Hello,
I am looking to buy a bass. I am confused as to the differences between acoustic, electric, and fret-less basses(both acoustic and electric). I understand there is a learning curve and a different tone coming from each type of bass, but I am unsure as to what will fit me best. I know that the best option would most likely be to go to Guitar Center and try for myself, but I would like to know where to start. Can somebody describe the differences to me please?

I have searched the threads around this site thoroughly and could not find answers to my question, but apologies if a thread like this has already been posted. Thank You for any responses to my issue in advance.
For most any case the electric fretted would be the best to start with. you could do acoustic fretted but that would be a very outside the box choice. fretless has a much more difficult learning curve as you have to put your finger in exactly the right place otherwise you'll be out of tune.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
For most any case the electric fretted would be the best to start with. you could do acoustic fretted but that would be a very outside the box choice. fretless has a much more difficult learning curve as you have to put your finger in exactly the right place otherwise you'll be out of tune.

+1
Quote by 2112pk
thank you for stoping this RIDICULOUS argument.
and standing on the side of truth.
but your princess is in another castle
im no bass expert but...
fretless is just a bass without frets, harder to play and learn on, can't remember the difference in tone
electric bass is like an electric guitar, only bass, flexible tone depending on the amp and guitar
acoustic is good for accompanying acoustic guitars with a nice well rounded tone

most people start with a fretted electric which is easiest to learn on
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
"you could do acoustic fretted but that would be a very outside the box choice"

Do you mean it would be harder to learn than electric fretted basses or are you just stating that it would be a strange decision?
most people don't get acoustic basses because you have to pay a lot more for them to not sound like farts

the frets of a bass are the strips of metal wire that run parallel to each other and perpendicular to the strings; if you have them you don't have to worry about intonation (as long as your bass is set up well), like you would with a fretless.

if you go to guitar center they'll could recommend you some popular choices for starting basses, pretty much all of which will be fretted electric

and don't forget to get an amp
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton
most people don't get acoustic basses because you have to pay a lot more for them to not sound like farts

the frets of a bass are the strips of metal wire that run parallel to each other and perpendicular to the strings; if you have them you don't have to worry about intonation (as long as your bass is set up well), like you would with a fretless.

if you go to guitar center they'll could recommend you some popular choices for starting basses, pretty much all of which will be fretted electric

and don't forget to get an amp

I have a keyboard amplifier. Would that be sufficient enough? I have heard that keyboard amps work well for both bass and guitar.