Hey guys.

So we are starting to rerecord one of our songs, which happens to be an instrumental. The original techniques we used to record the song made it sound very thin, and very weak. This time around, we were able to bring out some more awesome out of the song, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. We tried messing with different types of reverbs, volumes, so on and so forth, but we can't seem to find a good balance between all the tracks. The drums sound much improved from our last outing, and the guitar tones are much better, but the guitars just don't seem powerful enough. And don't even get me started on the bass.

Anyway, if you guys could perhaps take a look at the song and let us know what improvements we can make, and how we can go about it, it would be awesome.

The original full recording of the song and the new version can both be found here:

http://www.myspace.com/sundersspace

Struggles of Taste is just the "verse" of the song recorded the new way, and the old version is under struggles of man, in its original sound.

If you guys want me to host this up on a file website thinger, please tell me, in case you want to download it and look at the waveforms and what not. I don't know any websites where I can do so for free, so if you guys do just let me know I'll be sure to put them up in a jiff.

Thanks for all your help!!!
How are you capturing the guitars? ARe you DI'ing straight into the desk, or micing up an amp?
We are actually using a line6 toneport GX. We are basically plugging in directly to the computer and are using a Peavy software thing to make our tones. It's called ReValver MK III.
ah a PA band! im not far from you guys. if you want i can help you mix your band. check my profile for some of the stuff ive done. i think it sounds good! i can help take it next level!
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Last edited by hoondog at Dec 27, 2008,
You can only get up to a certain sound with home equipment and free software. Sooner or later, you're either going to have to upgrade, or go to a professional. I suggest going to the latter.

Your recording doesn't sound that bad. You're just lacking a lot of low end and the drums need to come up a bit.
Quote by acoustic_guy7
You can only get up to a certain sound with home equipment and free software. Sooner or later, you're either going to have to upgrade, or go to a professional. I suggest going to the latter.

Your recording doesn't sound that bad. You're just lacking a lot of low end and the drums need to come up a bit.

you do realize you can get professional equipment and put it in your home, then its home equipment right?

to the TS:

if you want a really good sound be prepared to spend money on it. for roughly the cost of recording an album in a "professional" studio you can get all the equipment you will need to record a professional sounding song at home. the only thing you'd need to know then is recording and mixing basics and some of the tricks.
Quote by z4twenny
you do realize you can get professional equipment and put it in your home, then its home equipment right?

to the TS:

if you want a really good sound be prepared to spend money on it. for roughly the cost of recording an album in a "professional" studio you can get all the equipment you will need to record a professional sounding song at home. the only thing you'd need to know then is recording and mixing basics and some of the tricks.

That's basically what I'm looking for. Just tips here and there to make our sound better than it is right now.
^ i'd really recommend the recording forums more so than the MT forums (theres one around here somewhere) also srsly, google is your friend. because of the way sound works not every song will be mixed the same way but there are some general guidelines to follow initially.
Quote by z4twenny
^ i'd really recommend the recording forums more so than the MT forums (theres one around here somewhere) also srsly, google is your friend. because of the way sound works not every song will be mixed the same way but there are some general guidelines to follow initially.

Thanks man, I appreciate your help.

Also thanks to everyone else!
Quote by z4twenny

to the TS:

Keyword "Free" software. Check out my post again before you come off as a smart-ass.
Quote by acoustic_guy7
Keyword "Free" software. Check out my post again before you come off as a smart-ass.

i didn't mention a single thing about software. i was referring to your "home equipment" response. the only difference between studio equipment and home equipment is where its kept. back up and check whats being said before you cop an attitude, thanks.
It needs more bass, and some compression/limiting would make the guitar and drums much more aggressive. I can take a shot at mastering it for you.
Quote by 20Tigers
Perhaps you will find this site of some use. It is by far the most comprehensive and useful guide to home recording I have ever come across. It covers EVERYTHING. TweakHedz Guide to Home Recording

I found that site on stumble once. It's pretty useful.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028