Right now I have a Spider III amp with many built in presets and such. I have heard from many others that it is a better idea to buy a good head and cabinet (not built in to each other) and then use pedals for good quality effects. I am strongly leaning towards going this route and I am wondering what advice people had. I play almost exclusively metal, and were I to buy this very instant, I would have about $800-$900 to spend on new gear (this includes selling old gear). I would be willing to save longer in order to get better equipment, but what do you all suggest me doing? Thanks.
Actually, buying a combo is a much better value than buying a head and cab most of the time. Also, what type of metal are you playing? Metal is a broad catagory.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
900 dollars is much better spent on a combo than a halfstack.
Go with a combo.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by classicrocker01
Actually, buying a combo is a much better value than buying a head and cab most of the time. Also, what type of metal are you playing? Metal is a broad catagory.

Agreed.

TS: How much are you willing to push the budget?
So I'm hearing support in sticking with a combo. My question then is when is the time to switch from a combo to a stack of some sort?
When your playing Wembly F*cking Stadium. Actually not even then, most larger venues have PAs to mic an amp through. This is provided that the combo is loud enough to jam with a band, which anything >30ish watts is.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

like cr01 said, u get a halfstack wen u are signed by warner and are playing arenas, dont bother with a halfstack, ur gonna break ur back hauling it to gigs or practice. combos are the way to go, the only difference would b sound richness, if ur playing a tube amp at half volume , a 4x12 will sound better then a 1x12 or a 2x12, but a 1x12 can still pump out a good amount of sound.
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
I realize I must sound like an idiot, but I really do not know about this stuff, as far as when to upgrade and when not to. I am playing small shows, nothing more than a medium-sized venue. My combo amp has a max of 60 watts, so I mean...am I good for this kind of thing? No need to upgrade any time soon? Also, would a stack have a better sound? The amp I use has quite a few presets and I just want to be sure it sounds the best possible. Would using distortion pedals and such be worthwhile on a cleaner setting through this amp or would that worsen things?
Spiders are horrible amps, if you don't hear that now you will later. If you will tell us what kind of metal you play, we can recommend you a great amp with the budget you posted.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I would have to say I mainly focus in on playing styles like Metallica's "Master of Puppets", "Ride the Lightning", and "...And Justice for All". Some Megadeth-sounding as well, but mainly that genre I suppose.
A used Mesa F-30, DC or any other Mesa you could find for that price really, Peavey Ultra, Peavey XXX, maybe a Peavey 5150 or 6505. I suppose you could get a Marshall JCM, but it would need an overdrive pedal.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Lots of good combos in that price range. You can always add another 2x12 or 4x12 cab to the combo for a half or 3/4 stack.
Quote by classicrocker01
A used Mesa F-30, DC or any other Mesa you could find for that price really, Peavey Ultra, Peavey XXX, maybe a Peavey 5150 or 6505. I suppose you could get a Marshall JCM, but it would need an overdrive pedal.

Yeah, any of these amps would work well for you, TS. Go to Guitar Center or whatever music store and try em out, see which you like best!
So everyone seems pretty convinced I should get rid of my Line 6 amp ASAP and get a new combo (let me know if this is incorrect). After doing some research the Peavey 6505 212 Combo 2x12 seems like it would be a good choice for my style of music. Is this the best way to go?
Yes, they are good amps, but I've heard the combo can sound fizzy at low volumes. I have only played the head, but I've heard it is better than the combo. But since your playing gigs, you should be able to turn it up enough to get rid of the fiz. It still won't sound anywhere near as fizzy as your Spider. If I was you, I'd do it.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

This is probably a really dumb question but...can the head make any noise on its own, or does it have to be hooked up to a cabinet?
The only noise you'll hear is the amp blowing up if you're not using a cab.
It needs a cab
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^ And possibly fire truck sirens.

Oh, and your cat burning. Seriously, the amp completely fries, and I don't doubt that it could, with the right conditions, start a fire.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

i dont really agree with everyone saying that you dont need a halfstack till you are playing stadiums. i would agree that you dont need one until you are very comfortable tweaking your sound and know exactly what you want. finding a nice head-cab combination is a fun task that can take lots of patience if you really want to find the right setup for you. if you know exactly what you are looking for and really want to tweak the details, then a head an cab may be the way to go. however, most poeple on UG (you included) arent at this point so should probably stick to combos (unless youve got a couple grand to blow).

other than that, i dont really know of any good metal amps as i never play that style, so ill just back out now
Quote by classicrocker01

This, but if you could fork it you could swing for a used JSX Satriani Custom Peavy combo. (Although I'm planning on getting the head)
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society