Do they serve a purpose other than warming up?
major first, all other scales are based around the major.
If u wna solo, learn scales, all solos are based on scales.
Quote by Imme94
So I should learn Major first then Minor? Also what are scales for exactly? Do they serve a purpose other than warming up?

Major IS Minor, it contains all the same note =)

learn the modes, and know that each is constructed from a major scale.

i think youd be better off learning a little theory than just scales at this point.

any questions feel free to PM me, im pretty solid on the subject.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Learn the interval formulae of each scale and mode, so that you can play in any of them in any place or position. Better that than trying to memorise every note of every scale, which will come naturally in time.
Practice. Play. Sleep. Repeat.

Quote by pearlJam_31490
i take it next your going to tell me that Cb is a note too!
Quote by Imme94
So I should learn Major first then Minor?[ Also what are scales for exactly? Do they serve a purpose other than warming up?

Scales are not for warming up...they're to help you create music. The major scale is the cornerstone of pretty much all contemporary western music. Like others have said, there's little point in just learning a load of patterns for the sake of learning patters...you need to understand what scales actually are.

Learn the notes on the fretboard and read Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com