Hi, first post ever, I think I've got the right forum.

So I'm one of two guitarists in a small jam(hopefully future band, but you can hardly call it a band yet). My two friends(bass and drums), my brother(guitar) and myself(guitar) have only played for around 1-2 years in our respected instrument, so naturally we aren't mastering anything quite yet.

To get straight to the point, we are trying to figure out whether to:

1. Start covering stuff or
2. Start making our own material

Well, considering we have almost no experience in coordination between ourselves, our first jam was trying to cover a few "easy" songs. Although, my friend drummer wants to cover some Iron Maiden... which is just dumb and mind blowing to imagine. He says that I'm "underestimating our ability to play". We've only just covered the first parts of Reptilia, Smells like Teen Spirit, and Come Out and Play(we are so indecisive...).

So, do you think beginning bands should attempt things such as Iron Maiden? If not, what are good songs for beginning bands to cover?

I'm also finding it tough since a lot of bands don't seem to have two guitarists and a bassist, so a lot of the music we like is kind of off limits(in a way). Any ideas how to keep 2 guitarists happy? Just both play the same part, or maybe bounce the parts between us?

edit: Offspring title mistake
Last edited by aesiir at Dec 27, 2008,
ive always thought that when picking songs to cover, you should always pick something you all enjoy listening to first. work towards something, dont just limit yourself thru ability.

but of course, dont pick like, paul gilbert or dragonforce, do something youll have at least a shot at if you practice. only way to get better.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
depends what you like musically alternative u could play santeria or something like that by sublime metal pretty much all metallica is easy iron maidens wicker man is pretty easy and the trooper is pretty easy most black sabbath is very easy and heavy

and that is probably the worst little run on sentence as for the guitars harmonize or one plays clean parts of song other play distorted or take turns riffing
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
I agree. And Kudos for the proper grammar.

I remember starting with some AC/DC. Easy stuff. But Teen Spirit is a good choice, and by "Keep 'em Separated, I assume you mean Come Out and Play by The Offspring.

Just play around with your favorite bands. For Whom The Bell Tolls is a great starter song and still fun for me and the band to jam at practice.
Quote by TK1
ive always thought that when picking songs to cover, you should always pick something you all enjoy listening to first. work towards something, dont just limit yourself thru ability.

Pick something you all enjoy, and like he said, don't just stick to the simple songs, try and push yourselves. IMO, a lot of songs that are easier than they sound are in drop D [not ALL of them in drop D are easy, but a lot that sound quite gud are]

Senses fail have some quite easy songs to cover, i don't really know bout the drums in their songs, but i think they may quite hard, but with a year+ experience, your drummer should be able to improvise a simple 4/4 beat.

Hope that helped, good luck.
Be sure that everyone has the ability to stay in time. You'll never be able to keep it all together if noone can stay in time. A good drummer DEFINITELY helps with this, but it's still important for you to be able to yourself.

Sitting down with a metronome is probably the best thing that you can do when you're trying to learn a song. I've got no band experience, but I can tell you that working a part by metronome definitely helps you master it, probably even moreso than doing it with the original part. A lot of great reasons for using a metronome are the fast that if a particular part is too fast for you to play, you can work up to it, while still establishing the timing on the part, regardless of tempo. It is especially helpful when learning solos, because you can start them off really slowly, and then work them up. 5 bpm at a time definitely helps, because you're teaching your fingers what they need to do during a song or solo. It's no good to learn how to play a song at full tempo if every note is extremely sloppy.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Well by staying in your safe zone you're not gonna improve. Have a go at some Maiden stuff. BUT, get it perfect before you even think of performing it to an audience.

Now you also asked whether you should cover or write original stuff.
For now, get a couple of covers together, then start writing your own stuff.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
bands like jet, the white stripes and wolfmother are definitely your friends when youre just starting out
Also, to answer your question about writing originals or doing covers, it all depends on what you and the rest of the band wants to do. If you wanna write your own music, then do it. But if you're completely content to just play other people's music, why do something that you don't want to?
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)