this xmass i got a 150watt line6 half stackhd or w/e and im think about returing it for something else should i exchange the head for somthing else or get a whole new stack any otehr suggestions r fine im going to start playing in a band so i need somthing that can play with a drummer i play hardcore/thrash music and heavy music and some clean stuff thanks for all teh help
Return the whole thing and get a tube combo, it will destroy the Line 6.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
get a tube combo amp..

trust me.. i just started using a stack, and it's a pain in the *** to transport. just because it's a halfstack doesn't even mean it'll sound better than a combo.. most of the time it's the opposite
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
get a tube combo amp..

trust me.. i just started using a stack, and it's a pain in the *** to transport. just because it's a halfstack doesn't even mean it'll sound better than a combo.. most of the time it's the opposite

If you manage to have a speaker in rehearsals, it's not that difficult to transport the head. Some combos are even harder to move. And the stack is really worth the sound, the power, and the feel you get from it.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
get a tube combo amp..

Some people may need the sound only a half/full stack provides

I don't know what your price range is, but the B-52 AT is at a steal-of-a-price right now.

If you NEED a half stack (I really don't know why..), get a Randall RG50TH or Randall SS, they are the only decent ones at that price.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by dudey5691
If you NEED a half stack (I really don't know why..), get a Randall RG50TC or Randall SS, they are the only decent ones at that price.

The RG50TC is a combo.

A tube combo will sound louder than your stack you have now and sound better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
what music do you play? unless its pure metal, look into some smaller tube combos as already mentioned like the fender blues junior, the vox ac15 are two great options. As for the whole combo vs stack debate: There is no real difference. The only difference lies in the freedom of speaker choice a head gives you, and it is easier to transport íf you as already said have speakers in the rehearsal. There is no sonic difference. You can, however get a nice tube combo for the same price as a not so good ss stack as the one you got. Really suggest you return it. If you like the idea of a head and a cab(stack) you will need to throw a bit more money in. The orange tiny terror, the laney lionheart l20h and the peavey classic 30 head are great options here: but it will be more expensive.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
The best solution for you could be the Peavey Valve King Head with your line6 box. The box doesnt sound that bad, and the VK head is only 50€ more, at least in germany.

Do you need a halfstack for playing live or because of the sound? If you just want one for playing live, get a nice tube combo, as anyone other suggest, if you need the punch of a 4x12, there's nothing wrong about halfstacks. (And IMO they sound very different) The best would be if you just go to the shops around you and try everything within your price range until you find what you like best.

For 600-700 you can get a decent combo, but i doubt that you can get a halfstack that is as good as the combos for 600...
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."