how much is a good mesa combo amp?

im not sure at all how much a mesa combo cost's, but i'll be goin to test some out and dont want to waste my time. i have $650-1000 for a amp.

i hear lots of good things of mesa's and im lookin for a mesa tube thats LOUD.
I don't think I know of one that I personally would recommend in that price range :S
Edit: Check craigslist if you don't mind going used. There are some hidden gems.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
I didn't know they made a bad one. And I see them used in that range all the time. Check your local craigslist. Which mesa is another story, it depends on what you play etc.
arent mesas waaaay more expensive than you're price range?
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
F and DC series go around $600-700, Rectoverb is about $800 and the Express series is probably the same. People seem to be bipolar with the Mark series. Sometimes they are under $900 and other times they're over. Depend on the models I guess.

But you never know if you might get something way less. I seen tremoverbs went for $800-1000 and they're great (and weigh over 100lbs. ).
Mesa Boogie Roadster combo. It can get all those tones from ur favorite bands. a bit expensive tho.
Quote by gregs1020
I didn't know they made a bad one.

Well, the maverick combo I played was less than stellar.
Definitely wasn't bad though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by LocalDealer14
my main influences are black sabbath,nirvana, and guns n roses.

Well nothing against Mesa but why Mesa? There are other amps that can hit the rather vintage tones your after. You could find a decent marshall clone as well in that price range. I realize cobain used a fender but "his tone" is relatively achievable.

Quote by darkarbiter7
Well, the maverick combo I played was less than stellar.
Definitely wasn't bad though.

I have not played that one. I liked the F-30 I played and generally haven't heard many complaints other than one guy that has insane gear - who will remain nameless I hope.
im buying a new combo amp, but i was curiouse about the mesa's. im probably gonna end up playing every amp in guitar center. i have a solid state 212 fender now, and it doesnt sound too good with pedals.
That's a good idea, play as many as you can. Some SS amps seem allergic to pedals. Try to play a Traynor YCV50 Blue if you can, it would be good for what you play. Don't be afraid to buy used once you know what amps work for you. You can save a lot of money doing so.
You might also want to check some non-chain store shops b.c guitar center usually only has big names.

Based on your tastes I would not get a mesa. Why?
Simple, the bands you listed use british-voiced amplifiers (Vox, Laney, Orange, Marshall), and the mesas are american voiced amplifiers (such as fenders and some peaveys).

What is the difference? British voiced amps draw on from the EL34/EL84 power tube sound, have chunky mids, punchier lows, and sheering highs.
American voiced amplifiers, which generally use the 6l6 power tube tone and voicing tend to have boomier flabbier bass, smooth highs, and very tight mids.
Quote by Highwaytohell
You might also want to check some non-chain store shops b.c guitar center usually only has big names.

Based on your tastes I would not get a mesa. Why?
Simple, the bands you listed use british-voiced amplifiers (Vox, Laney, Orange, Marshall), and the mesas are american voiced amplifiers (such as fenders and some peaveys).

What is the difference? British voiced amps draw on from the EL34/EL84 power tube sound, have chunky mids, punchier lows, and sheering highs.
American voiced amplifiers, which generally use the 6l6 power tube tone and voicing tend to have boomier flabbier bass, smooth highs, and very tight mids.

I have to disagree a bit with the tube characerization. To my ears El34s have always had the looser low end imo and more mids and slightly rolled off highs whereas 6L6s have m punchier, tighter lows and chiming, more bell like highs.
i bought my DC-3 near perfect condition for 450 bucks US. great for everything because of the 5 band eq along with the 3 band eq for each channel. i can cover metal to anything really. great cleans for a tube amp. lots of headroom.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Craigslist. You can find anything on there if you take some time to check Craigslist. Ive seen Mark series combos on there (my favorite) for 500-1000, all the rectos, pretty much anything. But dont rule out other finds on there you might strike gold.
'07 MIM Strat
Maple Neck
Black Finish
Black Pickguard
Black EMG SA set
Planet Waves Locking Tuners

Roland JC-77 Jazz Chorus

Boss PW-2 Power Driver
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby Original Wah
Footswitch for Amp chorus
Boss Flanger