So my first 7 string arrived today.I plugged it in and noticed that the top string is really muddy,even in standard tuning.Anyone with experience on 7 strings know what could be causing this? The bridge pickup is a Duncan invader and I heard that this pup can get really muddy so I thought that might be the issue.The note clarity on the normal 6 strings is fine,it's just the 7th that's having issues.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
So my first 7 string arrived today.I plugged it in and noticed that the top string is really muddy,even in standard tuning.Anyone with experience on 7 strings know what could be causing this? The bridge pickup is a Duncan invader and I heard that this pup can get really muddy so I thought that might be the issue.The note clarity on the normal 6 strings is fine,it's just the 7th that's having issues.

That might be it. What guitar?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
That might be it. What guitar?

Fernandes revolver pro 7.I bought it in near mint condition off a buddy for 100 bucks and he had replaced the stock pup with an invader.I figured why not? If it sucks then I can part it out and get my money back pretty easily.It's a great feeling guitar but it's just the muddy 7th that annoys me.Maybe it has something to do with my amp settings?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by telemetal
could you be using too much gain, perhaps?

I thought that might be it but it even flops out on the clean channel.I'm going to try replacing the strings with a new heavier gauge and tweaking my amp and EQ settings,if that doesn't work then I guess I'll just rip the invader out for a 7 string active or a d-sonic.

Adjust the pickup height at the bass end.

Try that first.
Then EQ.

Then new pickup (I'd go for and EMG-707)
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Adjust the pickup height at the bass end.

Try that first.
Then EQ.

Then new pickup (I'd go for and EMG-707)

If he puts an EMG there he won't be able to put a passive back on without some help (a special pickup ring, or something like that).
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I'm not sure how it works with 7-strings, but I can keep passives in an EMG routed guitar. The pickup rings are the same, the routing is just different.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
EQ cut at say 120-130 on your amp if you have a bandEQ, or back off the bass on a 3 knob. I can't guarantee, but i think the low B on a 7 string is in that range.
Uhm... Get a clearer pickup? Dimarzio makes great 7-string pickups, like the D Activator and D Sonic.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Justice4AllOne
I'm not sure how it works with 7-strings, but I can keep passives in an EMG routed guitar. The pickup rings are the same, the routing is just different.

EMGs are wider than normal 7-string passive pickups.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
get a bareknuckle pickup
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by spoonylove90

im not left handed i just have a mac btw.

Quote by NaivexLi
Yes...I named my penis Darth Vader.
Quote by pacoasterrider
EQ cut at say 120-130 on your amp if you have a bandEQ, or back off the bass on a 3 knob. I can't guarantee, but i think the low B on a 7 string is in that range.

Bass is already cut with mids boosted and some treble cut (since my amp is very treb heavy), my pedal is set in a "reverse V" pattern going from low to high and my amps EQ is similar.I messed around with my EQ for a while and still had the same problems.

I'll most likely just replace the invader since I'm not liking the sound of it.If it was just the 7th string that sounded meh then I'd work around that,but the more I play on it the more I notice all the strings are lacking IMO.I'll most likely get the 7 string version of the D-sonic since in my experience it tightens and focuses the low end more and doesn't **** out with lower tunings.

I think I'll just throw the invader on Ebay or something and use that to fund the new pup,usually I love Duncan pickups but this one is pretty disappointing.

That's a good plan man, the invader is failure in a pickup. I really recommend a D-Activator for clarity and no muddiness on a 7 string, I love mine in my Xiphos, because I'm a passive pickup kinda guy and actives just aren't for me.
May I ask which guitar you were playing though? Obviously something customized considering there aren't any production 7's out there with an Invader (for a damn good reason).
Quote by bowen
That's a good plan man, the invader is failure in a pickup. I really recommend a D-Activator for clarity and no muddiness on a 7 string, I love mine in my Xiphos, because I'm a passive pickup kinda guy and actives just aren't for me.
May I ask which guitar you were playing though? Obviously something customized considering there aren't any production 7's out there with an Invader (for a damn good reason).

It's an older Fernandes model,the revolver pro 7 I believe.It was offered to me for 100 dollars in great condition,the only flaws I could find were a couple tiny chips in the finish near one of the strap buttons.I was considering a bareknuckle pup for a while but something about paying more for the bridge pup than I did for the entire guitar seemed kinda odd to me.

Now about the D-Activators,I heard that they're kinda sterile and lifeless but I don't know if that is true since I haven't had the chance to use them yet.That lifeless feeling is the big reason as to why I avoid actives,I like high output,but I also need a round and organic tone to my pups.

I recommend the first thing to try would be your EQ, mainly because you havent played a 7 before it will take a while to adjust your tone in accordance with a lower note. Then if that still doesnt make it listenable, try it again.....to be honest 99% of your problem will come straight from the amp.

The invader is renonwed for being a muddy pickup, but i have heard it sounding amazing in the right setup. That should really be the last thing to consider when trying to sort out your tone problem, just keep playing around with it, a pickup swap is only recommended when your either have realllllllyyyyy **** stocks or your have got as good of a sound as you can manage with what you have. Hence upgrading will only compliment it more.

IMO