Page 1 of 2
Does this phrase f**k anyone else off as much as it does me?

You don't have to be able to do something amazingly to be able to see when someone else is bollocks at it!
I see this type of thing used a lot around the pit, and in real life, and I just can't see how it is a logical argument against anything... Just because I can't play the violin does it mean I can't say if someone's squeaking cacophony is bad?

So what do you all think? Legitimate comeback or not? DISCUSS!
i hate that phrase

the best come back ever is..........
"sorry, i have no comeback for that"
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
i have to admit, I laughed a little

at long f*cking last... a decent compliment

I POSTED THE PEAR ALL I GOT WAS A LOUSY WARNING
Yes it does but its a battle you can never win unless you learn the violin

Same for games/driving/drinking/smoking/anything
insert eric clapton related anecdote here.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
I usually just say "Never said I could do any better, I just said he really, really sucks."
If you hear it, it's usually because you've been acting like a superior jerk in the first place. I've used it more often than I've heard it.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Quote by ScreamAim&Fire
Just say "never said I could do it better"

Well then your opinion is null and void.
lololololol.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
"Well at least I didn't make an ass our of myself because I know I can't do it good"
That's what i usually say.
Quote by MadClownDisease
I'd like to see YOU have a better opinion!

K.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Quote by MadClownDisease
If i could be bothered to find a picture of a sarcasm detector I would. Feel free to post the same picture in response to this post.

Quote by Cobain_is_king

Quote by Seth Shadows

Quote by ravioli123

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
Me do better?
But do better at what?
You have not stated what you would like me to do better at?
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by ravioli123

EDIT:
End.
When dreadnought posts, I have to behave.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

"I CAN DO BETTER!!! ... on guitar hero "
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
Quote by Dreadnought
"Ahahaha that guy (Ranger student) really sucks at road marching."

"Are you in Ranger training?"

"... No"

"Shut the hell up."

I think that if you're criticizing someone's road marching you've already lost the argument before you've begun.
Quote by ravioli123

Quote by Dreadnought
Those who know not, should speak not.

Just because I don't DO something doesn't mean I don't KNOW it.

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
Quote by Dreadnought
^ You like that don't you? lol

On a wide basis, I'd say that that argument/comeback has a right to be used. Those who know not, should speak not. So basically, if you don't have the knowledge/experience, you should keep your mouth shut. That's how I tend to use this phrase. IE:

"Ahahaha that guy (Ranger student) really sucks at road marching."

"Are you in Ranger training?"

"... No"

"Shut the hell up."

Well yeah but why is that a logical argument? The person saying that isn't claiming he can do this road marching of which you speak, he is merely identifying someone else is crap at it.

If i can't drive does that mean I have no right to call someone a bad driver when they swerve off a road into a group of children? (extreme example I know, but the principle is there...)
Quote by Seth Shadows

EDIT:
End.
When dreadnought posts, I have to behave.

Hey, he asked for a Sarcasm Detector, I delivered, why with the douche calling??
Quote by ravioli123

Quote by ravioli123
Hey, he asked for a Sarcasm Detector, I delivered, why with the douche calling??

See the second meter for explanation. He;s just that much of a maverick.
"wow Herman Ri sucks"
"I'd like to see YOU do better"
"well, I don't play guitar for a living, he does, so he needs to be good at it"
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Quote by billybusa
"wow Herman Ri sucks"
"I'd like to see YOU do better"
"well, I don't play guitar for a living, he does, so he needs to be good at it"

That's an asshat attitude to have.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
I wish I had such power in real life...

Ahh Dreadnought, the only boy that can bring me to my knees.

*Awaits Sigging for Dirty Interpretation*
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Quote by Dreadnought
Because unless you have the experience/knowledge/ability of the person you're critiquing, you don't entirely understand WHY that person is performing the way he is, HOW to do it better, or even the circumstances surrounding the performance. In the example I gave, the Ranger student could have had a 5 mile run that morning, and his whole company could have gotten smoked the day prior, destroying their bodies. See now, in light of this knowledge, the observer saying the first guy sucks at ruck marching sounds like a total douchebag.

In these instances is when I would use the phrase or the argument behind it, not in all circumstances.

Hmm well yeah I suppose I get that if you don't understand what they're doing you might not know if it is wrong, but the situational thing doesn't change it.
If i was extremely tired and played a gig but played terribly, I would still be playing terribly whether there were situational factors or not.

There are still a lot of situations where it is very evident from the results of people's actions that they are doing badly anyway. I don't understand football fully, but if a team appears to be playing badly to me, and is 3 goals behind and always loses possession, then whether I understand their tactics or not is irrelevant, as they are evidently terrible!
(again I could apply the situational thing here too, even if the reason these players aren't doing well if because there was some kind of accident with a team mate earlier in the day so they're all distracted, that doesn't make how they are playing any better.)

EDIT:
Quote by Dreadnought
That's an asshat attitude to have.

Why? If he is performing and putting himself out there he needs to be good. I do hate hyper-critical people, but the point remains that if he wants to make a living and keep his fanbase, a professional guitarist needs to be good.
^ Well then that's just personal difference, generally... I for one usually don't talk crap about somebodies performance unless I think I'm "qualified" to talk crap, ie I'll trash talk an acoustic guitar player all day, but I'll always appreciate a cello player, because until I can play like Yo-yo Ma, they are always better than me.

EDIT: Unless I'm talking crap for the lulz.
Quote by MadClownDisease

Why? If he is performing and putting himself out there he needs to be good. I do hate hyper-critical people, but the point remains that if he wants to make a living and keep his fanbase, a professional guitarist needs to be good.

Who are you to say what it takes? Frankly, he's living "the dream", and you aren't... you're on the wrong side of the looking glass.

Honestly, do you know anything about being a touring, performing, recording artist of his caliber? Probably not, right? Yeah you can notice that he's not playing well, but that's not what we're talking about here. I'm talking about trash-talking somebody/something when you can't do better.
Quote by Dreadnought
Who are you to say what it takes? Frankly, he's living "the dream", and you aren't... you're on the wrong side of the looking glass.

+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Quote by Ichikurosaki
It's logical, if you can't do better, you really have no right to put down someone elses attempt.

Why is that logical though? The person criticising isn't claiming they can do better, but that's fine because they're not putting themselves out there and trying to use the skills like the other person is!

If I go to a ballet, and all the dancers are disorganised and fall over a lot, and heavy on their feet, do I not have a right to say "well that wasn't very good..."? If I was in the ballet too and was even worse, then maybe I would think twice before highlighting flaws in others, but i'm not, i'm in the audience and I have paid to see a good performance! (hypothetically...)

Quote by Dreadnought

Honestly, do you know anything about being a touring, performing, recording artist of his caliber? Probably not, right? Yeah you can notice that he's not playing well, but that's not what we're talking about here. I'm talking about trash-talking somebody/something when you can't do better.

I don't claim I do know anything about any of those things, but you have just made the point I am saying... I CAN notice when he's not playing well, but i'm not claiming in any way I can do better!

As I say, don't get me wrong, I'm not an often over-critical and judgmental person, but I think you can say fine that someone isn't good at something even if you can't do better!
Dude... I know you read that I said I'm only talking about trash-talking, so why do you keep going on? If you aren't talking trash, then you're in the clear, as far as I'm concerned.
Quote by Dreadnought
Dude... I know you read that I said I'm only talking about trash-talking, so why do you keep going on? If you aren't talking trash, then you're in the clear, as far as I'm concerned.

Well good then! We are in agreement! You did only say that in the last post though...
Page 1 of 2