Hello,

I used to play acoustic steelstring and recently got myself a Fender Strat (for like 50 euro off a colleague of my dad's who thought it was just some old guitar ). Now, I never really used a pick for my acoustic as I didn't like the sound of it, but primarily because I don't seem very fluid in holding it. Now I know it's probably not something you learn in a day and you need to practice it and such, but over time I've grown quite lengthy nails, and I've just played with my fingers. What I'm wondering is, is there any difference in playing with a pick (other than volume, I guess a pick would produce a louder sound at less effort)? Cause right now it just seems to me like a more complicated way to do the same thing.
the reverse could be said :P

I mean, i can play with fingers and pick, i just generally prefer the pick on electric, you can change easily. And i find the tone is nicer, and on the acoustic fingers is better.
both th styles opens up different methods of playing, i mean look up antoine dufour on youtube, you just can't do that kind of stuff with a pich but then playing without a pick would stop you from discovering other ideal techniques on the guitar, particularly such as playing metal.
both th styles opens up different methods of playing, i mean look up antoine dufour on youtube, you just can't do that kind of stuff with a pich but then playing without a pick would stop you from discovering other ideal techniques on the guitar, particularly such as playing metal. I guess the ideal thing would be to be able to do both...
The thing I tend to experience is that my pick isn't 'part of my body' if that makes any sense. It's an extra medium through which I have to control the guitar and it doesn't give as much precision as my own fingers. I've even tried tremolo picking using my thumbnail I try picking occasionally but the thing just keeps slipping out of my hands and I tend to end up getting stuck behind other strings.
I'll look up that chap on youtube thanks
on an electrtic, i'd have to say pick, unless you want to tough it out for a month and develop large calisouses on your fingers, then theyed be just as good as picks