Ok, so i got my ESP KH-202 for christams and i came..well...drastically out of tune...and one of the strings snapped straght away. so we took it back to the shop and they set it up for me...showed me how to change strings, tune etc...the floyd goes out of balance after so he adjusts it.

So i get home and i play for about an hour, not really using the whammy bar at all, and it goes out of tune AGAIN! (and i mean 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 steps down).

so i tune it, like the guy in the shop did, and the trem goes out of balance..AGAIN...and im just gettin really annoyed.

So...

Q: is it the guitars fault or is this normal or what?

and any ways to fix it myself (and im not messing around with the springs BTW)
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
you're gonna have to mess about with the springs eventually. it's a bit like buying a car and saying that you're not going to mess about with refilling the petrol tank.

you need to make sure the strings are stretched well, and that the trem is balanced (i.e. sitting level when viewed from the side- not pulled up or down at a dodgy angle- if it is, you have to mess with the springs). you also need to make sure that each string is balanced- if you change the tuning slightly on one string it can knock all the other strings out of whack. once you've tuned and retuned several times, it should settle down, though.

is the locking nut locked ok?

if the dude set it up for you and it's still going badly out of tune, he mustn't have set it up very well for you. either that or the knife edges are already shot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ its brand new...and i must have tuned it atleast 10 times in the last hour tryin to get it back to standard. and i cant mess with the springs myself because i am a total n00b with floyds.

EDIT:And the nuts at the top are fine. And i cant get pics...unfortunatley
Last edited by Audioslave95 at Dec 27, 2008,
I agree with dave mc.

But pics would be great, makes it a lot easier to get an idea of whats wrong.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
pics
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Remember how your E3 string will tune all the other strings in the opposite direction. Depending on where you start tuning, you should compensate for this by either tuning past your desired pitch by a little, or tuning slightly lower. Check your tuning again after you've tightened the locks.

I've never had real trouble with floyds, but they take some getting used to.

http://floydrose.com/instructions.html

Read up on this, you'll learn some nice tricks.
have you tried the floyd thread? (it's stickied)

also, there's nothing to messing with the springs. if you can work a screwdriver, you can adjust the springs. tightening them lowers the floyd's angle in towards the body, loosening them raises the angle.

also, try tuning alternate strings- tune the low E first, then the high E, tune the low E again (if it's gone out), then tune the A, then the B (and check those 4 strings again to make sure they're all still in tune), then tune the D and the G (and check all the strings to make sure they're all still in tune). before long, it should balance.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've had every problem with a floyd going, listen to me =]

Method one.
1.Get your floyd rose

2.Oil it up lots and lots

3.Set fire to it

Method Two
1. Block the floyd rose, which means taking off the backplate (big square bit on the back of the body, attatched by 6 screws)

2.Put a piece of wood, or solid plastic so that the bridge cannot dive, it can't go down. Put it behind the big metal block.

3.Tune

4.Mark where the floyd rose is sitting (at what angle, use a protractor)

5.(at this point, you can stop, and have a fixed bridge, or...) take out the wood/plastic, and screw/unscrew the screws which have springs attatched, until it is at the same angle it was when the wood was in it.

6.Tune using the fine tuners.

7.Re-attatch the backplate

Hope you find it helpful =]
OK...just had a word with my dad...and took a long look at my guitar...

the trem isn't alligned properly (I.E. it isnt parralel to the pickups or cavity its in) and i tried the tuning thing Dave MC said...still isnt working...

so back to the shop and i'll see if i can get it swapped or somethin

EDIT: And it is a licensed floyd
Last edited by Audioslave95 at Dec 27, 2008,
Make sure the strings are stretched also try tuning, whammying and re-tuning a few times until the bar brings it back in tune. Tighten the screws on the spring claw to pull the bridge back loosen to make it go forward. Make sure the locks on the nut are tight as well as the bridge. And I hate to say it but it might just be the bridge itself as it is a licensed floyd (I've had trouble with every licensed floyd I've had)
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
yeah, you need to balance the tuning with the springs in the back so that when it's in tune, the bridge is parallel to the top of the guitar
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?