So i was asked to be in two bands and agreed to both, since i have plenty of time to spare. I will play bass in one and guitar in the other. The problem is i only have enough money for one amp. I have decided to get an acoustic b200 bass amp.

Now my Question is this: Will playing guitar through a bass amp sound bad? Will my tone be affected?
it will effect your tone, whether or not it sounds bad is down to preference, some people like it some people don't. you should ask this in the gear forum though and not the pit.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
It will sound fine. I used to play my guitar through a bass amp all the time when I was in a band. The bass player played his bass thru a peavy guitar amp head too. Don't know why we didn't switch. Of course I was playing an electric guitar with a duncan invader pick up through a boss gt-8 too...
In school, they told me, "Practice makes perfect". Then they said, "Nobody's perfect", so I quit practicing.
it is better than playing a bass through a guitar amp- that will most likely break your amp
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
i dunno what will happen but i know that josh homme from queens of the stone age plays guitar through an old ampeg base amp
Quote by BobChicken
it is better than playing a bass through a guitar amp- that will most likely break your amp

that really depends on what kind of speakers and cabinet you have. and the danger is still over exaggerated.

Last.fm
Quote by britishsligean
i dunno what will happen but i know that josh homme from queens of the stone age plays guitar through an old ampeg base amp

Explains why is tone is digusting.
Quote by boreamor

Ba-Zing!!!
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that really depends on what kind of speakers and cabinet you have. and the danger is still over exaggerated.

I've blown a 12 inch speaker from a small PA system at my school by playing a bass through it.

It wasn't even very loud. At a certain point, it just popped loudly and stopped working.

Just throwing that out there.
Just make sure you get some kind of distortion pedal. That is, unless you're gonna play clean stuff.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by boreamor

Sometimes the best tone is the worst tone. Sometimes
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by sashki
I've blown a 12 inch speaker from a small PA system at my school by playing a bass through it.

It wasn't even very loud. At a certain point, it just popped loudly and stopped working.

Just throwing that out there.

Not saying it can't happen, but usually if you are using well made speakers and a close backed cab it won't happen, unless you crank it.

Last.fm
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Sometimes the best tone is the worst tone. Sometimes

Unfortunately, that is the time. His tone was alright on songs like Little Sister, Go With The Flow and especially No One Knows. But on stuff like Sick Sick Sick it's... Well... Sick...
Quote by britishsligean

He used a bass amp when he was in Kyuss, but he's tight-lipped on the gear he uses now, so no one is actually sure if he still uses a bass amp with the Queens.

And for the people who just bashed Josh for his tone, it sounded totally different with Kyuss, when we know he used a bass amp, than modern QOTSA. I assume you guys are thinking about Era Vulgaris, but that album is an acquired taste.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Lots of Country artists use bass amps for the nice clean sound, I've found my small practice amp gives a lovely tone for a guitar too.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by boreamor
To the Guitar Gear & Accessories forum!

to the Idiotmobile!
It'll give a great, warm, clean tone but you'll probably want an od or distortion pedal to go along with it.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
It works fine, and is definitely much better then a bass through a guitar amp.
Go for it. Josh Homme uses one and his tone is brilliant.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
for all the people saying things about a bass being bad through a guitar amp ive never really had any trouble with it
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by reedplaysgeetar
for all the people saying things about a bass being bad through a guitar amp ive never really had any trouble with it

Same here. It was a cheap P-Bass knock-off.

I already messed up my amp a bit by playing with only the bass knob on full and the extra scoop button thing on, in Drop A, on my electric guitar. So, there.
i doo it all da time and it works fie as long as u got a decent EQ pedal or such
-Jake Blackwood
Quote by reedplaysgeetar

it can rip your speaker under certain circumstances.

Last.fm