Hey,

i got a Boss PS-5 Pitch Shifter pedal for Christmas, mainly so I wouldn't have to downtune my guitar to Drop C and stuff like that. However, when I shift the pitch by a half step or two, it sounds incredibly digital and kills my tone (nnot so much with octaves though). I've heard in reviews of it that you can use EQ to get your tone back. Does this mean the EQ on the amp, or would I have to get an EQ pedal? If I have to get an EQ pedal, I might just return the pedal, seeing as it won't really do what I want it to... any help? My parents bought it for me and they might be offended if I want to return a $150 Christmas present
Last edited by -Blue- at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by -Blue-
Hey,

i got a Boss PS-5 Pitch Shifter pedal for Christmas, mainly so I wouldn't have to downtune my guitar to Drop C and stuff like that. However, when I shift the pitch by a half step or two, it sounds incredibly digital and kills my tone (nnot so much with octaves though). I've heard in reviews of it that you can use EQ to get your tone back. Does this mean the EQ on the amp, or would I have to get an EQ pedal? If I have to get an EQ pedal, I might just return the pedal, seeing as it won't really do what I want it to... any help? My parents bought it for me and they might be offended if I want to return a $150 Christmas present

A pitch shifter will never truly replicate down tuning. Though, you may be able to get it to do closer to what you want it to.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
That's pretty much what a pitch shifter is going to do..

If you need a low C, tune down to C.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Sorry to bump an old thread (alright, a few days isn't that bad) but is it even worth keeping the PS-5 around if al I wanted to use it for was to simulate drop-tuning? Or would it be a better idea to exchange the pedal for something else? I could probably convince my parents that it was a bad idea on my part, not theirs.
Quote by -Blue-
Sorry to bump an old thread (alright, a few days isn't that bad) but is it even worth keeping the PS-5 around if al I wanted to use it for was to simulate drop-tuning? Or would it be a better idea to exchange the pedal for something else? I could probably convince my parents that it was a bad idea on my part, not theirs.

If you can justify using it as an effect instead of a handy tool, like, if you use it to make weird sounds, its worth it, but if you want to use it to replicate another tuning, it's gonna be hard to do really well.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
what echo_4190 said, try to use it in another way, but it's not going to work as a true downtuner.

good luck!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Tbh it won't work bad as a downtuner when playing individual notes, but I've found with pitchshifters in the past that playing multiple strings at once, whether a chord, powerchord or just some open strings even that it bleeds and sounds mushy.
Quote by -Blue-
k I guess I'll just try to find ways to use it to make cool effects. Thanks everyone!

Stick on harmonizer mode and rip some awesome solo's, that's the reason I'd buy a PS-5, the harmonizer mode.
Quote by AdamDK
Stick on harmonizer mode and rip some awesome solo's, that's the reason I'd buy a PS-5, the harmonizer mode.

I guess I could try that... granted, I'd have to stay in one key and only use one note at a time (why it has those restrictions I don't know) but it's worth a shot. Could use it with songs I'm already learning. Thanks for the idea!
Quote by -Blue-
I guess I could try that... granted, I'd have to stay in one key and only use one note at a time (why it has those restrictions I don't know) but it's worth a shot. Could use it with songs I'm already learning. Thanks for the idea!

You might get away with two notes at a time like a unison bend, might as well try it and see what it sounds like, but generally chords and powerchords sound crap with pitchshifting.
Man the PS-5 is boss's answer to the Digitech Whammy
It's not meant to do that downtuning thing, it's meant to bend pitches!

I use mine for octaves, harmonies, and divebombs.

If you wanna do that down tuning thing- get a midi system