Alright well I'm really trying to get into improvisation and I've been learnign all these different positions for the minor pentatonic scale. I do have a few questions. When you're listening to a song, and it's in a major key, you can play the relative minor pentatonic scale to that major key right? Also, I'd like to know a couple solos that just use the minor pentatonic so that I can study some licks and how they move around. Thanks for any help.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
i think that some bullet for my valentine solos are in minor pentatonic, but dont quote me on this, i could be wrong! try "suffocating under words of sorrow" by them
I'll let you in on a little secret...

Almost every blues song ever recorded has a minor pentatonic solo at some point.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
they play in drop C, I'm looking for stuff in standard
The notes from a Major scales relative minor are the exact same. The only difference in the tonal center.

If you play using a "relative minor" scale over a progression in a Major key.. it would be simply using the major scale. In order for the solo to be in a minor key, the progression has to be minor aswell
Guns 'N Roses songs. Slash uses the Minor Pentatonic nearly always.
And forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Zakk Wylde use it alot as well?

Jedit: And Nilp, Dimebag used the blues scale. But the minor pent can still be used to solo over Pantera songs.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

He is the pentatonic master
He even has a video called pentatonic speedball or some ****.

The blues scale is just 1 added note, Page and Tony Iommi used it alot too, it's not much difference.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

Jedit: And Nilp, Dimebag used the blues scale. But the minor pent can still be used to solo over Pantera songs.

Dimebag is confusing to newbies though, because he used a lot of chromaticism and often strayed completely out of key.
Quote by CowboyUp
Dimebag is confusing to newbies though, because he used a lot of chromaticism and often strayed completely out of key.

Yeah... you gotta love him.

I'm not a huge Pantera fan, and I do think that his tone sucked ass however he was one motherfucker of a guitarist.

Also TS, most classic/hard rockers used the Minor Pent. It's like THE scale for improvs.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

I'm not a huge Pantera fan, and I do think that his tone sucked ass however he was one motherfucker of a guitarist.

Also TS, most classic/hard rockers used the Minor Pent. It's like THE scale for improvs.

yeah, hell of a guy, hell of a guitarist. Probably the most unique lead guitarist I've ever heard, and my favorite groove-metal riffer ever.

But seriously...he could have used some mids.
Quote by CowboyUp
yeah, hell of a guy, hell of a guitarist. Probably the most unique lead guitarist I've ever heard, and my favorite groove-metal riffer ever.

But seriously...he could have used some mids.

No, he has a very good tone that perfectly represents solid state amps
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
No, he has a very good tone that perfectly represents solid state amps

I don't know about that, but still it worked for him, and it's how he chose to sound.
Quote by CowboyUp
I don't know about that, but still it worked for him, and it's how he chose to sound.

I meant it in a good way
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I meant it in a good way

Still, Randall's only sound like that if you have 3 EQs with the mids at -10, a delay, 2 overdrives, a whammy pedal, and a Crybaby that's never switched off.
Quote by CowboyUp
Still, Randall's only sound like that if you have 3 EQs with the mids at -10, a delay, 2 overdrives, a whammy pedal, and a Crybaby that's never switched off.

I like it
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

No, not really. Nobody really raved about him before he died. He was a very good guitarist but I refuse to buy into this 'RIP DIMEBAG!!!!! BAWWW!!!!' crap. I am not saying it is good he died, just that his death has given him a godlike status. Ehh, whatever.

99% of mainstream rock is done with pentatonic minor or harmonic minor. When I say "mainstream" I am talking about bands that most people listen to, not bands that only guitarists or musical elitists know about.
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by deleriumtrigger
No, not really. Nobody really raved about him before he died. He was a very good guitarist but I refuse to buy into this 'RIP DIMEBAG!!!!! BAWWW!!!!' crap. I am not saying it is good he died, just that his death has given him a godlike status. Ehh, whatever.

His death improved his tone?
Hold it... lots of slash's solos contain notes that have nothing to do with the minor pentatonic. What's that about?
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Quote by deleriumtrigger

99% of mainstream rock is done with pentatonic minor or harmonic minor. When I say "mainstream" I am talking about bands that most people listen to, not bands that only guitarists or musical elitists know about.

That's complete bollocks, you're obviously either not old enough to know what you're talking about or just plain ignorant. You couldn't move for Dime's face on guitar mags in the 90's...he was pretty much THE guitar hero of that era. I was never a massive Pantera fan but you couldn't deny the guy's talent.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thanks for jacking my thread guys lol.
Quote by steven seagull
That's complete bollocks, you're obviously either not old enough to know what you're talking about or just plain ignorant. You couldn't move for Dime's face on guitar mags in the 90's...he was pretty much THE guitar hero of that era. I was never a massive Pantera fan but you couldn't deny the guy's talent.

I shouldn't have said he wasn't raved about, it's not really what I meant. What I meant was, after his death nobody will hold a hard opinion against him. I have never liked his playing style but he is a very good guitarist. Once again, I'm not saying that it is a good thing he died.
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
solos using minor pentatonic? 3 words my friend:
stairway to heaven
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
if your gonna play a minor pentatonic shape over a major key, just shift the minor shape 3 frets down, and theres the major pentatonic for that key.
Love is my religion
Quote by Thrash648
if your gonna play a minor pentatonic shape over a major key, just shift the minor shape 3 frets down, and theres the major pentatonic for that key.

ah okay, awesome thanks.

and yah stairway's a big one.
Quote by Thrash648

That's right, it's the MAJOR pentatonic. Actually for a LOT of rock and especially
blues you're probably more likely to hear the MINOR pentatonic played in a MAJOR
key (ie E minor pentatonic would be played over E major). MAJOR pentatonic
(or "shifting the minor shape down 3 frets") tends to be a more country sound.