Page 1 of 3
Every single ad for a flat that I follow up is like 'sorry- we want a female occupant' or 'this flat is taken' when they just posted it 10 minutes ago... also, every job I apply for and get interviewed for says 'sorry, you're not what we're looking for'- every fucking time!!! As much as I love the guy, I don't want to live the rest of my life on my guitarist's living room floor.

Argh- I need a hug, and a solution.
and I have to say I've never encountered the "we want a female occupant" one before, of course, here that would be hugely illegal in most cases.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Maybe it's how you're presenting yourself.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Quote by jesusgonewrong

I guess it's this. No offence, man, but people are just easily offended if you don't look "normal" in their eyes. If I saw you walking in the street, I'd probably think you were a weirdo... Again, no offence.

So, your best bet would be to get a haircut, take off the nosering, get rid of the make-up (not forever, just for as long as you need to), wear nice clothes and retry.

Cheers
I'm being helpful when I say this, and I hope you don't get offended.

But you need a makeover, man. No one's gonna hire you looking like that.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by jesusgonewrong

yeah, that could be it, you should probably dye your hair a natural looking color and dress nice.

Last.fm
Aidy, I know what it feels like but you just gotta keep trying. It took me the best part of a year to find the house I live in. Keep applying to different jobs. Perfect your CV and cover letters. Get someone to proof read them for you etc. You just gotta hang in there and keep trying. You ll get a flat and a job soon if you dont give up.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Make sure your genitals are COMPLETELY hidden aswell, you have no idea how awkward a job interview can get if you don't check first.
My hair's black now, so it looks less weird, and I have to keep this nose ring in until it's healed properly (something's gone wrong, and my doctor said that if I change it/take it out it'd leave it more open).

Besides, I look the way I do for my band, and that's the reason I'm in London. We've got big plans in 2009 (album recording in the first and second quarter, festivals, gigs and tours in booking process). I just need to pay my rent!

And you're all just jealous of my looks.
Quote by aaciseric
Make sure your genitals are COMPLETELY hidden aswell, you have no idea how awkward a job interview can get if you don't check first.

well, really that depends on what sort of job you're applying for.

Quote by Aidy Damage
My hair's black now, so it looks less weird, and I have to keep this nose ring in until it's healed properly (something's gone wrong, and my doctor said that if I change it/take it out it'd leave it more open).

Besides, I look the way I do for my band, and that's the reason I'm in London. We've got big plans in 2009 (album recording in the first and second quarter, festivals, gigs and tours in booking process). I just need to pay my rent!

And you're all just jealous of my looks.

well dude, you;ve gotta face it that you're going to have a hard time if you look like that, it's to be expected. You're probably going to have to get a ****ty job in a place that caters to "alternative" people. As for getting an apartment, I'm not sure of what to tell you, because as per what you said earlier about being rejected because you're a dude apparently the anti-discrimination laws aren't as tight there.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
and I have to say I've never encountered the "we want a female occupant" one before, of course, here that would be hugely illegal in most cases.

Actually it's perfectly legal in most places, it'd be unreasonable to say you have to rent out to ANYONE when you offer, after all, it's the land owner's property, they're entitled to keep it "safe".

That said, if the post you read didn't specify it was for females only, and that's what they told you, you can probably sue them for violating legal expectation by falsely publicizing a contract offer. (Not sure about England, it'd work here though).
Last edited by MiG_853 at Dec 27, 2008,
^ I'm not offended by your looks, hence the "no offence" in my above post.

Others, sadly, are. And that's why I suggest you take out the nosering, don't wear make-up, and wear nice clothes, for job interviews and all that at least... Do in your band whatever you want of course!

And yeah, you should leave your nosering in for as long as the doctor told you, but a job interview shouldn't take too long and I don't think it would hurt to take it off before you go in and put it back in afterwards.
Keep searching.
Or build your own house and start your own buisness.

