So, I want to upgrade my japanese aerodyne strat. But I have two choices of ways to do it.

Should I go for a new high quality electronics set (jack, pots, switch and all that cts and switchcraft stuff), or should I go for some locking tuners and graphtech nut and saddles?

And if the second, is the electronics worth it at all? I'm also gonna get a hot rails pickup btw.
electronics, the ones in your guitar is probably ****.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Well it depends. Do you not like the way your strat sounds now? If you dont, go for new pickups.
If your guitar doesn't say in tune, go for the graphite nut and locking tuners.
Well, what I'm striving the most for, is improvement in tonal quality. I'm actually satisfied (much) with how it sounds now, it's just that I know it can be improved upon. But will better electronics give more of a tonal difference than graphtech stuff?
And it actually stays in tune fine, just that restringing is easier with locking tuners :p
Quote by metalwarrior40
electronics, the ones in your guitar is probably ****.

CIJ Fenders are actually quite nice.

I would upgrade the nut, for sure. You don't need locking tuners, if you know how to string your guitar right.
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html
But I admit, locking tuners are much easier.

What's your amp right now?
Quote by forsaknazrael

I would upgrade the nut, for sure. You don't need locking tuners, if you know how to string your guitar right.
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html
But I admit, locking tuners are much easier.

What's your amp right now?

Really? never knew that...
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by Invader Jim
IMHO, playability comes before electronics.

Definitely in this case.

Quote by forsaknazrael

is absolutely right. I'll never swap out the pups on my MIJ Tele, they sound great, my strat's are now in another build I liked them so much.

I'm agree with the aforementioned suggestion of replacing the nut. It made a big difference in my Tele's action and feel, it would be a solid investment.

Is it set-up well?
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by GravyFish
Definitely in this case.

is absolutely right. I'll never swap out the pups on my MIJ Tele, they sound great, my strat's are now in another build I liked them so much.

I'm agree with the aforementioned suggestion of replacing the nut. It made a big difference in my Tele's action and feel, it would be a solid investment.

Is it set-up well?

It's set up really well, I love it, but you guys seem to know what you're talking about (as you own more jap fenders than I xD). I think I'm going for the graphtech set (nuts and saddles). And most likely some tuners too. Just because it's cool
Right now i'm just playing through my cube, but waiting for my framus cab for the bugera. Might go with a rectifier if I'm not satisfied.

EDIT: Btw I play mainly heavy stuff, so a high output pickup like the hot rails + a high gain amp should be good.
Last edited by anubiz03 at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by anubiz03
Right now i'm just playing through my cube, but waiting for my framus cab for the bugera. Might go with a rectifier if I'm not satisfied.

EDIT: Btw I play mainly heavy stuff, so a high output pickup like the hot rails + a high gain amp should be good.

Then I understand why you want to replace your pickups. Good single coils may sound great, but they'll never be like humbuckers. Just save them for when you want a guitar with single coils. I may not dislike Hot Rails all that terribly much, but there are better SD pups to be had for sure. JB Jr. is great for the bridge, I like JBs in general. Lil '59 would sound good in the neck. The best thing to do IMHO is just jump for something, put it in, see if you like it, and either A. Keep it if you like it or B. Sell it and buy something else if you don't. It may not be cost-effective, but it's hard to really get the feel for a pup until it's installed and you play on it.

Swapping out the tuners wouldn't be a bad idea if you want something else. I like the Planet Waves Auto-Trim locking tuners (which I repeat like a broken record). Track down a guitar with a set you want to look at already installed and tune up the guitar a little. I pick tuners by how they feel when I'm tuning, not just by how they hold tune, so I'm picky in that regard. There are lots of well-made tuners out there, go with what you think works, they can definitely be worth the investment.

I like keeping my MIJ guitars as stock as possible because I really, really like the '62 reissue style that my first strat and tele are made in. If you want a different tone, by all means, mod away, just know that you have quality parts on your hands and they're worth putting into another project somewhere down the road. Kudos on owning and Aerodyne strat, they're freaking sweet.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Just so you all know, I already have a humbucker in the bridge, the stock one. But I heard that the hot rails was a really nice one. Hmm. (I know I would need to change to sss setup in case I got the hot rails)
Well, nothing really xD I just thought that the hot rails had an even higher and wider output. But maybe not?
Well, high output isn't something to judge pickups on. The Dimebucker and the Invader are MUCH hotter than the Hot Rails, and both of the aforementioned pickups sound atrocious.
Basically, I'm asking, why do you want to change your current pickup? If you can give me more specific ideas about the tone you're looking for, I can help you find a good one.
At the same time, you are just using a Roland Cube. I don't know what settings you use, or what you tonal preferences are. Maybe wait until you get that Bugera?
I think I'm gonna take a closer look at it when I got the graphtech stuff installed and my bugera is ready.