I know there's a thread going around that talks about the music no one should play at guitar stores. So, what should people play to try out the gear before buying it? I only ask because I'm barely an intermediate player, if that (1.5 years, without more than 2 hours of practice a week most of the time).

Side story: Today I went shopping for distortion pedals and totally blanked out on what to play. Tried out a Big Muff, a Russian Big Muff, a Metal Muff, and a DigiTech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion. Ended up leaving with the last one (http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-HardWire-Series-TL-2-Metal-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-105018675-i1410005.gc), was disappointed by the muffs, which produced way too much digital fuzz. While trying these out, I couldn't figure our what to play. I just did a basic power chord progression and played some of Metallica's Seek and Destroy. Totally forgot everything else I knew...

What do you guys generally play at guitar stores to test the gear? Both easy and difficult suggestions are welcome
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Last edited by KolosoK at Dec 26, 2008,
If they want your money they better leave you alone. play what you like.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I start by fretting every note on the fretboard. I don't give a f*** if it annoys anyone, I don't want to purchase a crap guitar because I was trying not to inconvenience some one who works there.
I play whatever I feel like. I like to warm up with a few scale runs, kind of get used to the neck of the guitar. Then I just play whatever I feel like. Sometimes I'll play a cover, sometimes an original. Once or twice I've just slipped into a brand new lick and gone off from there. It also depends on what amp/effects I'm trying out, and just what mood I'm in.

In the end you should play whatever you'd play at home, because you want to understand how a guitar fits to your style. It's no good playing "Red House" if you're gonna be taking the guitar/amp/effect home to play Metallica on.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
i do the same thing sometimes. so if i know that im heading to the guitar shop anytime soon i plan a day or two ahead, i.e. make up a few licks and remember to at least play those. i have a bad case of blanking infront of people at guitar stores
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
dosent matter what you play, you play whatever the d*** hell you want...your giving THEM business which ALLOWS them to get in new products, keep there jobs and meet supply and demand, the hell with the guitar techie or cashier servicers, you wanna play a butchered up version of smoke on the water go for it, wanna play an alternate version of master of puppets go for it, go play dragon force's through the fire and flames in the store lol. anyways to answer your question...i play whatever, scales, bits and peices of songs just whatever comes to mind just as long as i can see the guitars potential or the amps, pedals or whatevers potential.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
I use Master of Puppets to test the neck. I was trying out Schecters today(I fell in love with the Damien) and I noticed one of them had a weird bulge at the top of the neck that was really uncomfortable when I was playing the hard riff in MOP. Then I do a scale between 12-19 to check the action. I usually blank out after that and play Power Rangers.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
Enter Sandman is a great tone tester, and Master Of Puppets is a great fretboard tester lol. Perhaps I'm just partial to Metallica.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
The replies make me feel way better. Going back to GC tomorrow to claim $15 (they were selling the TL-2s for $100 instead of $85 like the site says) and possibly look for a new guitar.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
well I usually just mess around tweak some knobs and such for a few mins and then that blank feeling leaves then I just play the stuff I normally play whether it be some all summer long or some enter sandman either way I play a wide variety so I usually do that sense I wanna get something suiting my needs
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
i really dont know whats so wrong with being a "noob" we were all noobs at one point in our lives and we all sucked so badly that it made the neihbors dogs howl like coyotes howling to the blue full moon.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
I generally play a few chords, play a few scale runs, a few random licks here and there. All I really need to get a feel for what I'm playing. I don't really like to sit there and play songs in a music store.
i don't really play anything when testing stuff.

for example today when i was guitar shopping. i would grab a guitar, set the amp on clean, strum a few chords then play a few notes, swap to the next pickup and do the same and go through all the pickups. i would do that on clean, low gain, mid and high gain to see how it handles under different amounts of gain. then i would fiddle with the tone and volume knobs and see how much they affected the guitar. then maybe if i haven't spent half an hour testing out a guitar i might play a few licks to feel out a guitar.

that is how i test a guitar out.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

i usually play the stuff i play at home..
paul gilbert stuff, scales, racer x, megadeth, less popular metallica stuff, slayer.

pretty much just play the stuff that you play at home.
play stuff in the styles you like (or make up some riffs) to see if the gear does what you want it to do maybe?

it isn't about ripping a 12 year old's face off with righteous chops and shreddery. i'm in my own (metaphorical) sound proof bubble when i'm guitar shopping, i couldn't give two ****s what anyone else thinks.
Everyone has that problem.

I just improvise a few licks in the store depending on the pedal/amp I'm using.
If I'm testing a clean channel on an amp, I'll play the start of One by Metallica usually. If I'm using a lead channel or a distortion pedal, I'll either make something up or play a Metallica or A7X riff.
Master of Puppets is a good one for testing I think.

I just go in and show off with some metallica, lol, all metalheads here in Toowoomba.
Olp MM1
Digitech DF7
Randall RG-40r
Tanglewood Acoustic
I was just at guitar center to buy a new wah pedal, so I ran through a lot of popular wah songs. Bad horsie, prowler, enter sandman, etc, as well as just noodling around. Gotta play a wide variety to get a feel for what you want.