Long story short, I have no idea what it means to do half and full bends. The bending itself is alright, but I can't seem to find any sort of signal to stop. That is, I can't figure out what a half and full bend are, nor when to stop to get a different note, say 18b20. How do you know what 20 sounds like? And on a seperate note, is there some sort of daily bending excersize I can adhere to? Thanks.
18b20 means you bend the 18th fret to sound like the 20th fret. So play they 20 by itself, then bend the 18 to match the sound.
Work on ear training. Get the intervals (pitch difference) of the 2 notes drilled into your head until you can recognize them right away.
Or you can buy a tuner and plug your guitar into it. Find out what the note is you're bending up too and then push up frmo the 18th until youve hit the note
bending takes alot of practice. i couldnt bend at all for a long time. but now ive gotten pretty good at it. dont try a 2 step bend at first. try some quater and half bends to get the general idea of what its supposed to sound like and how far you have to bend. for a whole step bend, you just have to know how far to bend, almost like a second nature reflex type thing.
Member of the Nick Grundy group

Creator of The American Bass Fishing Group <join it if you like to fish
Quote by Infinitives
Or you can buy a tuner and plug your guitar into it. Find out what the note is you're bending up too and then push up frmo the 18th until youve hit the note

I don't think it's very practical to have a tuner during a gig and looking at it constantly while playing.
So I guess Metallica's One isn't the proper beginning song...

Can anyone reccomend a better bending practice song?
Last edited by GrammerAngel at Dec 27, 2008,
ok... i did this to get the right pitch in my bends

play the 1st string at the 8th fret then play it at the 9th, now do a bend on the 8th string and find the pitch of the note on the 9th string, that's a half bend

now play the same but on the 10th instead on the 9th, find the pitch of the 10th fret while bending on the 8th, that's a full bend
+1

you know what "20" sounds like by playing it and, most importantly, LISTENING to it. Likewise you know wen to stop bending by LISTENING to the song. The guitar is all about your ears....don't bother trying to learn anything until you already know the guitar parts you're trying to play.

Quote by GrammerAngel
So I guess Metallica's One isn't the proper beginning song...

Can anyone reccomend a better bending practice song?

No, it's certainly not

try Highway to Hell by AC/DC or All Right Now by Free.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I am glad somone posted this as I was going to ask the same question .
So I f I was to do a full bend lets say 2nd string @ 13 fret I would go to the 2nd string @the 15th to find the sound where I would stop the bend correct?
Quote by little fingers
I am glad somone posted this as I was going to ask the same question .
So I f I was to do a full bend lets say 2nd string @ 13 fret I would go to the 2nd string @the 15th to find the sound where I would stop the bend correct?

Exactly - listen to the sound at the 15th, that's the note you want to stop bending the 13th at.

Ultimately bending is just another way of moving between two notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by pwrmax
I don't think it's very practical to have a tuner during a gig and looking at it constantly while playing.

When did I say to bring it to a gig? This is for practice in a Guitar and Bass basics, are you really that stupid to think someone will be playing at a gig when they don't even know how to gig? Yeah, shut up.
It all just comes with aural training. Once you're familiar with the notes on the fretboard than you can tell how much to bend to get to 20 from 18.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
All thats needed has been stated.

Good luck. It just takes practice, like everything else with the guitar.
Quote by Infinitives
When did I say to bring it to a gig? This is for practice in a Guitar and Bass basics, are you really that stupid to think someone will be playing at a gig when they don't even know how to gig? Yeah, shut up.

If you ever want to improve your ear training you need to get rid of the tuner and learn to play it by ear, using a tuner's like using a calculator in math. If you always practice by a tuner you will always depend on it.