I currently have a Marshall DSL401 that I don't use much anymore and a Digitech GNX3000 that sounds awesome but it's a pain to amplify and retain the quality of sound you get through headphones. As a result I've been thinking about some sort of modelling amp that would do the following things:

1) Produce good quality amp models that are broadly valve-like in nature. They don't have to sound exactly like the original amps.

2) Offer a good quality sound at both bedroom and small gig volumes.

3) Either have good onboard effects or take external effects well.

4) Have a headphone socket.

5) I'd like to have some control over it via some sort of floorboard.

I've considered loads of amps but nothing seems to be ideal so there's either a gap in the market or I'm missing something. The Peavey Vypyr seems to be the closest to my needs but they seem to be having a number of reliability issues that concern me. Amps like the Roland Cube are good but I have to control them from the amp itself. The Vox Valvetronix series is impressively valve-like but my previous experience is that it doesn't really cope well with high gain sounds. It does have a foot controller option but the new VT series only seems to have one with limited options so looks like it isn't anything like as versatile as the Vypyr. The Spider Valve with the optional floorboard is rather expensive for what it is and frankly, I wasn't that impressed with the amp models compared to my GNX. Is the Vypyr really the best amp out there for what I want? Is the Vypyr the ONLY amp out there that will do what I want? If it was you, what solution would you look at?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Dec 27, 2008,
With modelling amps being so popular I'd thought more people might have an opinion on this but never mind. I've tried looking at a few more options since writing the above post. The Spider III comes with the floorboard, which seems quite comprehensive but based on my experience of the Pod XTL and Spider Valve, I just don't rate their amp models that highly. I think it has to boil down to either the Vox VT series or a Peavey Vypyr. I'm going to see a Vypyr on Monday but according to the Vox website, there doesn't appear to be a Vox dealer in the whole of Lincolnshire!! That will make it a little difficult to compare so if anyone has any thoughts on the subject, by all means add to the thread.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1