First off, if you came to this thread with the sole intention of complaining about Line 6 or digital modelling, go **** yourself.

So, my friend got a Spider Valve 212 like six months ago, and he got a POD X3 for Christmas. We have the Spider Valve more or less figured out (I think we aren't using the settings to full potentional, but he found a setting he really likes and he's happy forever). Since he's only had the POD for a day and a half and he won't read the manual, I am figuring it out and still getting used to it.

Anyway, my question is... is there a practical way to record from the Spider Valve to the POD? I was thinking maybe using the XLR "cabinet simulated" out to the POD's XLR in, but I don't know if that's a good idea. Info for the Spider Valve says the XLR out delivers "POD recording quality" or something to that effect, so I don't know if it would be stupid redunancy, like running a POD into another POD.

Can the POD do everything the Spider Valve can at least as well or better (aside from having a cabinet)? Would it be pointless run the Spider Valve into the POD? I feel like it wouldn't be pointless, because at the very least I like the presets of the Spider Valve better.

Part of the problem is I am comparing the Spider Valve with its 2x12 cabinet to using the POD with headphones. I want to try running the POD through the cabinet and see how it sounds.

Also, the Line 6 page says the POD amp models include the Mesa Dual Rectafier and Triple Rectafier, but none of the amp models on the POD use those names... anyone know what they are? I just want to compare the POD's Rectafier to the Micro Cube's R-fier :P .
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass
1. READ the manual.
2. You don't know what you're talking about.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I have been reading the manual, asshat. How exactly do I not know what I'm talking about? You have given zero information, and I would speculate you don't actually know a damn thing and you're just trying to sound superior with meaningless statements like that. I don't know everything, which is why I'm asking questions, but I also know more than nothing.
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
Last edited by thelonesoldier at Dec 27, 2008,
Yes, I believe the Spider Valve has POD 2.0 out, but it's XLR, while the POD has USB. We don't have any other recording equipment I could use the XLR with, so I figured maybe we could run the Spider Valve into the POD so we could actually record from the Spider Valve as well.
------
Quote by Normul
Quote by thelonesoldier
Yes, I believe the Spider Valve has POD 2.0 out, but it's XLR, while the POD has USB. We don't have any other recording equipment I could use the XLR with, so I figured maybe we could run the Spider Valve into the POD so we could actually record...

You can record straight from the POD X3, unless you are referring to the rack unit version. Even then, I think it's still possibly.

The way you are presenting this is simply "recording POD 2.0 -> POD X3" which makes no sense because you can get BETTER results just by using the POD X3 alone hooked up to computer.

To quote your words, it is stupid redundancy. Just record with the X3.
Yes, I know you can record straight from the X3, but we can't record straight from the Spider Valve because it's XLR.

Ok, thanks. Is it possible to download the Spider Valve's presets for the X3?
------
Quote by Normul
Quote by thelonesoldier
Yes, I know you can record straight from the X3, but we can't record straight from the Spider Valve because it's XLR.

Ok, thanks. Is it possible to download the Spider Valve's presets for the X3?

The manual of the Spider Valve should have what presets model what and what they use.

Just use that information and relay it using the X3.

Example:
-Find out that "meshuggah" setting models a Vetta (I'm making **** up at this point just to get the point across).
-Find Vetta distortion model on X3, and change to taste.

*the tone won't be the same as what comes out of the amp. if you want that invest in a microphone.
All right, thanks! I appreciate the help.

Yeah, I know the tone won't be the same. Maybe we'll save up for a nice recording mic at some point, but then we'd probably need an isolation cabinet and that's just getting expensive and complicated and I don't think we're at that level yet.
------
Quote by Normul
Quote by thelonesoldier
First off, if you came to this thread with the sole intention of complaining about Line 6 or digital modelling, go **** yourself.

So, my friend got a Spider Valve 212 like six months ago, and he got a POD X3 for Christmas. We have the Spider Valve more or less figured out (I think we aren't using the settings to full potentional, but he found a setting he really likes and he's happy forever). Since he's only had the POD for a day and a half and he won't read the manual, I am figuring it out and still getting used to it.

Anyway, my question is... is there a practical way to record from the Spider Valve to the POD? I was thinking maybe using the XLR "cabinet simulated" out to the POD's XLR in, but I don't know if that's a good idea. Info for the Spider Valve says the XLR out delivers "POD recording quality" or something to that effect, so I don't know if it would be stupid redunancy, like running a POD into another POD.

Can the POD do everything the Spider Valve can at least as well or better (aside from having a cabinet)? Would it be pointless run the Spider Valve into the POD? I feel like it wouldn't be pointless, because at the very least I like the presets of the Spider Valve better.

Part of the problem is I am comparing the Spider Valve with its 2x12 cabinet to using the POD with headphones. I want to try running the POD through the cabinet and see how it sounds.

Also, the Line 6 page says the POD amp models include the Mesa Dual Rectafier and Triple Rectafier, but none of the amp models on the POD use those names... anyone know what they are? I just want to compare the POD's Rectafier to the Micro Cube's R-fier :P .

1. You can't record TO the POD.
2. Yes, even better.
3. You run the POD INTO THE SPIDER.
4. Search up the manual. Towards the end there's list of amps, effects, mics, and preamps are that are modulated and their names.

