I just got a new Crate V18 1x12. I really like the tone when I get it cranked with overdrive, but when I play really clean stuff on the low E string, it makes this makes this vibrating sound, which badly distorts the sound. Is this probably just a crappy speaker?
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
check for loose tubes first thing. it could be a bad tube though too. I'm not sure though because I'm not terribly familiar with the problems that tube amps have.
Ok, because I don't want to replace the speaker if it is a tube problem, and vice versa.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
that's understandable. I know that I would hate to shell out cash for something and have it not fix the problem.
Where do you have the bass set on the amp? Crackling usually makes me think cable but if it's only on the E then that's likely not it. Do you have any fret buzz on that string anywhere on the fretboard?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'd make sure everything is tightened up (speaker, reverb tank)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Ok, I opened up the bad boy and the tubes seem to be in securely. The reverb and speaker are tightened as much as possible. Does that mean it's probably the speaker is lame?
Last edited by JesusLives at Dec 27, 2008,
It could be... if we had an audio clip, we can narrow down what it might be.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Ok where is a good place to upload audio files.

It basically sounds like the speaker is distorting, even the volume and gain are very low.
bump
I have the same thing going on with my new crate v50. Is it just a little buzzing on the lower strings. I'm not sure what it is, but it shouldn't be a big problem. I'll check mine tomorrow and then let you know what was wrong with mine. I'm thinking its the bass(its got a huge ass low end), but something could be loose as well. I'm betting on that. I think its going to be common with the more recently made crate because they were made in china.

Edit: I just seen you said on the clean channel. Mine only happens on distortion. So I think its just rattling on mine. Again, I'll look mine over and let you know.
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.