drummer just got a mixer, and we've have mics and such for instruments, now how do we mic up the drums
if it helps he has a 8 piece tama, with 2 crashes, a ride, and hats, pretty dam big
would a condenser or two be the best way?
here's the requirements:
-budget is somewhat tight, for overall mic stuff nothing over 200 bucks (american)
-we have enough channels, so number of mics isn't really important, but yet it has to follow these guidelines
somewhere i heard two shure sm57s hung down would pickup things nicely?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
your best bet on a budget, without worrying too much about sound quality would be two overheads, aligned diagonally across the kit so the snare sits right in the center (i can give you a diagram if you need), and one sm57 about an Inch of the head of the snare. And if cash permits another condenser of some sort inside the bass drum (yes inside).

This gets a full sound scape of the drums, with the freedom to level the snare as you please.

I can only guarantee you one thing here... imperfection

Unless you can find a used set of drum mics, in which case, the same as above, but one mic per drum.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
For kick drum : Use a bass microphone.The CF series Shenheizerzers are realy good,if you want a more boomy sound put the mic more outside the hole,if you want it to be more high pitched put it more inside the hole.
For snare : I use a Shure SM57,and it rules.If you need more hit put the mic more at the center,if tone is what you need put it more to the side.
Toms : I cant say much about toms,but i think a simple Shure or any other mic placed at anywhere you like is good.Just experiment with the sound.Id say if you have an oppurtunity mic every single tom seperately,then pan them to make a good sounding panorama.
Cymbals : Two,identical condensor mics (pencil type) puted over the set is what you need.It will get everything.Just dont forget to turn the highs down and the mids up a little bit at the mixer.
Ambience : if you have the budget you can put a condensor mic far from the kit,it will get a more natural ambience.If you cant,just put some reverb on your pc.
Quote by Shredder XXX
your best bet on a budget, without worrying too much about sound quality would be two overheads, aligned diagonally across the kit so the snare sits right in the center (i can give you a diagram if you need), and one sm57 about an Inch of the head of the snare. And if cash permits another condenser of some sort inside the bass drum (yes inside).

This gets a full sound scape of the drums, with the freedom to level the snare as you please.

Unless you can find a used set of drum mics, in which case, the same as above, but one mic per drum.

Id like that diagram myself
Quote by Shredder XXX

nice suggestion, why the condenser in the bass drum?
i'll look into drum mics, what do you recommend?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by 742627000017
For kick drum : Use a bass microphone.The CF series Shenheizerzers are realy good,if you want a more boomy sound put the mic more outside the hole,if you want it to be more high pitched put it more inside the hole.
For snare : I use a Shure SM57,and it rules.If you need more hit put the mic more at the center,if tone is what you need put it more to the side.
Toms : I cant say much about toms,but i think a simple Shure or any other mic placed at anywhere you like is good.Just experiment with the sound.Id say if you have an oppurtunity mic every single tom seperately,then pan them to make a good sounding panorama.
Cymbals : Two,identical condensor mics (pencil type) puted over the set is what you need.It will get everything.Just dont forget to turn the highs down and the mids up a little bit at the mixer.
Ambience : if you have the budget you can put a condensor mic far from the kit,it will get a more natural ambience.If you cant,just put some reverb on your pc.

that sounds awesome, but could you get all that for cheap?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Here's the mic-ing image, basically the positioning of the mics creates a sound picture whereby the snare is right in the center, just like you want it in the mix. (note the center line on both diagrams)

The condenser IN the bass drum is just something I've picked up at uni, basically it gives the fat-ass bass from the drum as well as the sharp attack from the beater. Meaning a well rounded sound.

Generally, for drum mics you can get a Shure set that will last forever and sound great, I personally do not use this system, but that's because I have the means to chuck a 57 on each of my drummers hi toms and a 57 + 58 (above and beneath respectively) on the low toms and bass drum.

To simplify, hit up Ebay and see if anyone is selling a good conditioned set of Shure drum condensers

EDIT: And just in case it wasn't obvious, the overheads are 70% panned against each other (e.e 70% left for one and 70% right for the other)
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
what about this
for bass:
For most of the toms and bass:
Nady DMK-5 Drum Mic Package
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-DMK-5-Drum-Mic-Package-277126-i1127188.gc
or this for just bass:
CAD KBM412
http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAD-KBM412-Bass-and-Kick-Drum-Microphone-270774-i1126751.gc
two of these for the cymbals:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-SPC-25-Condenser-Microphone-277522-i1127289.gc
would that work?
thats about 175, we could push the budget if it is really nice and would get a good sound
this is going through a mackie mixer:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie-1202-VLZ3-Premium-12-Channel-Compact-Mixer-104203823-i1172627.gc
and into a computer for editing btw
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I think that package and some cond's for cymbals would be better
Actualy a lot of mics (even though cheap,and have ****y reviews) can get a pretty much ok sound.For example me and my band recorded our first demo with 4 mics that cost 5 bucks
so to mic up everything even with ****ty mics is better than taking a small amount of good mics and trying to get everything?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
so snare: shure sm57
cymbals: 2 Nady CM-88 Condensers (too cheap?)
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-CM88-Condenser-Microphone?sku=277048
bass drum: CAD KBM412 Bass mic
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-CM88-Condenser-Microphone?sku=277048
well right there is 170 if we go for a used sm57, if new than around 210 bucks
what about the toms then?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-PRO7-7Piece-Drum-Microphone-Pack?sku=270749

These.

