Hello all,
There's a song, Rotting by Green Day, and it has an Fm in it... I can't play a full bar chord, my fingers seem to always mute the string responsible for turning the F into an Fm... Is there a way to play a minor with a power chord instead? Maybe a trick to get my fingers working better?

Btw, I play Green Day songs because they're simple, and a lot of the older songs are actually really good...

Thanks,
Jim
You should consider keep practicing. Make this Fm shape, and find out what part of your fingers and hand are muting which string and adjust them, using your pick hand if necessary to move your fretting hand into position. Just keep doing it until your fingers are strengthened, and by that time it will just be engraved into your muscle memory.
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
You should consider keep practicing. Make this Fm shape, and find out what part of your fingers and hand are muting which string and adjust them, using your pick hand if necessary to move your fretting hand into position. Just keep doing it until your fingers are strengthened, and by that time it will just be engraved into your muscle memory.

do this
try barring up nd down all the frets and playing each note clean
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Since when does Green Day play full bar chords? My bet is that it's just some form of a power chord. Go with that.
Quote by Twist of fate
Thank god! For a sec I thought I lost my virginity to a stuffed animal christmas dog!

^ Do you know who that is? It's the guitar player from Fall Out Boy.
i roll my hand so that my finger is slightly side on - helps straighten it. Makes reaching 4 frets down hard though

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Also play the barre closer to the (actual metal) fret.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
For me I just kept playing the song & simply throwing my hand somewhere near the chord i wanted (for me it was F) & eventually i started to land the finger formation in the right order, & can now throw the same fingering anywhere on the neck. The neat thing about the "F" formation is that it is the same finger formation (albeit on diferent strings) for Bm unbarred at the 1st & it is "E" & you can slide it up/down the neck for ascending/decending chordal notes.

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
to learn barchors (E form) i started with power chords. and eventually barred whatever i needed to bar. the minors are incredibly easy. and in my opinion should be learnt before the majors. but Fm is hard to start with. trying the Am. its requires less pressure
keep practicing, roll ur finger, and build up stregnht and flexability. I had the same problems
-Jake Blackwood
Instead of having your index finger right on the 1st fret of the 6th string, try getting your index's knuckle right next to the 1st string.
Famous last words are for men who never said enough. - Anonymous
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Quote by jarryd2018
just practice, I used to suck at barre chords and now I love them.

It's basically what I dink around with while fingerpicking. People think you're a master, while in reality you're just doing basic chord progressions.
Try practicing on an acoustic. It really strengthens your fingers, and alot seems easier once you go back to an electric.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by jimmio92
Hello all,
There's a song, Rotting by Green Day, and it has an Fm in it... I can't play a full bar chord

Yes you can. You simply need to practice them. Sorry to seem rude, but that's really all there is to it.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!