So I'm need new pickups because I finally realized my stock ones suck.

Playing lots of metal ( As Blood Runs Black, Children of Bodom etc.), through a standard les paul.

And I'm on a budget. Don't wanna spend more than 100 bucks for one.
Help?
I'm presuming you want humbuckers.

I think Seymour Duncan has some good humbuckers that don't break the bank too badly.

Are you OK with ordering online?

Because. 2 SD Humbuckers (assuming you order online) only cost $120. (well, 124. They're 62 bucks each).
Last edited by I play G and L at Dec 27, 2008,
buy some on musicians friend by tomorrow night and you can get them on sale. buy EMG's. Standard metal pups.. i've tried them and i like them.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
EMGs are great for metal. But I heard they aren't very versatile for other music.

If you're getting EMG's, get an 81/85 set.
Quote by I play G and L
EMGs are great for metal. But I heard they aren't very versatile for other music.

If you're getting EMG's, get an 81/85 set.

yeah but together from guitar center it's about 175+

yeah has anybody experienced or heard the new dimetime pickups?
they look alright...

edit: also, can i use active humbuckers in my les paul? i know nothing about the active vs. passive thing
Last edited by puppetmaster93 at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by puppetmaster93
yeah but together from guitar center it's about 175+

yeah has anybody experienced or heard the new dimetime pickups?
they look alright...

edit: also, can i use active humbuckers in my les paul? i know nothing about the active vs. passive thing

You want to know what I find hilarious?

1) People actually like Dimebag Darrell's tone
2) The fact that Dimebag Darrell used Bill Lawrence L-500 humbuckers, then, he died, Seymour Duncan basically copied the L-500s, makes a horrible sounding pickup, and markets them with Dimebag's name to buyers, and kids will go out to buy them because they're called the Dimebucker. Now there is this whole line of pickups that are supposed to get Dimebag Darrell's tone, which he didn't even use, and the real kicker is, the pickup he actually DID use, is cheaper than all of these signature models.

This kind of exploitation is so poorly done that it's almost funny that these horrendous pickups do as well as they have been doing. I laugh to myself every time I see some 15 year old metal head walk out of guitar center with one of these things.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by al112987
You want to know what I find hilarious?

1) People actually like Dimebag Darrell's tone
2) The fact that Dimebag Darrell used Bill Lawrence L-500 humbuckers, then, he died, Seymour Duncan basically copied the L-500s, makes a horrible sounding pickup, and markets them with Dimebag's name to buyers. Now there is this whole line of pickups that are supposed to get Dimebag Darrell's tone, which he didn't even use, and the real kicker is, the pickup he actually DID use, is cheaper than all of these signature models.

Hey Man, Dimebag played metal, and that's what I play. I heard they sounded alright, i know nothing about his original pickups. and i was just wondering geez
Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out about that. Take it as an off topic bit of knowledge, it's just that I saw another line of Dimebag signature products released and it just made me lose myself for a bit.
Okay, back on topic, how are the rockfield mafias?
saw em mentioned above, but seem cheap, maybe thats just me.
What amp are you using?

[EDIT]nvm, I saw your profile. Your pickups don't suck, you're not even in a position to evaluate them.

Your amp however, sucks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
What amp are you using?

[EDIT]nvm, I saw your profile. Your pickups don't suck, you're not even in a position to evaluate them.

Your amp however, sucks.

naw man, i ran through my friends 50 watt marshall stack and it wasnt anywhere near his sg. and besides they're good for warm tones but i want high gain sounds with a kick. they just aren't for my type of music. and that's why im askin the good people of UG what should i do?

edit: and by the way the pickups on my guitar arent the originals, the guy at the pawn told me that. but they're some form of covered humbucker, not sure if gibson or not. anyway I wanna replace em and i need good quality ones that dont bang my wallet and offer good tones for my kinda music.
Last edited by puppetmaster93 at Dec 27, 2008,
Any pickup change will just be a waste of money until you've got rid of the Spider - also your friends Marshall wasn't an MG was it?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by puppetmaster93
Okay, back on topic, how are the rockfield mafias?
saw em mentioned above, but seem cheap, maybe thats just me.

well there supposed to be made to not break the bank without sacrificing quality, which is exactly what they do, there only 50 dollars each but sound like something that costs a hundred

i think this is partially due to the fact that rockfield isnt a company that tries to rip you off

what kind of metal do you like to play?
Quote by steven seagull
Any pickup change will just be a waste of money until you've got rid of the Spider - also your friends Marshall wasn't an MG was it?

naw jcm800
damn good one if u ask me

but i dont even play my spider. just for practice.
i play it through his marshall we're in a band together. he plays through his fender super lead or whatever, cuz he uses his strat more than his sg. anyways to the point, when we play through his marshall it's not the sound i want.