The latter isn't acutally reccomended.
If I could sue anyone for anything I'd be able to use the money to live! Is anyone here loaded and fancy sexually harassing me? I know you could just give me the money, but I'm sexually frustrated and fancy a good ol' court firefight.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well, really that depends on what sort of job you're applying for.

You disgust me ... but go on.
Quote by MiG_853
Actually it's perfectly legal in most places, it'd be unreasonable to say you have to rent out to ANYONE when you offer, after all, it's the land owner property, they're entitled to keep it "safe".

That said, if the post you read didn't specify it was for females only, and that's what they told you, you can probably sue them for violating legal expectation by falsely publicizing a contract offer. (Not sure about England, it'd work here though).

in the US you can't deny a lease based on gender (unless it involves roomates or it's at a boarding house).

Last.fm
It does involve roomates, so I guess it's reasonable. However, it's totally unreasonable to advertise rooms that are taken.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
apparently the anti-discrimination laws aren't as tight there.

He's not a (protected)* minority, they don't apply. And even then that'd only be for jobs, not housing.

Quote by Aidy Damage
^It's London- white male is a minority.
Happy now?
Last edited by MiG_853 at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by Aidy Damage
It does involve roomates, so I guess it's reasonable. However, it's totally unreasonable to advertise rooms that are taken.

Yeah, but chances are they where either lying or it was taken very recently and they didn't have time to pull the ad.

Quote by MiG_853
He's not a minority, they don't apply. And even then that'd only be for jobs, not housing.

In the US, you cannot descriminate on lease based on race, religion, gender or disability (with a few exceptions)

whether or not you are a minority is irrelevant, but like I said, he's not in the US and apparently the laws are more relaxed in a lot of places, they wouldn't help in his case anyway.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Dec 27, 2008,
I'm not even applying for anything that I'd need to modify myself for because there aren't any jobs available in those sectors!

It's mostly bars and call centres.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm not even applying for anything that I'd need to modify myself for because there aren't any jobs available in those sectors!

Call centers usually want you to look "corporate casual" and as for bars it really depends on the image and clientele of the bar.

Last.fm
Quote by Aidy Damage

True, but in order to APPLY for those jobs you should look more "conformist", if you know what I mean. To work in a call center, your looks don't matter, but to apply for the job there, you should make a good impression of yourself, and with your looks that will be difficult (no offence).

So, that's why I suggested a temporary makeover.

Cheers
I have a great idea for a temporary makeover:

Yes? Would I get the job? I'd hire that!
Do you know any Forbidden planet shops in London Aidy?
If so try to get a job there, they can't turn you down on looks.

What jobs are you looking for, anyway? I guess stuff like McDoncald's?

Quote by Aidy Damage
Yes? Would I get the job? I'd hire that!

Seems trustworthy.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 27, 2008,
If you try for a music store like HMV or Zavvi you'll get a job with no bother, I see people working in HMV and Zavvi who have loads of piercings, different colours in their hair, etc.
That's what I'm going for! =D I should ask Cyberdog, actually- 10 mins from me and, if anything, I don't look weird enough!
Quote by Aidy Damage
That's what I'm going for! =D I should ask Cyberdog, actually- 10 mins from me and, if anything, I don't look weird enough!

Good luck finding a job then
Quote by Aidy Damage

Cyberdog is fucking awesome. You should definitely get a job there, then get me discount on crazy rave gear .
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Tried there- no vacancies.

However, I'm applying to every Subway in North London. I guess it'd be less weird for someone like me to work in a Camden High Street Subway than, say, somewhere more swanky.
You tried clothes shops? Topman etc?
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
I've found you never need to change how you look as long as you are polite and make them realise that they were judging you and you're ok afterall.
I have piercings and long hair and interviews go well as long as I get the interviewer off guard and show them that I'm not really any different.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Clothes shops, cafes (got to be some nice gig places/boozers round you), record stores. Think of all the kind of places you ever shop, if you buy there, you're the market, so you're the prospective employee
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Page 1 of 3