OK I really want a new amp and i have pretty much narrowed it down to three.

Fender hot rod deluxe
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Amp?sku=480510&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26039700

Fender Hot Rod DeVille
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-212?sku=480509

Peavey Classic 30
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

so this is it. Im leaning towards the Peavey Classic 30 but any feedback on these three would be great.
Member of: The anti-zombie alliance
what do you play and are you gigging?

i played a HRD today

sounded nice but i couldnt get it to bedroom volume clean, its amazingly loud
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
what do you play and are you gigging?

i played a HRD today

sounded nice but i couldnt get it to bedroom volume clean, its amazingly loud

+1

Apart from the overdrive isn't too great, and at bedroom volume it's pretty poor in relation to the Classic 30 (Although I've never played a classic 30, I'm just going off what I've heard off a classic 30). The cleans on the HRD are great though.
the classic 30 is pretty good. i use one sometimes when i'm practicing with a band... it is loud enough to hear of drums, but you can also play it at low volumes.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
Quote by AdamDK
+1

Apart from the overdrive isn't too great, and at bedroom volume it's pretty poor in relation to the Classic 30 (Although I've never played a classic 30, I'm just going off what I've heard off a classic 30). The cleans on the HRD are great though.

tbh i thought the cleans were good right down to as quiet as it goes. i know on my amp they choke out below 1. but these were fine, just loud, too loud
If you are gonna play with any moderate overdrive, get the classic.
If you're just playing cleans, go with one of the fenders.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
tbh i thought the cleans were good right down to as quiet as it goes. i know on my amp they choke out below 1. but these were fine, just loud, too loud

Quote by AdamDK

Where did I ever say they weren't good? I was talking about the overdrive channel.
the deville is LOUD, as is the deluxe tbh (though i have one and love it, in my opinion - there is no point going for the deville - it's more money for the same sound at a higher volume - if you need to be that loud then you'll be mic'ed anyway... (i play the deluxe in a old stone church to 400 people and left it at vol 2 without a mic)

so not worth the extra cash for the deville.

the peavey is nice - but i found it had very little range - you got beautiful smooth blues - but nothing else...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by AdamDK

Where did I ever say they weren't good? I was talking about the overdrive channel.

misunderstanding!!!

just how you mentioned the classic 30 being better at bedroom volumes. i thought you meant that the fender sounds worse when really quiet like a lot of tube amps. alls i meant was that i thought the cleans were good for having the amp as quiet as it would go. but even then it was still loud, so the C30 is almost certainly better at low volumes.

Are you going to be gigging with it? what type of music?
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
misunderstanding!!!

just how you mentioned the classic 30 being better at bedroom volumes. i thought you meant that the fender sounds worse when really quiet like a lot of tube amps. alls i meant was that i thought the cleans were good for having the amp as quiet as it would go. but even then it was still loud, so the C30 is almost certainly better at low volumes.

Haha no bother then. Yeah the cleans are great at any volume on the HRD. At least it's out the way now.
no I'm not gigging. I already have a line 6 spyder 2 so i figured I'd get an amp with amazing cleans. I would use the cleans for like funk and jazzy type stuff.
Quote by RoadKill1991
no I'm not gigging. I already have a line 6 spyder 2 so i figured I'd get an amp with amazing cleans. I would use the cleans for like funk and jazzy type stuff.

In that case get the HRD, then if you ever want better overdrive, save enough for something like a Fulltone OCD or a TS808, it'll make the HRD OD channel sound much better.
Quote by RoadKill1991

if youre not gigging i'd say the peavey. the fenders are loud and the peavey is way more versatile. you'd probably be able to get rid of your spider
How is the peavey more versatile? I can't think of anything I can't do with my HRD...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
How is the peavey more versatile? I can't think of anything I can't do with my HRD...

just in my experience i've been able to get more gain out of the C30 without cranking the knackers off it

jus' sayin'
Quote by Exo M7

I'm pretty sure you aren't going to be able to do death metal or black metal on your HRD, even with an OD pedal. Actually, you will be able to play it, but the tone would be bad.
so it looks like the HRD wins. I will definately get an OD pedal for it though. the Fulltone is a good one?
the hrd drive is god awful get the peavey I'd trade mine for one in a heart beat

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by RoadKill1991
so it looks like the HRD wins. I will definately get an OD pedal for it though. the Fulltone is a good one?

The fulltone OCD is a great pedal, along with the Ibanez TS808. If you are able to go out and try them, and see which you prefer. The Fulltone is a bit more expensive than the TS808 though I think.
How about the Krank Krankshaft? It seems to be alright.

