Page 1 of 3
Seems to be like you need to be a tenor more or less to be in a successful pop punk band. Sure there are barotones out there stretching to hit the notes, but every song is essentially written for a tenor.

Any 'popular' bands that have barotones as vocalists? Are some of these vocalists in fact barotones with just extended ranges through practice?
I'm not really a vocalist expert, but I think you are correct. Most pop punk vocalists are tenors, but there are some exceptions (Blake from Jawbreaker for instance). I personally think this sounds better compared to the raspy baritone vocals of most modern radio rock.

You might want to shoot Auals a PM, he really seems to know his stuff about vocals.
Last edited by IcePh0enix at Dec 28, 2008,
I'm not sure how low you mean by baritone, but Mark Hoppus, at least from songs I can think of at the top ofmy head, has a lower voice for pop-punk standards

really tho pop-punk has singers with higher voices exclusively because it matches the song styles better. I mean, what pop-punk band would sound in place if they had someone with a voice like Serj Tankian? lol
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
^ Serj Tankian doesn't have that deep of a voice.

I actually noticed that too (even I do it), and I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe it's just because pop punk sounds the best in that range?
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
It'd be funny to see the singer of Type O Negative try to do pop punk with his vocals XP
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
I heard a song on the radio awhile back (I think my sister told me it was Sugarcult? I never really found out)

but the singer was singing very low.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
I thought Sugarcult was another one of those annoying whiny-voiced bands? I haven't heard them in years, I'm probably getting them mixed up with someone else.

Ooh I just thought of a good deep-voiced pop punk singer - Matt Skiba!

I'm gonna be completely honest though, I have no clue what the difference is between all those technical words for vocalists (baritone, tenor, alto, etc.)

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
sugarcult is whiny vocals.

uim not totally sure. but listen to patrick stumps vocals.
"the patron saint of liars and fakes"- when they recorded that, it was higher than his vocal range.
"thnks fr th mmrs"- in the verse he's got a lower voice, but a little higher in the chorus.

and that's all I really know about this subject
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
As important as this study is, I am definitely not going to listen to Fall Out Boy for it.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
As important as this study is, I am definitely not going to listen to Fall Out Boy for it.

well... i probably love them more than most people on this site... so i had to write that
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

Quote by mikko 9119
sugarcult is whiny vocals.

see, this is what I thought also. but I did not know who did the song so I took my sister's word for it. I don't remember the song at all though so I couldn't find it.
I just remember thinking (ironically for this thread) "wow, this is really low for a pop punk song...)

and here's a quick overview of vocal parts.

4 basic one's:

Bass -> Tenor -> Alto -> Soprano

Bass is the lower ranged guys while Tenor is the higher ranged guys.
Alto is the lower ranged girls while Soprano is the higher ranged girls.

The label Baritone means somewhere along the lines of "1st Bass" meaning higher than a Bass. This goes for all parts. 1st Tenor is higher than 2nd Tenor. 2nd Sopranoes are lower than 1st Sopranoes.

So Baritones have that middle guy range. as far as girls go, I only know the term "2nd Soprano." Not any other specific label.

So there's your vocal parts 101.

Last edited by Its_Rock77 at Dec 27, 2008,
We need auals in this thread, he could tell all :p

My musician friend says im probably a tenor. My brothers a bass. Its funny really, he seems to have better tone than me but has to sing most things an octave down.
josh, I shouldn't have said just that. I haven't heard their new stuff, so his voice may be changed.
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

Let's clear stuff up.

Patrick Stump =/= a tenor, He uses falsetto quite well.

TS probably means pop rock, cause most PP bands I listen to have baritone lead vocals, because my range goes from bass to baritone, and I have one hell of a falsetto aswell. (not to brag, I'm just lucky)
Well I mean, are some of these pop punk bands 'nasally/whiny' (classically trained vocalists would call it so, I would have to agree...doesn't have to be a bad thing, i still think it sounds good) just because of the mere fact that lots of them are barotones stretching out to hit a song written for a tenor, basically all pop punk songs? I'm a barotone and i can hit all of these notes. sure, its a stretch a bit, and its not in my natural range, but its easily do able. you can really tell the difference between like a nasally vocalist and one that can sing a song really really easily.

some quick examples off the top of my head i guess would be like comparing something corporate saosin or cartel to like matchbox romance or hawk nelson

then theres people like claudio sanchez, anthony green, sonny moore, aaron marsh and countless others that are countertenors and really define their bands with their intense ranges. i dont know...just have yet to see a really stelar standout barotone in a pop punk band.

good call with Say Anything though. he is a barotone. im talking more along the lines of pop rock powerpop stuff i guess though

edit: yea i may mean pop rock. sorry not the greatest with labels
Last edited by kcg6690 at Dec 28, 2008,
Claudio Sanchez is definitely using falsetto aswell.

