Page 1 of 2
I've been playing on the same set of bass strings now for 2 1/2 years, and lots of frets are buzzing and its sounding like crap. It's not the bass lol. So I checked guitarcenter's site, and I see that they're like 20 bucks for a set of 4 strings. WHY?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
are they supposed to last a year? because then that's fine lol
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
i usually like to change my guitar strings like.....3 times a year
i dunno bout bass..............
but yea if u want GOOD stings u will be looking at at least 20 bucks
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
are they supposed to last a year? because then that's fine lol

They last as long as they sound good...if your really strapped for cash(i can dig it) try washing your hands before you play as the oils and salts on your hands can cause some corrosion of the metal
It's much more for a set of five... My strings are close to $100 here in Sweden...
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
bass strings cost more because they require far more material to make then guitar strings
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
hit up wal mart for a set of GHS bass string for $3.45 a set lol no joke
Gear
Jackson Dinky (Yeah)
Crate Flexwave 120 Head (Yeah)
Randall RX412 (Yeah)
Yeah, bass strings last about 45943598435689436598 times longer than guitar strings.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
It's kind of annoying that when you are strapped for cash you have to save up to buy a set but overall it's not too much. I need to replace mine actually, thanks for the reminder.
Quote by badhabit000
hit up wal mart for a set of GHS bass string for $3.45 a set lol no joke

thats beautiful when you're short on cash lol. Time to takea stroll to my local target.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
i replace strings on my guitar every three to four weeks on my guitar and those are about $5.50 a pop and when you add that up its almost $66 a year so you are lucked out...not only do you not have the annoyance of changing them 12 times a year, you get them for $46 less than i do
This is a G chord....i used to be in a cranberries tribute band.
Quote by Led Hed Lefty
i replace strings on my guitar every three to four weeks on my guitar and those are about $5.50 a pop and when you add that up its almost $66 a year so you are lucked out...not only do you not have the annoyance of changing them 12 times a year, you get them for $46 less than i do

Well, that depends. Bass strings have a tendency to sound just as dead as guitar strings after a month. My D'addario lasted for three weeks. At least they arent black as on my LTD...
But still, they sound rather dull.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
20$ is a great price, unless they're really cheap, then it's still a decent price, I usually have to pay between 35-40$ and I just buy d'addarios
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
On a rather related side note - are the Warwick red labels any good? They're the cheapest you can get, and I'm rather content if they last for up to three weeks....
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Quote by sashki
At least you don't play the cello.

Or the celtic harp.

actually, i do play cello lol , but I take strings from school so I never pay for those, I wouldn't know where to find cello strings. I understand that there's a lot more metal in bass strings, so I guess that accounts for the price, but it was a shock when I'm used to 7 buck gu itar strings to 20 buck bass strings at the minimum.

And to Lilldjuret, i dont know if they're good or not, but if they're cheap and you're happy with them lasting a month, then go for it.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Lilldjuret
On a rather related side note - are the Warwick red labels any good? They're the cheapest you can get, and I'm rather content if they last for up to three weeks....

They're alright for nickles, but the Black lables and the EMP are much better IMO, even if it is just for the stainless steel tone. Much brighter than nickels, and last longer.

I use EMP, and go 4 months between changes. However, by the end of it they sound quite dead, and the initial brightness goes in a couple of days. However, that brightness of almost new strings lasts for ages.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Lilldjuret

Google is your friend.

back on topic, its pretty obvious why they're more expensive, cuz they're ****en thick and longer than guitar strings maybe?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
$20 isnt that much, rotos are £25 in my local
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by gm jack
They're alright for nickles, but the Black lables and the EMP are much better IMO, even if it is just for the stainless steel tone. Much brighter than nickels, and last longer.

I use EMP, and go 4 months between changes. However, by the end of it they sound quite dead, and the initial brightness goes in a couple of days. However, that brightness of almost new strings lasts for ages.

Thanks. I'm thinking of importing a couple of sets, try different brands out. They don't carry the EMP, but I'll order a set of Black Labels and a pack of Rotosounds.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Quote by Lilldjuret
Thanks. I'm thinking of importing a couple of sets, try different brands out. They don't carry the EMP, but I'll order a set of Black Labels and a pack of Rotosounds.

try to get some stadium elites if you can
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
try to get some stadium elites if you can

They don't carry those either - at least not the right gauge. I'm quite picky when it comes to my gauge.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
I just bought three sets today. 2 four string sets and a 6 string set. with the 20 dollar tuner it came out to. almost 150usd. so that's 130 for the strings. about 43usd per set but the 6 string was much more expensive.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
My D'Addario 5-string set was $35 Canadian. Not so bad, since I don't change my strings very often. But, I have to buy acoustic bass strings, a pack of 4 strings, and double bass strings are about $100 a set. Thankfully I don't need to replace those for awhile yet :P
if you get actual gut double bass strings I don't believe they ever have to be changed.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Flatwound strings are even more expensive. My ghs flatwounds are $50.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Flatwound strings are even more expensive. My ghs flatwounds are $50.
wow!, My D'Addario XL Chrome flatwounds were only 30$
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
I just ordered 2 sets of Stadium Elites for £31.99. I am quite happy. Roto's run about 18 USD for a 4 string set and if I buy 2 sets, I get a discount at my local shop.

Flatwouds--I usually pay close to 30 USD for a set.

Keeping your hands and ergo your strings clean really extends their life, btw.
I pay $55 plus a 7% sales tax for a 5-string set of elixirs. $20 is NOT that much.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
At least you lot get to choose your make of strings. My MIA Jazz has a string thru body, which I see as my duty to use every time, meaning The only set of strings I've found that sound good on it are the ones it came with, Fender 8250s.

If anyone can find another set of strings with a taperwound E string, I'll be suprised.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
i really find it hard to say that bass strings last a year. Mine, by the first 3 months loses all the their punch and most of its tone. Which is about the same time i change my guitar strings.

Why they cost more??? Im guessing the reason is, their is less demand for them than guitar and since they cost much more material
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by outlaw metaler
bass strings cost more because they require far more material to make then guitar strings

Yeah, somewhat common sense. Our E string is nearly all guitar strings combined.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by froggyman
Anyone try the Dunlop Trujillo strings??

I've been wondering about those as well.

I payed $50 for Elixirs, yet I was only satisfied for about 2 weeks. I usually use Rotosound, but they don't seem to last that long, in my opinion.
Page 1 of 2