I'm pretty much dead set on getting the Engl Thunder, however I'm getting kind of interested in the Carvin V3.

I haven't really decided if I'll get the head or cab version yet, but if I get the head version will get an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30's to go with it.

So, I play brutal metal, but not sludgy slam stuff. I need a lot of articulation and I need all of my notes to ring out clearly because I play a lot of jazz chords and the such. I tune to D standard so I don't detune too much. The Engl from what I understand is a more prestigious brand so I'm leaning towards that. Please don't recommend a 5150. We recorded with 5150 block letters and I wasn't very impressed. My price range is about 1100 USD.

Thank you
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

I really would not call Engl the more prestigous brand haha. Carvin make amazing guitar amps. I owned a V3 in the past, sold it in October, for what you are describing it is perfect. I could put so much gain on that amp that my head would shake and each note would sparkle, there was no muddy concentration of notes from it.

Youtube some videos of people playing both and decide. I personally loved my V3 and would buy another one at the drop of a hat.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Awesome.
I haven't YouTube'd any videos of the V3 yet but I'm planning on driving down to WW&BW and trying one out here soon.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

The videos I've watched of the Engl are mind blowing br00tal. That's pretty much what made up my mind on it.

No, but they'll for sure have a used one there.

Believe it or not, I am also looking at the EXACT same amps. Only I want mine to be in head form for sure. The ENGL looks sweet but might not fit the bill for what I play. I do a lot of rock and clean fingerpicking. No metal or anything with lots of gain. I'm not even that fond of high gain.....SO, the Carvin is looking pretty tasty to me. But I haven't given up hope on the ENGL either.

Plus, I think the Carvin looks better and has 23 knobs and has those cool switches that are on Boogie Recs.
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
ENGL. It sounds way better than the V3 IMO.
The V3 is just a bunch of fizz.
The V3 is absolutely awful. I highly recommend you avoid it. It's very plain sounding, not much low end, and the high end is rather fizzy.

My friend is running a graphic EQ with it, still can't coax enough low end out of that thing.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Really? Well I guess ya'll know more than I do about it. I looked/listened to a lot of clips of both and preferred *(sp) the V3, but if ya'll don't like it at all from first hand experience than I will believe you.
Thanks for your help!
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head