My school has them. Recorded with my band last week, and of all the instruments/voices, the drums sounded far and away the best. I was really happy with the tone I got out of them.

Infact, if you wanted a sound clip, I could probably email you something, or upload it on UG here.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by echo_4190
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-PRO7-7Piece-Drum-Microphone-Pack?sku=270749

These.

My school has them. Recorded with my band last week, and of all the instruments/voices, the drums sounded far and away the best. I was really happy with the tone I got out of them.

Infact, if you wanted a sound clip, I could probably email you something, or upload it on UG here.

ah could you do that?
pm when you do, that looks promising
were they good quality?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
ah could you do that?
pm when you do, that looks promising
were they good quality?

One of the metal shields fell off of one, but there are a lot of idiots in our school, and it may have just been abused. Then again, with that being said, the snare sheild did fall off. Though, I believe we simply screwed it back on. not sure, I'll ask my drummer about that one, but I'll upload a song to UG now, I just gotta figure out which one I should use.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I Pm'd you as well, but I uploaded 2 tracks recorded with those mics to my profile.

Its the two called Under The Bridge (Chili Peppers Cover) and 4 Am (Our Lady Peace Cover)

I find the drums at the end of 4 Am to be particularly good.

And just for the record, my voice is usually much smoother, but I had a cold, and something was up with the vocal mic. I swear! :P

Hope that helps!
Quote by echo_4190
One of the metal shields fell off of one, but there are a lot of idiots in our school, and it may have just been abused. Then again, with that being said, the snare sheild did fall off. Though, I believe we simply screwed it back on. not sure, I'll ask my drummer about that one, but I'll upload a song to UG now, I just gotta figure out which one I should use.

so their not that durable?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Well they're in my basement right now. I don't know. Not super durable I guess, but I'd imagine they'd be better if you took care of them. I mean, I do, but they're the schools. and the schools equipment gets trashed at school. I wont even leave my guitar in the music room in a locked case, that's how many morons there are. It still works perfectly, we just had to put the shield back on. I can tell you that they still work, though, physically as far as that's concerned there's probably far more durable mics.
I just checked. Some tool just overtightened the screen and now if you screw on the screen on the snare mic too tight it skips backwards. It still goes tight enough to stay on though, and all the other screens are fine. I think it was just someone wanted to look inside and screwed it on too tight when they put it back on.

Other than that they actually seem pretty tough, to be honest.
ah i see, so is this the way to go?
if you could get the straight drum tracks than i would be your humble servant
i'm going to call my drummer and tell him about these
thanks for your help man
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
No Problem. I was planning on exporting all the tracks from the recording console today to give to my friend who's going to PROPERLY mix and eq them, and maybe add a little reverb to the voice and stuff, I'll strip one of the drum tracks straight from there if I can.
Quote by echo_4190
No Problem. I was planning on exporting all the tracks from the recording console today to give to my friend who's going to PROPERLY mix and eq them, and maybe add a little reverb to the voice and stuff, I'll strip one of the drum tracks straight from there if I can.

thanks a billion, i sent him a link to your profile to check out those songs too
btw nice recording, sounds good all around
i know thats you on vocals and drums, what about the other stuff?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
No problem. Glad I can help. Those songs were the best as a whole, but I might be able to find something with a better drum part if I'm looking for that in particular.

And hey, thanks. I just happen to own a drumset, and have experience with micing myself on one for stuff I do where play all the parts. I'm actually vocals and guitar in the band. My friend Sam is the drummer, and my Buddy Alex plays bass, very well I might add. Guy loves to slap, its pretty sweet.

Anyway I'll see what I can do about the specific drum part. I think we got a really good drum recording on the Foo Fighters tune that we did, and its got a pretty intense drum part. I'll see what sounds best.
Quote by echo_4190
No problem. Glad I can help. Those songs were the best as a whole, but I might be able to find something with a better drum part if I'm looking for that in particular.

And hey, thanks. I just happen to own a drumset, and have experience with micing myself on one for stuff I do where play all the parts. I'm actually vocals and guitar in the band. My friend Sam is the drummer, and my Buddy Alex plays bass, very well I might add. Guy loves to slap, its pretty sweet.

Anyway I'll see what I can do about the specific drum part. I think we got a really good drum recording on the Foo Fighters tune that we did, and its got a pretty intense drum part. I'll see what sounds best.

okay sweet
ah, thats cool man, haha slap bass is pretty interesting lol

ah i see, which one? i love foo fighters
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Its Times Like These. We end with only one chorus though, and changed the ending arrangement too because, since I'm not dave grohl, and can't do that one screaming chorus like that, it'd be useless to have 3 of the same repeated over and over. :P So it'll be different than that of the song, but you'll still get to hear the drums all the same. :P

We wanted to do Everlong too, but we ran out of time.

So the school let me borrow all its recording gear, and we're meeting over the holidays to do more.
Quote by echo_4190
Its Times Like These. We end with only one chorus though, and changed the ending arrangement too because, since I'm not dave grohl, and can't do that one screaming chorus like that, it'd be useless to have 3 of the same repeated over and over. :P So it'll be different than that of the song, but you'll still get to hear the drums all the same. :P

We wanted to do Everlong too, but we ran out of time.

So the school let me borrow all its recording gear, and we're meeting over the holidays to do more.

neat, i like both of those songs
that'll good i want to hear that
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE