Page 1 of 2
Please - only people who have known me and talked to me about gear respond.

I am (or was) about to buy a Splawn Pro Stock from an established seller on Harmony Central and eBay. It would be my first time buying off of an individual online rather than a vendor/retailer.

Since it was my first time, I asked him questions to make sure that this was a valid sale and that I can trust him to send me the Splawn after I send the money. I assumed that this was something common for a buyer to do.

After about 4/5 messages back and forth, I felt comfortable and was in a position to buy. I told him I'd make my Paypal account and we'll confirm everything before I sent the money.

He then sends this in response:

man,

I apologize if I come off being rude here, but all of these questions about the amp and asking me if Im legit is coming off a tad suspicious on your part to be honest. YOU are the one with no paypal account, a brand new harmony-central acount, and zero feedback on ebay...so, Im questioning this deal my self. Do you have anything that credits your self as being legit???

I reply saying that I have no deals on HCAF or eBay as reference, but can provide any information he needs, and gave him links to posts on here confirming that I have been saving and looking for an amp here for a while.

He appears to be ignoring me now, as if I'm some sort of scam artist.

TL;DR: Read above. I'm asking, to all of the people that I've talked to and dealt with on here, to vouch for me on the fact that I have been sincerely looking for an amp for a while now.

I intended to pay him using a Credit Card through PayPal, directly to his PayPal account. I don't see how I can scam him
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
He is the one in the right, reputation gets you a long way in online retail. You seem to be a well educated nice person, If you do it over ebay ( try to do so) check his feedback, its its 98%+ with over 50 transactions you have nothing to worry about

If he does scam you contact a previous ebuyer who has done business with him > Get his address> cut the FUC*ERS head off
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I'm not the one who's worried, he's worried about me.

He thinks I'm going to scam him in some sort of way
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Get some people here that have HC accounts and ask them to vouch for you. If you hammered him about the amp and his reputation, he probably got annoyed and thought you were a newb.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
I dont come on UG forums nearly enough to know who you are, so i cannot vouch but-

how does you asking question make you seem like you're about to scam him...? Wouldn't a scammer who isnt going to pay be a lot more likely to just be like 'yo send me the amp ill wire you the money' rather than asking about it?

and yea, how _can_ you scam him if you're paying him first???
I can see why he would be weary, though if its just responses he wants, so as to put him at ease, i'll happily vouch for you, having seen you on a hunt for an amp for quite some time now.

so...yeah, mike.h is a well known guy around here and legit by all means

EDIT: Just make all the right moves, i.e. go through ebay if possible etc, and as such it would be nigh on impossible for scams to be run anyway surely?

I do have a HC account, but don't ever use it or i'd try and vouch that way too
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by occub
Get some people here that have HC accounts and ask them to vouch for you. If you hammered him about the amp and his reputation, he probably got annoyed and thought you were a newb.

Yeah, I was thinking of that. I already know of 1 person on UG I know that has a HC account, don't know anyone else though.

I was talking to a guy about his Nitro on HCAF. I'll ask him to put in a good word for me maybe?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

^Goolz has one, pretty sure Dave has one, Pott has one (not sure if you know of him/he knows of you, but you're both relatively well known round here, s'worth a shot)

There's a few i can think of off the top of my head.
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Contact Dave_mc, very helpful and friendly guy
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
his lose, apparently he doesn't want your money ? what a weirdo. i've done my share of deals in gear ads and i could care less how many deals someone has made in the past, if they want my stuff and send me the money for it it's all theirs.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mike.h
Yeah, I was thinking of that. I already know of 1 person on UG I know that has a HC account, don't know anyone else though.

I was talking to a guy about his Nitro on HCAF. I'll ask him to put in a good word for me maybe?

I think alot of people here have HC accounts, give it some time for the regulars to show up. You might have to chalk this up as a learning experience but i'd try to salvage it if it's a good deal.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
he's been clogging up the who to listen too for weeks moaning about not having a slawn

i'd sell him an amp =]
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
When I sell things, I could honestly care less if the person has references or not, as long as I get the money (via PayPal), I don't see how you could be scamming him unless you told him to send it before he got the money.

Buying on the other hand is a different story, I would not buy anything from someone without references because I'm sending them money, hoping that they'll send me something in return.

From the seller's point of view, there's really not any way you can scam him, especially if you're paying via PayPal and he gets the money instantly
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
When I sell things, I could honestly care less if the person has references or not, as long as I get the money (via PayPal), I don't see how you could be scamming him unless you told him to send it before he got the money.