Pretty sure the guy in Say anything is too, listen to wow i can Get Sexual too.
Quote by original=punk
Let's clear stuff up.

TS probably means pop rock, cause most PP bands I listen to have baritone lead vocals, because my range goes from bass to baritone, and I have one hell of a falsetto aswell. (not to brag, I'm just lucky)

I'm a baritone. I cannot hit some of his notes.

Therefore, he is a tenor.

same goes for all people, that's how I decide.

So how could I figure out what my range is, or what the name for it is?

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by Its_Rock77

I can sing his stuff quite easily, not the same tone, but I can hit those notes. He uses falsetto on every high note he hits. it's not a bad thing, it's just his style.
Quote by Its_Rock77

If what original=punk says is true that he's using falsetto to reach the tenor-high then hes not a tenor, your falsetto doesn't count as your choral range.

Jesusofserberbia its fairly easy to figure out your range just sing notes on your guitar. Basses tend to go from the low E to high e-ish, tenors go from around the low A to 4th-8th fret on high E string. Kind of rough guide. Make sure you're singing the right octave too.
i may sound stupid but whos claudio?

And disclaimer: The only person i'd completely trust to be correct about singing related things in the pp&e forum is auals
so where is auals : (

claudio sanchez is the lead singer of coheed and cambria
Quote by kcg6690
are you saying claudio is not a tenor?

theres no way hes not lol

high singing =/= tenor.

He's using falsetto.
I haven't heard much C&C, but from what I've heard... if Claudio uses his falsetto most of the time, then he has a hell of a good one.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
you guys think Claudio Sanchez is singing falsetto the entire time?

seriously?

I could very well be wrong but do you guys have any idea how hard it would be to stay in falsetto for every second of your singing? I'm pretty sure he is singing full voice.

Quote by Its_Rock77

You also have to keep in mind some people have a larger range than others. In my high school choir we had guys that would would sing either Tenor I, Tenor II or Bass I depending on which section needed more people on it. I would agree that most pop punk/pop rock vocalists fall in as tenors though, but that's not to say every single one is. There are always exceptions to the rules.
Jeff Ott comes to mind...

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
yeah, im really not convinced that he stays in a falsetto for all of that

im not sure if thats even possible. craig owens kind of sounds like he uses a falsetto most of the time though
Last edited by kcg6690 at Dec 29, 2008,
I dont think Claudio sngs falsetto all the time. I agree with Josh it would be very hard to keep that up constantly, escpacially while playing live, and ripping on the guitar like he does.
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

not to mention he sounds like he's in full voice. there is a noticable difference between the two (or 3 if you wanna count chest, head, and falsetto voices) that you guys might not be trained to hear.

but like I said, I can't be 100% sure of what anyone does.

and anyone else remember in some thread there was a guy who asked Craig Owens if he ever used falsetto.
and his reply was only "no falsetto, ever"

Quote by original=punk
Let's clear stuff up.

I don't know, I know nothing about vocals, but a lot of pop punk is pretty high. Sure, there are exceptions but most pop punk is high. I can't tell when people are using a falsetto though and I don't know the difference between the ranges so don't listen to me.

Also, the guy from Pop Unknown has one of the lowest voices I've heard in pop punk.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
From what i can remember patrick definately sounds like hes using falsetto in the intro of 'this is a scene'. Their older stuff which is all i really listen to of them i cant really tell but its not all falsetto
Quote by original=punk
Well, yeah, I generalize falsetto and head into one, because they are so similar.

yes similar, but still totally different.

your head voice is still part of your voice range while the falsetto is not.

I totally can't tell the difference between head voice and chest voice.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by Its_Rock77
you guys think Claudio Sanchez is singing falsetto the entire time?

seriously?

I could very well be wrong but do you guys have any idea how hard it would be to stay in falsetto for every second of your singing? I'm pretty sure he is singing full voice.

No, it is most definately his falsetto.

Although I do believe he is technically a tenor.

When you're trained well, using your falsetto constantly is that difficult at all
(although I know for most people when they first start out its easy at first, but then after a short period of time you begin to get light headed, it begins to hurt your head etc etc)

but trust me, with practice its not difficult at all and is actually very comfortable.

but not EVERYTHING he sings is his falsetto, of course.
but I'd probably say like 90% of what I've heard (I'm not a HUGE fan, so maybe there are songs I dont know of that he does not use his falsetto as much)

Not sure if you consider HIM to be pop/punk or anywhere related to this thread (sorry, I spend most of my time here on UG in Blues and Jazz, or 80's Shred, and of course the pit)
but Ville Vallo has a true Bariton range (I believe he practically fits the model for the standard baritone range, except he extends it slightly above)

Also Matt Skiba of Alkaline Trio is most definately a baritone.

I'll get back to you if I can manage to find any others, but like I said pop/punk is not exactly my specialty haha.

but I hope this helped some
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Page 1 of 3