Im trying to do something different with the whole christian/rock/worship thing and as you all know it could be pretty repetitive. so heres my lame attempt but im trying. Im shooting to do something like bb king/blues meets ambient worship music.

This song I have starts of with this little intro kinda thing which i might end up sticking somewhere else but its kinda the basis of my song.

Intro (notes possibly played by keyboard/synth)

D------0-----0-------0-----0
A----4-----4-------4-----4
E--5-----5-------5-----5

Im using power chords for the verse/chorus but ill post the whole chords that way you guys have more resources to let me know what key its in.

Progression 1&2

1. A/A7-C#m-D
2. A/A7-C#m-Bm

thats what i have for now but i might add some flavor to those roots dunno as of yet. Im for sure probably gonna be playing pm'd Power chords over that or maybe replace that in whole with power chords.

Phrasing/soloing

I like this BB king box! Ive found tons of licks within it just by messing around a few hours on it. the box is supposdley in A when positioning/aligning the root note(red dot) on the 10th fret 2nd string

http://z.about.com/d/guitar/1/0/j/7/bbkingfavoritenotes.gif

So my main concern as of now is this in the key of A Major? if it is say I want to play the blues scale over it would I have to play A blues or F# blues(being the relative minor)? that would really affect my song being correct or incorrect so to say. Any help appreciated. also dont know if this belongs here or on songwriting forum.
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
Last edited by Esp_kill07 at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by inbloom27
yes, it is in A major but its a very bluesy thing to do when soloing to go from a major to minor and back and forth.

so your saying for the phrasing its ok to use A blues scale even though the notes mostly contained in it comes from an A minor pentatonic scale?
thats what i have for now but i might add some flavor to those roots dunno as of yet. Im for sure probably gonna be playing pm'd Power chords over that or maybe replace that in whole with power chords.
So is it certain (for sure) or is it likely (probably). Certain and likely are two completely different terms

That progression is pretty non-diatonic. It's not a progression you can play one scale over. You'd either need to change the progression or you would need to play the changes.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
looks fairly diatonic to the key of D to me, or could be A major with a G chromatic.
Quote by Declan87
looks fairly diatonic to the key of D to me, or could be A major with a G chromatic.
Dmaj scale: D E F# G A B C# D
C#maj chord: C# E# G#

I fail to see an E# or a G# in there

A B C# D D# E E# F# G G#

^Here^ are all the notes used in that progression. With an A# and an F it would be a complete chromatic scale.

It's a non-diatonic progression
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
oh snap sorry guys i forgot to put the "m" on front of the c# its an c#m chord. darn i probably shifted everything around. or does it really matter. well yeah my first progression is gonna be An A or A7 then C#m then D. 2nd progression A or A7 then C#m then Bm.

So does A blues fit a-ok?
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Isn't that box just a cut out of the 2nd pentatonic position?

I have no idea but i can see what your talking about. Man those notes on the top 3 strings are great
No, I'm actually 100% sure right now

E----8---10
B----8---10
G----7---9
D----7---10
A----7---10
E----8---10

A minor pentatonic, 2nd position, the bottom six notes.
ah ok yeah your right wow thats interesting.
noo noo im seriously thankful for explaining that to me if you wouldnt have told me i wouldnt have recognized/caught it. Im not gonna diss someone whos trying to explain something to me here. sorry nilp if you thought i was being sarcastic i wasnt though
Quote by Esp_kill07
noo noo im seriously thankful for explaining that to me if you wouldnt have told me i wouldnt have recognized/caught it. Im not gonna diss someone whos trying to explain something to me here. sorry nilp if you thought i was being sarcastic i wasnt though

Yeah, I'm not emotionally scarred

It just sounded exactly like something that one of my friends would say if he was being sarcastic
well im sorry for that i apologize.
Yep, pure A major.

I wouldn't play A minor pentatonic over the whole thing. It's better to stick to A major or A major pentatonic (same notes as F#minor pentatonic) if you want to achieve a sound closer to BB kings sound.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Yep, pure A major.

I wouldn't play A minor pentatonic over the whole thing. It's better to stick to A major or A major pentatonic (same notes as F#minor pentatonic) if you want to achieve a sound closer to BB kings sound.

yeah that was my first guess to stick with A major pentatonic, but im a lil confused because someone posted something about sticking with A blues. If I use A blues wouldnt i be playing mostly minor so its not correct?
Quote by demonofthenight
So is it certain (for sure) or is it likely (probably). Certain and likely are two completely different terms

That progression is pretty non-diatonic. It's not a progression you can play one scale over. You'd either need to change the progression or you would need to play the changes.

+1
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M