Buying on the other hand is a different story, I would not buy anything from someone without references because I'm sending them money, hoping that they'll send me something in return.

From the seller's point of view, there's really not any way you can scam him, especially if you're paying via PayPal and he gets the money instantly

Wise words
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by MatrixClaw

Matrix,

I know you have an account on HCAF. If I send you a PM (on HCAF) with his Username, can you vouch for me, and basically tell him what you just said above?

I would greatly appreciate it.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Matrix,

I know you have an account on HCAF. If I send you a PM (on HCAF) with his Username, can you vouch for me, and basically tell him what you just said above?

I would greatly appreciate it.

For sure man, that's no problem.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
PM'd you on HCAF Matrix
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I'll send you a PM on HCAF TheEsupremacy
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by TheEsupremacy
I post on HC a lot. What's the guys user name? Maybe I can help you.

PM Sent

Quote by dandadog
I have an account over on HC too, if that's any help.

Sure, what's your username?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

What you need to do is just send him the money. Since you're already comfortable with this guy being real, it shouldn't be a problem. That way, since he already has the money, you're clearly not trying to scam him.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Well I can't send him money without knowing that he's on board with the deal..

Matrix and TheEsupremacy, did you guys get my PM on HCAF?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

i've got an HC account, but i'm not exactly a regular.

only other thing i'd say is that, with your current new amp fund, you aren't a million miles away from just buying a new one (assuming you already have a cab).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

only other thing i'd say is that, with your current new amp fund, you aren't a million miles away from just buying a new one (assuming you already have a cab).

This is as much money as I can possibly use. This is all of my savings + all of the gear I've sold. Can't go 1 penny above this.

I dont have a cab either.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h

Yeah, I PM'd him. Accidentally deleted your PM and forgot to PM you back

Quote by Dave_Mc

He doesn't have a cab, plus he'd be waiting a month and a half or so for it to be made if he bought new.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
ok.

i dunno what to tell you. if the dude doesn't want to sell to you there isn't much we can do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mike.h
Well I can't send him money without knowing that he's on board with the deal..

PM him and say,

"I'm sorry if I've come across at suspicious. This is my first time buying a used amp, and the first time I've ever purchased something this signifigant online. If you are still willing to sell the amp, I can send you the money right away BEFORE you send me the amp. Sorry for any inconvenience, looking forward to your reply"

Or something along those lines.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
PM him and say,

"I'm sorry if I've come across at suspicious. This is my first time buying a used amp, and the first time I've ever purchased something this signifigant online. If you are still willing to sell the amp, I can send you the money right away BEFORE you send me the amp. Sorry for any inconvenience, looking forward to your reply"

Or something along those lines.

I already sent him something like that. Pretty sure he's ignoring me now.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Ahhh damn. I didn't read the entire thread, sorry if you already stated that.

You're best bet is to do what you're doing then - get a few people to back you up.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Yeah.

Hopefully he see's that I'm genuinely interested and that I wont scam him

Still don't understand how I cant be trusted, sending money from a Credit Card through PayPal.

Thanks for PM'ing him Matrix, I really appreciate it. What did you say?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Thanks for PM'ing him Matrix, I really appreciate it. What did you say?

Basically the same thing I said in my first post and that if you're sending him money via PayPal and he gets it, good deal, if not, it's not like he's losing anything. Really nothing to lose for him
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sounds good

Thanks man.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Yeah, I don't understand how he could be suspicious if he receives money before he sends the amp, and I'll gladly vouch for you if it helps, but if the guy is acting like that, then it may just be best to move on and wait for another amp. For all you know, you could find a deal in a week that makes you happy you didn't take this one.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Well it looks like he's logged into HCAF, we'll see what happens :/
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Heh,

I think he's still ignoring me even with Matrix vouching for me.

Honestly, what the hell. It's not like when you buy something from a retailer online they ask you for your info and past purchases. You send them the money, they send you the item. That's it.

I really don't know what this guy is thinking.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Heh,

I think he's still ignoring me even with Matrix vouching for me.

Honestly, what the hell. It's not like when you buy something from a retailer online they ask you for your info and past purchases. You send them the money, they send you the item. That's it.

I really don't know what this guy is thinking.

He PM'd me back and said thanks for vouching for you and he's going to sell it to you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Really?

SWEET. He hasn't sent me a message though.

Man, can't thank you enough Matrix. THANK YOU!
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Page 1 of 2