At the moment, the pickups in my lovable crapstravaganza of an LP are a Dimarzio Steve's Special in the bridge and a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck. These days, I play a lot more than metal (like when i put in the steve's special) and am looking for a little more chunk and fatness in my bridge pickup. I know that some guys, like Pepper Keenan, have a p90 in the neck and a bucker in the bridge, but can one have a p90 in the bridge and a bucker in the neck?

Anyway, the main point is, should I get a p90 for fatter leads and rhythms? If so, it's going to be a GFS, and should I purchase one, should it be the Dream 90 or Mean 90?
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Not really sure where the p90 idea came from, but chunk and fatness are really the last thing I'd use to describe a p90.

Also, keep in mind that a normal-sized p90 does not fit in a humbucker slot.

edit: Wow, a lot of people are going for GFS pickups these days.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by al112987
Not really sure where the p90 idea came from, but chunk and fatness are really the last thing I'd use to describe a p90.

Also, keep in mind that a normal-sized p90 does not fit in a humbucker slot.

yes, the ghs p90s fit in humbucker slots.

anyway, i always was under the impression that despite its single coil the p90 was fat. but whatever.

other suggestions for fat tone?
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Well... personally, I've been riding the WCR bandwagon the past few weeks. I'm really quite a fan of the Fillmores...

http://www.wcrguitar.com/fillmore_clips.html

That to me sounds pretty damn fat. Though they're a tad (a rather large tad...) pricier than the GFS offering.

Um... have you looked at the PAF copies from GFS? That maybe what you need. That's what I'd be looking at personally. I've actually played a guitar with some sort of GFS PAF replica, I thought it was pretty decent. I mean, it was certainly not worse than the Seymour Duncan '59 I had in my guitar at the time.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 27, 2008,