Hi! It's been a while since I really got any new equipment for my guitar so I was thinking of upgrading something. I'd like to get a new guitar (Jaguar or Jazzmaster), but I can't afford it. Other options would include an amplifier or a reverb tank. I found a good deal on a reissue Ampeg Reverberator; would that be a good upgrade for me?

I can spend 300-500$, possibly up to 1000$ (that would require that I work 60 extra hours over my winter break, though, so I'd rather not do that ).

I enjoy playing instrumental surf music (Ventures, Shadows, Dick Dale), new wave (Talking Heads, Blondie, Elvis Costello, Devo), and the Beatles. Some punk, funk, and blues, too, occasionally. So I would probably want something versatile.

My current gear:
Guitar - Kramer 111S with Fender Custom Shop '69 pickups and a new bridge from Warmoth (I broke the bar in the old one and it got stuck lol), Ernie Ball 10-46 strings

Amplifier - Hughes & Kettner Edition Silver (50 watts solid state)

Pedals - Vox V847 Wah, Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi, Electro-Harmonix Small Stone (not sure if it still works), and a Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive. I don't really use any of them too much anymore, especially the last two.

I've been playing for four years, now, but I don't know that I'm very good. I have a lot of fun just playing, though, and I like writing my own music.

So-a guitar would probably be too expensive. An reverb tank is also probably slightly out of my price range. Should I get an amplifier? As I mentioned earlier, there's the Ampeg Reverberator--or maybe a Fender Blues Junior would be good?

My Dad and brother are pretty good with electronics, and I could afford a Weber reverb tank kit, so that might be an option, too... http://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_weber.htm

Or should I save it until next year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think the Ampeg Reverberocket would be a great idea. It's a very nice amp. Very nice American voiced cleans, but not quite as bright as a fender, probably, and a good OD with more than enough gain for standard blues and classic rock (which is all I play on mine).
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
It would be a great improvement. (nothing against your current gear - I'm an H&K owner as well). But the Ampeg Reverberocket is a very good amp.
I agree with everyone else here, the Reverberocket is amazing! Are you getting one or two speakers?
My Gear: For sale/trade:
Epi Les Paul Custom SPF I-5 delay
Fender Jazzmaster MXR 1O band EQ
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
I've considered it further and decided that it's probably too loud for what I need right now (it's 50 watts, two 12" speakers). It's also right up at the limit for what I can spend (500$). I did find a vintage Reverberocket II from the '60s which is 25 watts with one 12" speaker for about 15$ less. That might be a better option, but it still might be a bit much.

How is the reverb on the Reverberocket? The reverb on my H&K is okay, but it doesn't come close to the reverb one would hear in most surf songs. Would the Reverberocket be closer?

Thanks for the help, everyone!
It is a loud amp, but it's something I've learned to deal with.

And the reverb is great! I'm sure you'd be pleased with it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...