Whats A good way to find key signatures for a song?

I have guitar pro, but most songs don'tt have key signatures. How do I work it out?

When I go on the scale finder on guitar pro, what bars shall I select from to see what key the song is in? Because sometimes lots of scales appear, and also, how do I know which scale it is in seeing as there are usually so many?

Please Help me, I need to know!
Last edited by SlayedInTheFace at Dec 27, 2008,
A song can't really be in "a scale" because there are always scales that look like others. That would be what the key signature is for, to tell you what scales would be appropriate to play.

The key signature in standard notation can be found next to the treble clef, I think guitar pro shows standard notation (which is sheet music)
Quote by Guitarfreak777
A song can't really be in "a scale" because there are always scales that look like others. That would be what the key signature is for, to tell you what scales would be appropriate to play.

The key signature in standard notation can be found next to the treble clef, I think guitar pro shows standard notation (which is sheet music)

Ah, I mean key. sorry, mixed up words.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Ah, I mean key. sorry, mixed up words.

Ah np

Anyhow, every song should have a key signature, and guitar pro should do it for you. You can figure it out yourself by looking at all the notes and see how many sharps/flats there and then pick the appropriate key signature with the matching number of sharps flats.
What chord does the song "resolve" on? Not necessarily the last chord.

That's pretty much how you can find the key of the song.

Key signatures, however, are just a notational device, and could be misleading if modal music is involved. If a song is in G mixolydian, is it written under "Key of G Major" or "Key of C Major"? I've seen it both ways, sometimes with "G mixolydian" written at the top to make it more clear.
Quote by one vision
What chord does the song "resolve" on? Not necessarily the last chord.

That's pretty much how you can find the key of the song.

Key signatures, however, are just a notational device, and could be misleading if modal music is involved. If a song is in G mixolydian, is it written under "Key of G Major" or "Key of C Major"? I've seen it both ways, sometimes with "G mixolydian" written at the top to make it more clear.

Actually, do you know of a good song that I could easily work out what chord it resolves on, for practice?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Ah np

Anyhow, every song should have a key signature, and guitar pro should do it for you. You can figure it out yourself by looking at all the notes and see how many sharps/flats there and then pick the appropriate key signature with the matching number of sharps flats.

But thats what I dont get. Do I look at all then otes in the the song or what?