Page 1 of 2
Hey guys! New here!

Soo, I'm getting a guitar, Gibson SG Special Faded. I normally couldnt afford it, but I got an offer I cant refuse. (Its my first electrical guitar, I've played acoustic for 2 years. I thought about getting an Epiphone first, but a Gibson, a Gibson, aaah) Now, I need an amplifier. I not an expert in this area.

First, I thought about getting a Line6 Spider III 75W, but I heard it wasn't a very good amp. Then I thought, "Hey, Marshall makes good amps, right? Why not a Marshall MG50DFX?" I read a lot of reviews. Some critics praised it and some hated it, as with the Spider. Now I'm a little bit confused, to be honest.

I've heard tube amps are the best, but I don't know if I can afford one. I dont play in a band, so I'll mostly play in my room (That means I wont turn up the volume a lot). I play everything from indie to metal.

Whats a good amp for a Gibson SG Faded, price range $300-450? Shoot!

// zatyr
Quote by zatyr
Hey guys! New here!

Soo, I'm getting a guitar, Gibson SG Special Faded. I normally couldnt afford it, but I got an offer I cant refuse. (Its my first electrical guitar, I've played acoustic for 2 years. I thought about getting an Epiphone first, but a Gibson, a Gibson, aaah) Now, I need an amplifier. I not an expert in this area.

First, I thought about getting a Line6 Spider III 75W, but I heard it wasn't a very good amp. Then I thought, "Hey, Marshall makes good amps, right? Why not a Marshall MG50DFX?" I read a lot of reviews. Some critics praised it and some hated it, as with the Spider. Now I'm a little bit confused, to be honest.

I've heard tube amps are the best, but I don't know if I can afford one. I dont play in a band, so I'll mostly play in my room (That means I wont turn up the volume a lot). I play everything from indie to metal.

Whats a good amp for a Gibson SG Faded, price range $300-450? Shoot!

// zatyr

that Marshall thing made me laugh with your budget i suggest a B-52 AT 112
or the new Peavey Vypyr tube 60 (actually its a hybrid)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Roland Cube
Peavey Vyper
Peavey Valveking
B-52 AT-112

You *might* be able to pick up at Mesa F-30, DC-3 or a Marshall JCM 900 combo at the top-end of your price range, but you're going to have to wait it out for those. You'll have to go used obviously, but they will be much better than anything else in your price range.

Stay FAR away from the Line 6 Spider IIs and IIIs, as well as the Marshall MGs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Look at a peavy vypyr id say
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
a practice amp with a bunch of different tones seems ideal for what you need.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT30-30W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483552 this one's pretty common... not a bad amp.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482910 not too sure if this one resembles a spider III or not, someone else could vouch for that

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075 these seem pretty nice, and can get pretty loud despite their 15watt rating.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
If you're not leaving your bedroom, get a BlackHeart Little Giant Halfstack, and maybe a nice distortion pedal (metal muff?) for the metal stuff you play.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
If you're not leaving your bedroom, get a BlackHeart Little Giant Halfstack, and maybe a nice distortion pedal (metal muff?) for the metal stuff you play.

hey that's what i do

or just get a vypyr30 or cube 30x if you are only playing in your bedroom
feel free to add me
Quote by zatyr
"Hey, Marshall makes good amps, right? Why not a Marshall MG50DFX?"

wrong.

they make some good amps. the MG series are catastrophically bad (not even real marshalls)

i'd go for a blackheart little giant or handsome devil, a peavey windsor studio a crate V50 (if you can afford an attenuator) or a peavey valveking royal 8

some of those might need an overdrive pedal for metal. Ts9 is a sure bet
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
a practice amp with a bunch of different tones seems ideal for what you need.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT30-30W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483552 this one's pretty common... not a bad amp.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482910 not too sure if this one resembles a spider III or not, someone else could vouch for that

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075 these seem pretty nice, and can get pretty loud despite their 15watt rating.

