Hi!

I am wondering how much time would it take to paint a guitar to a professional guitar builder that's building for 30 years already?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
a few days maybe, but the paint has to dry for three or four weeks to prevent dents and scratches
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
Quote by Kozlic
Hi!

I am wondering how much time would it take to paint a guitar to a professional guitar builder that's building for 30 years already?

Are we talking about you?

You haven't painted a guitar in 30 years of making them? Acoustics I guess then?

If you use a spray gun, compressor and decent paint. A couple of days, including buffing.

Use House of Kolor paints. These are automotive and are the best.

Their clear coat is 2 Pack, and will dry rock hard, in 24 hours.
Quote by Skeet UK
Are we talking about you?

You haven't painted a guitar in 30 years of making them? Acoustics I guess then?

If you use a spray gun, compressor and decent paint. A couple of days, including buffing.

Use House of Kolor paints. These are automotive and are the best.

Their clear coat is 2 Pack, and will dry rock hard, in 24 hours.

no We're not talking about me.
But someone who's building me a guitar for 2800€
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Depends on the paint used. Laquer has to cure for a while, several weeks is best. Auto paint using a gun needs a day or 2 to cure.
If you are gonna use House of Kolor paints make sure you wear a propper mask (not one of those useless dust masks) and do it in a VERY well ventilated room. HOK is a solvent based paint and needs to be used with respect

I use Auto Air paints for all my customers. Its water-based, dries pretty much instantly (sometimes a little heat from a hair dryer is needed) and then put 2K automotive clear over it all which takes about a week to go rock solid.

If you havent painted a guitar before though it might be worth getting a pro to do it or at least do plenty of homework first as there are plenty of ways for it to go horribly wrong
Quote by Svee
If you are gonna use House of Kolor paints make sure you wear a propper mask (not one of those useless dust masks) and do it in a VERY well ventilated room. HOK is a solvent based paint and needs to be used with respect

I use Auto Air paints for all my customers. Its water-based, dries pretty much instantly (sometimes a little heat from a hair dryer is needed) and then put 2K automotive clear over it all which takes about a week to go rock solid.

If you havent painted a guitar before though it might be worth getting a pro to do it or at least do plenty of homework first as there are plenty of ways for it to go horribly wrong

Correct on the Solvent based part. Some people mistake the solvent based bit, for the whole Isocyanate issue. HOK Bases etc are non catalyzed. It is only the Primers and 2k Clears (and potentially the pinstriping enamels) that are catalyzed.

Svee.

If you switch to HOK UC35 or UFC35, they cure in 24 hours (or less) at about 20-25 degrees. Rock solid and can be cut and buffed. Might save you some time and they do have the most superior gloss I have ever seen.

UFC35 has a slightly better gloss, but I stick with UC35 because I use it on motorcycle tanks and it has a better resistance to chemicals (petrol)

It is also High Build, which is good for grain filling and building up on the edges.

So, Kozlic. Why do you ask? Are you waiting on something from this luthier?