My jeep keeps overheating, despite the fact that I have filled up all of my cooling-type fluids? And it's not like a gradual overheat, it does it fairly quickly as well.

Any other fairly simple thing I should check before I take it to the shop?

EDIT: It's a 96 Jeep Cherokee, if that helps any.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by Freddedonna
Have you changed the oil in the last 18 years?

Yeah, I changed when I bought it about a month ago. And I checked it and the level seemed good.
Blast the heat at all times.
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
Does it have a gapping whole from which these cooling liquids leak from? If so, it might be best to take it some where to get it fixed.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
Is the fan working? If not, get a new one. You should be able to get a good used fan from a salvage yard fairly cheap. I don't own a Jeep so I don't know how much exactly.
Quote by E Daws
^Just find the diameter of your penis and multiply it by Pi.

God.

The GAME
It could be:

The thermostat: Sometimes they get old and don;t turn and release heating and cooling agents when they should should run you like 30 bucks tops.

Head Gasket: Your motor needs to be redone A LOT OF MONEY

Water Pump: stuffs not flowing right 600$
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by Captain Insano
My jeep keeps overheating, despite the fact that I have filled up all of my cooling-type fluids? And it's not like a gradual overheat, it does it fairly quickly as well.

Any other fairly simple thing I should check before I take it to the shop?

EDIT: It's a 96 Jeep Cherokee, if that helps any.

I also have a 96 Jeep Cherokee. When I took it on a long drive on vacation with my friends, the engine, literally, blew up. It started smoking and just well.. blew up.

It cost me $4,000 dollars for a new engine.

It still overheats.

Be really freaking careful. It might be a problem with the radiator, I'm thinking about getting a larger one installed. I've also heard getting a different thermostat would help. Finally, I've heard that there is a tube in the engine (I don't know where) that's supposed to have a spring in it... and when the engine gets repaired that often the tube gets replaced without the spring. That cuts off coolant to the engine.

I've noticed mine only overheats now when I drive short distances and have to turn the car on and off. Like driving to the grocery store, then to my friends, then to a pizza place.

Be really careful.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Dude it could be the temperature gauge that tells your car when to release cool-ing fluids .. its not working so your engine just gets too hot?

just a guess, if thats not the problem its most likely the fan
I read this as "Cat keeps overheating."

"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
Quote by Bushinarin
I also have a 96 Jeep Cherokee. When I took it on a long drive on vacation with my friends, the engine, literally, blew up. It started smoking and just well.. blew up.

It cost me $4,000 dollars for a new engine.

It still overheats.

Be really freaking careful. It might be a problem with the radiator, I'm thinking about getting a larger one installed. I've also heard getting a different thermostat would help. Finally, I've heard that there is a tube in the engine (I don't know where) that's supposed to have a spring in it... and when the engine gets repaired that often the tube gets replaced without the spring. That cuts off coolant to the engine.

I've noticed mine only overheats now when I drive short distances and have to turn the car on and off. Like driving to the grocery store, then to my friends, then to a pizza place.

Be really careful.

My old subaru used to do that, on small drives and still like drive thru's it would just randomly overheat. I could go down the highway 75 for 2 hours and nothing but then if I went to Burger King and drove slow, it would over heat. I later found out it was a head gasket that was just gett9ing worse and worse and I had to sell the thing for scraps. If i was you I'd start looking for a new car because those kind of problems only get worse.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
open the hood and take look really carefully for any leaks from the radiator. and also turn on your car and make sure your fan is spinning like it should.
thermostat, that's gotta be it. If it craps out your car will never go out of closed-circuit or whatever the hell it's called. your engine will run without any cooling going when you first start it up so that it can get to the proper temperature, but if the thermostat doesn't tell it that it's hot enough already, it'll keep running in closed-circuit. It'll heat up extremely quick.
Quote by /Qwertytrewq\
Blast the heat at all times.

Seriously do this. It will cool down, that why if your car is overheating in the summer time to roll down the windows and blast the heat because it will help. Then if you can find a friend or friend of the family and see if they can fix the problem. If you can't find anybody you'll probably have to go to a mechanic.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
It could be:

The thermostat: Sometimes they get old and don;t turn and release heating and cooling agents when they should should run you like 30 bucks tops.

Head Gasket: Your motor needs to be redone A LOT OF MONEY

Water Pump: stuffs not flowing right 600$

+1

Though, water pumps aren't THAT expensive, and thermostats run around $13 around here.

I just had to replace the water pump on my van, and it ran us a couple hundred dollars, I think.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20