ok so i just bought the live from leeds deluxe CD and me and my dad were listening to it in the car, he has no musical background and claims that all the guitar fills and solos are all just riffs they know and play whenever, i really think that it is purely amazing improv but he says im retarded, anyone have opinions?
When I was in highschool 4 or 5 years ago my history teacher crapped herself (she had a problem, she was wearing dippers and all that but damn it was retarded and funny as hell).

You could hear the farts all over the classroom, lol.
inb4rape
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
lol wuts this rape ****?
When I was in highschool 4 or 5 years ago my history teacher crapped herself (she had a problem, she was wearing dippers and all that but damn it was retarded and funny as hell).

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Idk, Pete Townshend isn't actually a great player. Fantastic songwriter and good player but I have never heard him do anything too impressive.

WHAT???

Pete Townshend is a great guitar player.... no, not as good as some that Id consider the best; hes not Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton status.....

But Id say hes probably just as good as.... um...... George Harrison?

They both developed a unique playing style and sound, but theyre not amazing.

Anyways, some good improv.... look up Jerry Garcia and the GD..... and also Phish.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Idk, Pete Townshend isn't actually a great player. Fantastic songwriter and good player but I have never heard him do anything too impressive.

This... minus the "fantastic writer" part.
the reason pete townshend and others like mark knopfler are underrated is because they dotn show off, they show their creativity and talent but do not have those epic 2 minute solos that show off there skill

Quote by MexXxicanSeafoo
the reason pete townshend and others like mark knopfler are unde is because they dotn show off, they show their creativity and talent but do not have those epic 2 minute solos that show off there skill

yeah, Mark Knopfler is amazing.

Theyre just not arrogant and selfish and dont like to show off and take away everyone elses light.
townshend is good. not the greatest but i do enjoy his playing, he's a pretty humble player
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Not that bad. Today I was with my dad in the car when Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child started.
He switched song .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by aaronob

But Id say hes probably just as good as.... um...... George Harrison?

**** no dude. geo ****s all over him.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
**** no dude. geo ****s all over him.

Why?

I like George Harrisons personality better but I think in the way of guitar playing theyre equally skilled.
Pete Townshend is my favorite guitar player... and for those of you who say he doesn't "show off"... watch a f'ing Who DVD... he is the most over the top, ridiculous, wind-milling, guitar smashing, maniac of a guitarist I've ever seen. He's also quite fantastic.

And yes, it is improv. He does not have everything he plays memorized. A lot of it is riffs, and stuff he's played before in that particular song. But any good guitarist improvises solos and such.
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
Townshend does do all of those crazy tricks, but he doesn't do 5 minute long finger tapping fast as hell solos. So I think its a wash.