Any experiences with this pedal?

o and for the record i will probably go with the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by RoadKill1991
OK I really want a new amp and i have pretty much narrowed it down to three.

Fender hot rod deluxe
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Amp?sku=480510&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26039700

Fender Hot Rod DeVille
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-212?sku=480509

Peavey Classic 30
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

so this is it. Im leaning towards the Peavey Classic 30 but any feedback on these three would be great.

What kind of music do you play? What sound are you trying to emulate?

First, forget about the deville. It's way too loud.

The Deluxe is also very loud, especially if you're not gigging. The other problem with the deluxe is that the volume on it is terrible. Below 1, it's very quiet. After 1, it's too loud. The volume tends to jump, instead of increasing gradually.

The c30 is still too loud for bedroom use, but for some reason, it's more manageable than the deluxe ( volume doesn't "jump").

Now, let's forget about that for a second and talk about sound:

The HRD has great cleans. For a mid-range tube amp, the cleans are better than many high end tubes amps. The only problem is the drive, which is abysmal. It's fizzy and thin. Forget about using it at low volumes, because my Cube 30's drive sounds better ( at low volumes).

The c30 has mediocre cleans ( they don't even come close to the HRD). But, it has good distortion.

So if you want great cleans, go for the Fender. If you want good distortion, go for the Peavey.

I'll wait for you to elaborate a bit more on your sound, then I'll try to suggest something else. Because both amps are good, but not great.
well i am getting a new amp for the cleans. My line 6 spider 2 can handle the distortion that i need but the cleans are boring. I'm looking for a low watt tube amp that would be good for bedroom playing and have great cleans. I like the HRD because the cleans are insanely good and it isn't to much money. The reason I asked about the Krank Krankshaft was so i could get a nice light, gritty crunch(which the spider can't do either).
Bedroom cleans?

1966 Fender Champ

1964 Fender Princeton

I'll tell ya, these things are investments. The re-issues don't even come close to the originals. I've compared them extensively.

Plus, if you want to sell it, you can only make more money than you spent.

Nothing compares to vintage Fender cleans. Plus, you can just use pedals for distortion.
Last edited by Mike! at Dec 29, 2008,
the peavey is ugly, has less wattage, and is a peavey. go with the deville or deluxe. or maybe a blues deluxe.
OK what are some other Fender tube amps that:

have Low wattage
have amazing cleans
are under $1,000
take pedals well

etc....
Quote by RoadKill1991
OK what are some other Fender tube amps that:

have Low wattage
have amazing cleans
are under $1,000
take pedals well

etc....

blues junior
stevo: I was just gonna ask about those. Which one is better, the Blues Jr. or Blues Jr. NOS? The 15 watts seems nice b/c that means it can be cranked to get the fullest tone out of it w/o being as loud as the HRD. What do you guys generally think of these?
Quote by RoadKill1991
stevo: I was just gonna ask about those. Which one is better, the Blues Jr. or Blues Jr. NOS? The 15 watts seems nice b/c that means it can be cranked to get the fullest tone out of it w/o being as loud as the HRD. What do you guys generally think of these?

i have a 15w amp and i can get awesome tone at moderate volumes, the BJ is great. what can i say? its a blues deluxe but littler
how are the blues Jr. cleans compared to the HRD cleans? Same goes for the overdrive.
Quote by RoadKill1991
how are the blues Jr. cleans compared to the HRD cleans? Same goes for the overdrive.

ok my knowledge ends here

i imagine its easier to coax decent OD out of the BJ at reasonable volume
alright thanks for the help guys. I like the Blues Jr. a lot actually. I'll just have to the shop and see which one i like best!
Heres what I have found,, The Peavey I could pretty much use right outta the box. The Fenders on the other , The tubes and stock speaker had to go before I could use it. I installed Weber Speakers and JJ tubes ,, in both cases it was a MAJOR improvement.

My Rig

Guitars

Fender Strat 60`s Texas Specials
Fender Tele 92 Barden Bridge / Di Marzio Neck ( Stacked )
Jay Turser Pro 200
Custom Esquire

Amps

Crate VC 3012 Modded
Crate VC 508 Modded
1970 Silverface Princeton
1965 Ampeg J12D

Effects
Alessis Nanoverb
Artec Comp
Artec Analog Delay
Keeley Blues Driver
Big Muff ( Russian )
Dan Electro Chicken Salad
Pedal Pad Board
Wait, if you have a grand then you should get an amp that does cleans and distortion well. Spiders are very mediocre and after getting a better amp you will realize how awful the distortion is too. If you will say what type of music you play we can recommend a good amp that will do everything you need.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
How much gain do you need?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.