How do i know this? I've owned mine for over a year which brings me to this:

Quote by thelonesoldier
I have been reading the manual, asshat. How exactly do I not know what I'm talking about? You have given zero information, and I would speculate you don't actually know a damn thing and you're just trying to sound superior with meaningless statements like that. I don't know everything, which is why I'm asking questions, but I also know more than nothing.

And once again, READ THE MANUAL.

1. I meant through the POD, goddammit. A minor mistake in my wording, I don't know how you couldn't get your brain around the obvious meaning behind it.
2. That's why I ****ing asked
3. THAT'S NOT WHAT I WAS TRYING TO DO. I know how to run the POD into the Spider, that's not gonna help us record.
4. I downloaded the manual from the Line 6 website and there is no such list in the version I downloaded. The only real question I had, was it practical/worth it to record through the POD from the Spider Valve, obviously wasn't answered in the manual.
------
Quote by Normul
Quote by thelonesoldier
1. I meant through the POD, goddammit. A minor mistake in my wording, I don't know how you couldn't get your brain around the obvious meaning behind it.
2. That's why I ****ing asked
3. THAT'S NOT WHAT I WAS TRYING TO DO. I know how to run the POD into the Spider, that's not gonna help us record.
4. I downloaded the manual from the Line 6 website and there is no such list in the version I downloaded. The only real question I had, was it practical/worth it to record through the POD from the Spider Valve, obviously wasn't answered in the manual.

1. Not our fault you can't explain properly.
2. You can record directly from the X3 Live into your computer through usb and it'll sound good. Otherwise your other option would be using the amp's XLR output into a mixer and then have that go into your computer.
3. Once again, not our fault you have problems with communication. In any case, i recommend what's been said before: manually fix the settings on your pod to be similar to your amp's.
4. Don't you guys have the actual physical manual booklet? Look it up as Recto or something like that (sorry, don't remember the actual name of it). Also, don't create settings just because it's supposed to be a Mesa/Boogie, do it using what you think sounds better. Just something u might want to consider.

1. It wasn't a terrible explanation, I got one word wrong, it appears to be your fault that you can't figure out the obvious
2. No ****? Really? That's why we got the POD, for USB recording. I am pretty sure we could run the amp's XLR into the POD's XLR input and then record from/through that. This is not a difficult concept, and nobody has said "no you can't do that".
3. It is your fault, I was talking about recording and never gave any indication I didn't know how to run the POD through the amp. I just said I want to try it, but that wasn't the main point of the thread. The POD is at my house and the amp isn't so I can't try it yet. I know how to do it, like I said I read the manual.
4. He left it at his house. I thought Line 6 would have the right manual on their website but apparently it isn't. It's titled "Pilot's Guide". I said the only reason I wanted to try the Rectafier was to compare it to the Micro Cube's Rectafier model. I didn't say I wanted to exactly replicate one.
------
Quote by Normul
bro. stop being a vagina and put a sm57 or a e609 towards the edge of the spider valve's speaker cone and record that speaker. The vintage 30 will sound miles better than the cabinet simulator. After recording it make a duplicate of the track and delay the duplicate by 10-15ms. After that, pan the original hard right and the duplicate hard left.

you suck.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
**** you.
------
Quote by Normul
Quote by thelonesoldier
**** you.

Deal with what they're saying, and stop responding in the thread!

I told you what to do.
-Recording from the XLR into the POD will only make your tone worse, you're better off just recording with the POD alone.
-It will be better, in the long run, to buy a microphone and interface to record. You don't NEED an isolation cabinet.

I agree that the one guy was a bit out of line saying 'you suck', but I also agree with evening_crow that there were a few communication problems.
I didn't quite understand what you meant, but after a quick review and some assumption, I understood.

You've got your answer, people need to stop posting and telling him to just get a microphone, as he obviously cannot at the moment, but plans to.

/thread
I told you what to do.
-Recording from the XLR into the POD will only make your tone worse, you're better off just recording with the POD alone.

Yeah, thanks, I guess I didn't explicitly say this but that's what we'll do for now, I'm glad someone actually answered the question for me.

-It will be better, in the long run, to buy a microphone and interface to record. You don't NEED an isolation cabinet

Okay, I thought you needed an isolation cabinet or sound room to get good sound that way. As I said before though, I don't think we're at that level. We haven't made any serious recording efforts yet and I don't want to go buy hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of additional equipment before we've really got it together and know it's actually worth the time and money.

If we did get a microphone, couldn't we run it through the POD and record that way instead of messing with additional mixing and recording equipment? I wonder if it would be possible to have a guitar going into the POD and out to the amp at the same time a mic was going through the POD and into a computer. I think that would be doable by changing the inputs and outputs... it would probably lag a little but if we could hear the amp I think it would be okay?

Whatever, again I'm not worried about mics yet.

I didn't quite understand what you meant, but after a quick review and some assumption, I understood.

Okay, well thanks for actually taking the time to understand.
------
Quote by Normul
Quote by thelonesoldier
**** you.

that is a real mature way to respond to me telling you how to get your guitars to sound thick as ****.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
*reported*

If you weren't being such a deuche to ppl and didn't act so immature we would be more inclined into helping you. Even then, we tried answering your questions and you still insulted us.