Ok, so I downloaded ubuntu 8.10, exact version is: ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.
When I do the hash check comparing the md5 from my ubuntu to the one on the ubuntu website they do not match.
(Site I'm using -> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes)

My md5 hash
D5ED53E6B01EEECC87302298028B2A06
hash on the website
f9cdb7e9ad85263dde17f8fc81a6305b

as you can tell, they're completely different, and my hash shows up nowhere on the internet...what do I do?
Should I just install it anyways?
███████████████████████████████████
somebody say hash? Seriously, what exactly are you looking for? I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 now. It works great
Quote by n2dabloo
somebody say hash? Seriously, what exactly are you looking for? I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 now. It works great

I'm dual booting ubuntu and to do that you have to make a cd with the ubuntu iso on it.
whenever you make a system/os cd it's recommended that you do a md5 hash check to ensure there are no errors in the iso, because I'm sure you can imagine what would happen if you had an error on your OS...
anyways, my hash doesn't seem to be in the list at all.
does anyone know?
if you're really paranoid: redownload it

if you're a gambler: install it and hope for the best :S
You could just burn the CD and check it before installing it. There's an option on the LiveCD.
Quote by seljer
if you're really paranoid: redownload it

if you're a gambler: install it and hope for the best :S

This.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yeah theres a good chance your ISO is slightly screwed up, or they haven't updated the site properly. You could Re DL it or boot from the CD and see what happens.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
after I burned my iso disc and went to do the install, I noticed it has a disc check option to run before you do the install. That did it for me. If you are downloading from the main site, or a listed mirror site, trust it dude
I think I'm going to just do it.
I have a new computer with a warranty from best buy, if it fucks up I'll just bring it in.
Cause, I downloaded it right from the legit website.
Quote by tona_107
I think I'm going to just do it.
I have a new computer with a warranty from best buy, if it fucks up I'll just bring it in.
Cause, I downloaded it right from the legit website.

just boot from the CD and see if it works first. If it messes up all you have to do is restart, installing a third party OS is likely to void your warranty.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
just boot from the CD and see if it works first. If it messes up all you have to do is restart, installing a third party OS is likely to void your warranty.

This and, to be honest, if you don't know how to re-install an OS on a machine that's bricked then you probably shouldn't be doing it on a working machine anyway...

In My Opinion, of course.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If the computer is new, then you don't have anything you'll have to save. The if it all ****s up then just reinstall windows and try to find out what went wrong. Just call wherever you bought the computer from and say you would require a system disc so you can reinstall the software (windows) which you purchased from them.
Yeah it didn't even work lol the iso must have been messed up.
I'm redownloading I'll see how that goes I guess.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
This and, to be honest, if you don't know how to re-install an OS on a machine that's bricked then you probably shouldn't be doing it on a working machine anyway...

In My Opinion, of course.

I've reinstalled windows many times, I've never dealt with linux before.