These are some good suggestions.
Not sure if you can still get crate v series, if you can, check that out too.
███████████████████████████████████
Congrats on the purchase very nice guitar indeed. great deal too:P
Ofcourse you should be ashamed not to play it thrugh a nice tube amp that'll make it sing

I have suggested some 15 watt amps. These will be very loud for bedroom playing, but really nice investments as you can gig with them with ease later on Take it from me, if you buy something thats not cutting it 100% youll just end up selling it and getting something else. A 5 watt like the valve junior and the blackheart with are actually too loud to crank in a room anyways, and might have problems with clean headroom when playing with a band so would suggest you stay away from those. 15 is great for gigging, as you get huge amount of headroom, though volume wont make everyone in the room deaf. With a quality amp like these you'll still be able to get good tones in you bedroom, just not as great as a cranked amp

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laney-LC15-15W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481329
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Pro-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480511

two great choices, but if you really wanna make that SG sing like it should, save up a bit more and get this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC15CC1-Custom-Classic-1x12-Tube-Amp?sku=482625

That is an amp for life IMO.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Last edited by chrisdam at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Roland Cube
Peavey Vyper
Peavey Valveking
B-52 AT-112

You *might* be able to pick up at Mesa F-30, DC-3 or a Marshall JCM 900 combo at the top-end of your price range, but you're going to have to wait it out for those. You'll have to go used obviously, but they will be much better than anything else in your price range.

Stay FAR away from the Line 6 Spider IIs and IIIs, as well as the Marshall MGs.

+1 ( i haven't tried all of those, but that sounds like good advice)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
get the B-52 at-112, even thought 60 tube watts may be overkill, its hard to resist its recent price drop
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
I recommend a Roland Cube. If you already know how to play, these are great amps for finding your sound, be it clean or dirty. They're one of the best of the "Marshall MG/Line 6 Spider" types that you're looking for. They've got a bunch of effects built in and I got a brand new 30 watt for about 230$.
blackheart little giant or epiphone valvejunior

both amazing bedroom amps

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
With your price range the b-52 would be a good choice. i still think i would go with the blackheart or valve junior and a distortion pedal for metal
i wouldn't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you have access to a 1x12 cab -- or even a small Marshall 1x10 cab -- then you should look at getting a used Orange Tiny Terror head. That's what I play my Gibson SG Classic through, and it sounds greats.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Get a Marshall and test it before....

Marschall are always best amps, and the prices are O.K.
All Gibson / Epiphone Models fit perfectly with Marshall Amps.

Buy one ;D
Rock in Rio II:
Axl:

Welcome to the Jungle, we got fun n' games!
Ya learn to live like an animal in the Jungle where we play Yeah! (what the fvck do I sing ?!)
We gi-di jodigly. We gonna Jodeldy. We err get anything you want,...
Orange Tiny Terror wins thread.
If not, Peavey Classic 30 used..

both AMAZING classic rock amps
they can pull metal or blues if you want em to ;D
guys the threadstarter has just gotten his first electric here. getting a small tube amp isn't very logical, he still has a lot to learn about effects and different tones.\

which is why he should go with decent sounding modeling amps.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
guys the threadstarter has just gotten his first electric here. getting a small tube amp isn't very logical, he still has a lot to learn about effects and different tones.\

+1

TS may i suggest a peavey vypyr 30 or a roland cube 30x
feel free to add me
Quote by UnsignedRecords

Good point (and this is coming from someone who recommended the Tiny Terror).

Yep, the Tiny Terror is something that he should aspire to own sometime down the the road.

In the meantime, the OP is much better off getting one of the following:

A) Roland MicroCube. Get this if you want to spend about $115 on a small but very transportable practice amp with a bunch of cool effects. Don't get the larger Cube 30 or the VOX DA-5 as these don't offer much more than the MicroCube except larger speakers and less portability.

B) VOX ValveTronix VT30. This is an awesome modeling amp with a 12AX7 tube for the pre-amp. Get this if you want more punch than the MicroCube along with better effects and the warmth of a tube-based pre-amp.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
i run my Gibson SG through a Traynor YCV40 that i got used for $350 and i love it. and to get a metal sound buy the metal muff
GEAR:
Gibson SG
Traynor YCV40T
Digitech Grunge
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Korg pitchblack pedal tuner
EXH Metal Muff
Sennheiser wireless system
Gear soon gettin:
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
Boss ce-2
Quote by Guns-N-Roses94
Get a Marshall and test it before....

Marschall are always best amps, and the prices are O.K.
All Gibson / Epiphone Models fit perfectly with Marshall Amps.

