Well, I just got a spider valve 212 and a zakk epi. Since MF is having a sale today I need help deciding if I should buy the active 81/85 set.

Good idea? should I look at other pups? or would the purchase be a waste?
the pickups on your guitar are fine but i personally hate the zakk wylde sig guitars you should have just bought a schecter
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Your setup should be fine. Unless you're unhappy about the tone you're getting.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Keep your money and buy a new amp, damn you!
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by willyman101
Keep your money and buy a new amp, damn you!

There is nothing wrong with those amplifiers, though I agree you will not likely notice a huge tonal difference anyway.
Well what kind of sound are you trying to get out of it?

Sick guitars btw. I hope you got the cream/black bullseye, the rest of em are ugly as ****.
But that one is pretty awesome.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

A Spider and EMG's, urgh that is not my idea of tone
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
the pickups on your guitar are fine but i personally hate the zakk wylde sig guitars you should have just bought a schecter

Because you hate them, he should have bought something else? That makes NO sense at all.

I have both a Schecter and a Zakk Wylde Epi, they're both nice guitars. The Epi takes a bit of tweaking, but it's still great to play. The EMG 81/85 set should do it good, but don't bother with it if you have an SS amp. If you're playing through a tube amp though, go for it.
People... a Spider Valve is NOT SOLID STATE. C'mon, put your spider hate aside a moment and read the original post. It may not adapt the best to pickups, but they are not crap amplifiers.
Well, I got both the epi (pawn shop) and the amp (ebay) for $800.oo. As far as the spider valve goes, it is teh sheet, especially since I dont have any other effects pedals but I have a line 6 longboard I got for $50.oo (pawn) last december.

The modeling can be bypassed and used just like any other tube. right?
Last edited by DILtron3000 at Dec 27, 2008,
Quote by mcraddict81592
Well what kind of sound are you trying to get out of it?

Sick guitars btw. I hope you got the cream/black bullseye, the rest of em are ugly as ****.
But that one is pretty awesome.

Yes, its the cream/black. Now I have a Jackson KE3 desert camo I wont be needing if anyone is interested.

I want a coheed sound but also need it to clean up for 311 and blues for zztop
Quote by sharpant

Spider Valve's aren't that bad, much better than the standard Spider modelling amps.
Quote by CJRocker
People... a Spider Valve is NOT SOLID STATE. C'mon, put your spider hate aside a moment and read the original post. It may not adapt the best to pickups, but they are not crap amplifiers.

Most solid states are crap. I think that the spiders are crap... not sure of the Valves though... Also, you may have heard before "only get new pickups to make a good tone better." If you like your tone, get the upgrade, if you tone sucks (and you know it's not the guitar) get a new amp.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Yeah, it sounds frakin tight. Just in the spending mood. Suppose I could get a graphtech bridge and nut kit instead.

Heard they are worth the $100.oo, anyone know for sure?

The spider III is no where near the valve. Completely different animals and the valve's sound is a lot more organic, even when using some of the crappiest of the effects.
Quote by CJRocker

Hell, I noticed a difference with better pups in my guitar through my Pod XT Live, not just a tube amp.

Quote by darrenjables
Most solid states are crap. I think that the spiders are crap... not sure of the Valves though...

durr hurr hurr I've never tried something but I have strong opinions about it listen to me!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Alot of people on here say 'all guitars sound the same with EMG 81/85's and all guitars sound the same through a line 6'. Im guessing having both would make it even more .. um.. digital I suppose.

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading from passive to active pickups and playing a line 6? Just wondering if anyone noticed a huge difference and were glad to go active.
It's not a solid state you idiots, in fact those amps are pretty decent.

I'm not sure you would still hear the difference, but that all depends on your ears. I couldnt tell the difference between pickups for the first few months i played guitar.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Get 81/85 and 18v em. only way to go.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
I have a guitar with EMG 81/85's in it and recently sold my spider amp so how stupid do you feel now EXO?

Assumptions are usually a source of FAIL.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by DILtron3000
Alot of people on here say 'all guitars sound the same with EMG 81/85's and all guitars sound the same through a line 6'. Im guessing having both would make it even more .. um.. digital I suppose.

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading from passive to active pickups and playing a line 6? Just wondering if anyone noticed a huge difference and were glad to go active.

the EMG thing isn't true atall.

and the spider thing is, but this ONLY applies to the solid state ones, The valves are fine.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Having played EMG, Dimarzios and Bareknuckle pickups EMG's are certainly the ones i favor the least by a long shot.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by l3p4rd
the EMG thing isn't true atall.

and the spider thing is, but this ONLY applies to the solid state ones, The valves are fine.

Yeah, I couldn't believe how much better the 212 valve was than my spider II the first time I played one.

I doubt that I could have gotten a better amp fr $415.oo. If I were to pay retail, I would have tried to look for something better.

The MF sale is off now but eBay is having a sale today. I have a washburn rs-10v with a SD alnico II and SD JB that I like a lot as it is miT Mahoneys setup (or was) but they are not really metal.

Wondering if there is a better metal pickup set than the EMGs. Any ideas?

Also, if anyone wants to buy any of the gear listed on my profile, please let me know and make an offer.
look into Dimarzios and Bareknuckles they both have very helpful sites which advise you on what pickup to get to suit your sound, you can e-mail Tim too (guy who makes the bareknuckles by hand)

You'd be best to do it now whilst the £ is so weak.

Look into

Warpig
Miracle Man
Nailbomb

and in the neck position cold sweat
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12