Hi there, I have a homemade cabinet which had become damaged (the speaker was badly punctured, so I've attempted a repair), but in re-connecting the speakers I realized that the two speakers are rated differently (one 8 ohm, one 16 ohm). I had been using this for a while without knowing this. When I disassembled the speaker I misplaced some of the wires (I assume they were connected in parallel). I don't know if the original wires had any kind of resistors attached to make this work, so I'm uncertain whether I can reconnect in parallel and simply use the cab again, or if it will damage one of the speakers.

My head offers 8 ohm and 16 ohm connection. (Or if using two cables it connects in 16 ohm--and I don't have the second cable anyway).

Is there anyone who knows about this stuff, who could get me up and running again? It wasn't a bad set up before the speaker damage.

Thanks, Doug.
I could help you out but i didn't understood one lil thing, how many speaks it has and what is their ohms? Ans which ports your head has? I can help you wiring if you give me a lil more detailed info on this.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Line6
I could help you out but i didn't understood one lil thing, how many speaks it has and what is their ohms? Ans which ports your head has? I can help you wiring if you give me a lil more detailed info on this.

It has 2 speakers.

1 - 8 ohm speaker, 1 - 16 ohm speaker

my head has both an 8 ohm port and a 16 ohm port.

I can only use one port (at a time) though.

Thanks, Doug.
Last edited by TinyRivers at Dec 27, 2008,
Go to someone more specialized in this, the 16 ohm MUST had used a resistor, theres no way you can connect that in series, parallel, series/parallel and make it work for either 8 or 16 ohms, i will try to investigate to help ya out. But i can't be sure of everything hehe.

Even though that, i would sell either one of those and buy a new speaker, less hassle :3

Quote by Line6
Go to someone more specialized in this, the 16 ohm MUST had used a resistor, theres no way you can connect that in series, parallel, series/parallel and make it work for either 8 or 16 ohms, i will try to investigate to help ya out. But i can't be sure of everything hehe.

Even though that, i would sell either one of those and buy a new speaker, less hassle :3

Thanks Line 6.

I had started the repair some time ago, and only now started to complete it. I think there may have been some resistors there somewhere....thanks again. Doug.
The way I understand what you've said is that you have 2 speakers, different ohm ratings, same cabinet and wired to the same input jack, right?

If so then my suggestion would be to recone the speaker with the hole in it, sell it and buy another one with the same ohm rating as the 'good' speaker.

Is your amp SS or tube? Also, what output jack were you using on the amp, 8 or 16? I don't know what would happen with an SS amp in either configuration but I know that you can seriously damage a tube amp with improper impedence settings. So I would check your map for any damage berfore trying to fire it up again as well.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Quote by MeanwiththeDean
The way I understand what you've said is that you have 2 speakers, different ohm ratings, same cabinet and wired to the same input jack, right?

If so then my suggestion would be to recone the speaker with the hole in it, sell it and buy another one with the same ohm rating as the 'good' speaker.

Is your amp SS or tube? Also, what output jack were you using on the amp, 8 or 16? I don't know what would happen with an SS amp in either configuration but I know that you can seriously damage a tube amp with improper impedence settings. So I would check your map for any damage berfore trying to fire it up again as well.

You understand correctly, 2 different ohm ratings on 2 different speakers in one cab wired to one jack.

My Amp (Head) is SS.

It had been previously wired and sounded pretty great before the damage was done, but about a year ago I "started" the repair, and simply connected the good speaker only. The problem is, I must've had extra wiring (with possibly resistors attached) to one of the speakers, removed it and never took note of how it was wired. I also seem to have lost this extra wiring.
I'm probably not going to go through the process of selling and buying, (no time or money and I'm lazy ) so I assume there must be a way to put it back in parallel or series and have 'er up and running again.

None of this gear is high-end enough to worry about, but I would like to get it running as a back up/practice amp.

Basically, I guess what I'm asking is if it IS possible, with resistors added, to wire an 8 ohm and 16ohm in parallel/series without issues. Also, if it can be done, what rating of resistor would I likely need?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks, Doug.
Ok, after reading about someone with a similar issue i finally got it lol, wire an 8 ohm resistor to the 16 ohm speaker and wire them in parallel for the result to end in 16 ohms, it was in my face all the time lol.

The 8 ohm resistor will add 8 ohms (duh) to the 16 ohms speaker tus, making it sound higher how others would say, making it a bit more potent, basically, what the resistor do is add 8 ohms to that speaker. Making that and wiring in in parallel would end in a beautiful 16 ohms 2xw/e you have cab. Then when wired in parallel it's going to be 32 ohms, but, because it is in parallel it would act as a 16 ohm cab :3

Hope this helps hehe.

Last edited by Line6 at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by Line6
Ok, after reading about someone with a similar issue i finally got it lol, wire an 8 ohm resistor to the 16 ohm speaker and wire them in parallel for the result to end in 16 ohms, it was in my face all the time lol.

The 8 ohm resistor will add 8 ohms (duh) to the 16 ohms speaker tus, making it sound higher how others would say, making it a bit more potent, basically, what the resistor do is add 8 ohms to that speaker. Making that and wiring in in parallel would end in a beautiful 16 ohms 2xw/e you have cab. Then when wired in parallel it's going to be 32 ohms, but, because it is in parallel it would act as a 16 ohm cab :3

Hope this helps hehe.

Thanks. It makes perfect sense. I will try this and let you know how I make out. Thanks again...Doug.
Dah, it's no problem to help someone :3

The joy of hearing you say "it works!!" Is what keeps me like this :3