Buy one ;D

gtfo
Quote by UnsignedRecords

emphatic +1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by UnsignedRecords

disagree

i'd suggest a small tube combo which will last him years and a multi effects for the learning part, then when he's ready, upgrade to single stomp boxes and have a great setup with one amp purchase
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
disagree

i'd suggest a small tube combo which will last him years and a multi effects for the learning part, then when he's ready, upgrade to single stomp boxes and have a great setup with one amp purchase

yeah that could work too, just didn't see or think of that. it could go either way, just a modeler would be more in budget for now and upgrade later. but more saving would do good for your suggestion yeah.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords

I disagree as well. He will spend more time screwing with it trying to find his tone then he will playing. The Blackheart Handsome Devil is right up his alley. 7/15w can be played loud and quiet, clean and distorted. Takes pedals well and easy as hell to use and well constructed. I have not had a single issue with mine.
Quote by Sin City Sid
I disagree as well. He will spend more time screwing with it trying to find his tone then he will playing. The Blackheart Handsome Devil is right up his alley. 7/15w can be played loud and quiet, clean and distorted. Takes pedals well and easy as hell to use and well constructed. I have not had a single issue with mine.

from my experience, i would much rather have a little ss practice amp than a valve junior + pedal when i first started.

i first got a little crate amp with some effects on it, a clean channel and a dist channel with a gain knob. definitely spent more time playing than looking for good tone which i was completely unaware of.

i'm just putting myself in the ts' shoes, and remember what it was like when i first started.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

actually a VT or something might be good. i know i thought my small SS modeler sounded the **** for the first few years, then i realised what tone i was after and got a decent resale value.

all round then
Quote by Sin City Sid

Do you really want this kid to end up like all the kids on UG who spend more time fiddling with their tubes and boutique overdrive pedals than learning to play and can barely coax a note from the guitar?

Tone is the last thing you need to worry about when you're a beginner. You just need something that makes a noise, won't cover up your mistakes with a wall of fuzzy, mushy distortion and perhaps has some cool effects to play with if you feel like it.

Based on that I'll +1 any of the Vox Valvetronix recommendations. I'll also give a big -1 to the microcube suggestion, they're dreadful.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
If you want an SG to have the classic sound, like Beck, Townshend or Angus, the rule is simple. Put it through a Fender amp. (Yeah I know only Beck did that but we're talking sound not loudness) But a Twin will be expensive and for practice, you might as well save a few quid on a SS amp for now. A little 30w combo will be fine enough 'cos it takes a really bad amp to ruin the SG's sound. Then, in a year or two, when you need to play gigs, budget for a Fender amp. The little practice job will still be useful for many years.
Quote by Lurcher
If you want an SG to have the classic sound, like Beck, Townshend or Angus, the rule is simple. Put it through a Fender amp. (Yeah I know only Beck did that but we're talking sound not loudness) But a Twin will be expensive and for practice, you might as well save a few quid on a SS amp for now. A little 30w combo will be fine enough 'cos it takes a really bad amp to ruin the SG's sound. Then, in a year or two, when you need to play gigs, budget for a Fender amp. The little practice job will still be useful for many years.

you mean marshall amp (and a tube one at that)
Vox VT30, Roland cube 30x, or peavey vypyr, try them out and see what you like the best
i would say go for a peavey vypyr. Any model above 15w. Or you could go with the tube one
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
Quote by timi_hendrix
Do you really want this kid to end up like all the kids on UG who spend more time fiddling with their tubes and boutique overdrive pedals than learning to play and can barely coax a note from the guitar?

Tone is the last thing you need to worry about when you're a beginner. You just need something that makes a noise, won't cover up your mistakes with a wall of fuzzy, mushy distortion and perhaps has some cool effects to play with if you feel like it.

Based on that I'll +1 any of the Vox Valvetronix recommendations. I'll also give a big -1 to the microcube suggestion, they're dreadful.

Completely and totally disagree. . . Even as a beginner you still have ear for what you want to hear. And If you dont hear that, you will want to do something else. My first amp was a ****ty ss ibanez combo that everytime i picked a string made a "thumb" kinda sound. Really horrible, and made me constantly worry about my picking technique. All for nothing, as soon as I got a decent amp I found myself progressing so fast. I truly believe that good gear that lets you hear every detail in your playing and rewards you with tone that tickels every fibre in your body when you do something right, is the way to progress. If you have good gear you cant blame anything on the gear; you learn to focus on the right things; and fist and foremost you are so much more prone to enjoy practicing and playing if you are rewarded with great sound
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Quote by timi_hendrix

UnsignedRecords, I've been playing longer then you have been alive. I'm not a rookie. The TS has been playing two years, just not electric.

Timi, The Blackheart or simalar is what I stand by. Simple TMB with a vol and drive. Sounds good out of the gate and basically will play the tones he is looking for with a simple od pedal.
A used Laney AOR if you can find one. Mine goes great with my SG '61 Reissue.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Page 1 of 2