I bought a Breedlove AD25/SM about a week ago, and I am restringing it right now. Breedloves have pinless bridges.. my old guitar had a pinned bridge, so I'm not used to restringing on this.

Anyways it seems very simple.. you feed the string through the side of the bridge and it comes up and you pull it up to the peg, over the saddle and into the peg..

The problem is - I am pushing the string through the hole in the bridge and it gets stuck.. it wont come out the other end (where a peg would be.. where the ball lodges) and it's annoying the crap out of me. I somehow got the e, b, and g strings through after some wiggling, but I am having so much trouble with the D string.

It gets stuck and wont slide up and out of the other end!

Any tricks I can do?!
try putting a slight bend in the very end of the string. sounds like it's getting ung up on the wood somewhere in the hole. i have a similiar prob with a mid 80's washburn electric with a wonder bar on it. if it won't go, i just put a little bend on it. bingo, done deal
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
Alright I'll try it! Thanks - it's getting stuck in the wood in the hole like you say. I can see it through the hole but its just sticking into the wood and won't budge.. on the D string I had to take an X-Acto blade and prop it up with that!

Thank you very much! I just did the A string in a second because of the slight bend.. now I won't have to worry about stringing anymore.

This definitely shows that stringing is easier on the pinned bridge, but what are advantages of the pinless? Sound quality?
^--The biggest advantage of a pinless bridge system is that its easier and quicker to change strings. You are the first person Ive ever known who's had more trouble stringing a guitar with a pinless bridge.
DO NOT .... repeat ....DO NOT use "adamas 1818 acoustic light" strings on a Breedlove pin less bridge.
The ball ends are simply too large.
Not a bad reflection on the strings but .... it took me a bloody 45 min or so to get the damn ball ends out of the bridge.
Reverted to having to get a hooked scribe (pick) to slowly pry the jammed ball ends out of the recessed holes.
So much for speed of changing strings.
D'Adddario fit well.
(No connection to D'Addario brand whatsoever)
Quote by tom183
^--The biggest advantage of a pinless bridge system is that its easier and quicker to change strings. You are the first person Ive ever known who's had more trouble stringing a guitar with a pinless bridge.
You can do wonderful things when restringing most pin-less bridges. For example I have a semi-hollow hybrid 12 string with a pin-less bridge. You cut off about 4" or so of the old E-6 string, and use it to push in the center holes of the ball ends. You put it in each ball end as you string, and when you're done, you have the ball end holes in perfect alignment,. It's almost a work of art, I tell you.

(This is only for Ovation style bridges, with less than half round detentes for the string balls. It obviously won't work if the string ball ends are fully recessed).

I don't suppose the TS would like to hear about trying to restring my other 12? It's a through the body bridge . Whereas you have 1 entry hole, and 2 exit holes for each string pair. You shove the strings into the bottom of the guitar, and which hole on the top it's going to come out of, is anybody's guess.

I know this post doesn't help, but I was recently told that commiseration is good for all souls involved.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 27, 2015,
You guys have to check the date! hahaha This thread is from 2008.
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
Last edited by NougatOfficial at Feb 27, 2015,
I have the same "problem" for my Breedlove too. I use a bit of the old string to manoeuvre it up and through to the saddle. Sometimes it pisses me off. But it usually works out without too much trouble.
Quote by NougatOfficial
You guys have to check the date! hahaha This thread is from 2008.
I'm pleading temporary insanity. Besides, I wasn't the one that originally necro-bumped it...