I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and an RP-500 pedal. Which would give me better distortions? I've heard to get the best sound out of VK's, you have to upgrade the speaker, but I wouldnt plan on doing that. I hear the B-52 is really good, and there are mixed reviews on the VK's. But ive seen vids on youtube of valvekings, and the distortion sounds sick (in a good way haha)
Basically, right now I can't decide which one to get. So convince me
Last edited by marco515 at Dec 27, 2008,
You have to realize there are a group of folks who absolutely hate anything Peavey. Not sure why, but they do. You also have a group of folks who love Peavey. That's the reason for your mixed reviews. I have a stock VK112 and love it. I also have a Mesa Lonestar. Most people would let their Peavey collect dust after buying a Mesa, but I still play mine several times a week - the tone is very good. You need to go to your nearest Guitar Center and play both amps. I don't think you should let anyone convince you one way or another - you have to decide for yourself. Try both and see which one speaks to you. Take your guitar with you, so you hear your tone and not that of some guitar you grab off the wall.
^ Agree

His comment may sound like blablabla and u probably dont want a comment like that. But u really gotta try em out. The amps need to convince you, we can also convince you but its not reliable enough. Fastest way to know which amp sounds better is by just try them, really!
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
I agree, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find the either the VK112 or B-52 at my local GC
Now thats surprising. Everytime i go to guitar center they have plenty of both of those amps. Any other music stores in your area?
Well, there is one other Guitar Center that I could try.

As of now I'm leaning towards the VK for several reasons:

- The VK has 50 watts, which suits me more than 60
- I am buying used, and there are many more VKs for sale than B-52s.. (I saw one result :/)
- I could get a VK for cheaper
- Apparently B-52's are unreliable, and that could be an issue as I'm buying second hand.
- On the other hand, Peavey amps are built rock solid, which is good
Keep in mind that your first reason really isn't all that valid. Volume-wise, 60 watts just isn't that much louder than 50 watts. In fact, given two tube amplifiers rated at 50 and 60 watts, I'll bet you couldn't tell the difference. Believe it or not, to increase the volume to what you perceive as twice as loud, you'd need to go from 50 watts to 500 watts. From that example, you can see that a 10 watt difference isn't that much. Again, find a local store with the amps you're interested in, take your guitar and play them. Your ears will tell you which one is the best choice for you. If one amp is more reliable than the other, that's a strong determining factor for me. It could have the best tone in the world, but if it's known for failure, that's not a good thing.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Keep in mind that your first reason really isn't all that valid. Volume-wise, 60 watts just isn't that much louder than 50 watts. In fact, given two tube amplifiers rated at 50 and 60 watts, I'll bet you couldn't tell the difference. Believe it or not, to increase the volume to what you perceive as twice as loud, you'd need to go from 50 watts to 500 watts. From that example, you can see that a 10 watt difference isn't that much. Again, find a local store with the amps you're interested in, take your guitar and play them. Your ears will tell you which one is the best choice for you. If one amp is more reliable than the other, that's a strong determining factor for me. It could have the best tone in the world, but if it's known for failure, that's not a good thing.

+1 to this
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!