Is it very hard to make one? I'm interested in the looks of one, and I'm thinking of taking the neck off of my Johnson Strat and making it into a Cigar Box guitar. The Johnson cost me about 80 bucks with a pack in about '99, so i'm not worried about messing it up, it just lays arond unplayed now anyways...
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
there was an article in guitar and bass magazine a few months back about making one. i didn't make one, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got one in my profile. Not real difficult depending on what you want. Make sure thsat the cigar box is big enough to allow for intonation. If you have got questions let me know.
if you wanna make a cigar box guitar take a look at some Bo Diddley models, he made a guitar out of a cigar box one point in his life....and I dont think it would be that hard. just need to position the neck correctly, take mesurements off another guitar and try to use that as a control.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Thanks. Is it better to just use my existing neck, or should I attempt to make my own?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Quote by justnmcknz
Thanks. Is it better to just use my existing neck, or should I attempt to make my own?

well to be honest you got me interested in the whole cigar box aspect so you got me to wanna try and make one.....what im using is an Ibanez neck and graft it on the box differently than what the site shows.... if your gonna use the exsiting neck you have your going to have to get some extra peices of wood and use some woodshop technique into it..... i saw that most of the cigar box guitars are either 4 or 5 string..i havent found one that is 6 string....you might have to talk to some carpenters to figure out how to use the neck you have
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Hmm... This is going to be quite challenging... I'm not making mine strictly for slide guitar. I've seen 6 string versions on youtube, all they did was take a neck and put it on (I'm sure their's more to it than that though.)
well they might of taken the neck stuck it to the side and shoved 4-5 in screws into it from inside the box
D*** that boy loves his blues.... yeah i see how he did it..he just cut out the top of the box and the siding then bolted it on just like if he was bolting it on to a guitar body
Ive noticed on some videos that people cut holes in theirs. Does anyone know if this will make it sound louder acoustically?
Quote by Dave_Mc
there was an article in guitar and bass magazine a few months back about making one. i didn't make one, though.

I remeber that article I was going to make one but then I realised I had no money and I couldn't be bothered.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
I've built a couple of electric cigar box guitars. You can see them at Keep Music Alive.com search for cigar box guitars. I'll try to get my picture files small enough to post here.
My construction system is based on a wooden spine inside the box that the neck, tailpiece and box are attached to. Spacer blocks are required to allow for pickup room.
Get a good neck, this is where most of the cost is. I've used toploading hardtail tailpieces and archtop type tailpieces to hold the strings. I use a genuine GM brake shoe inside the box to counterweight the guitar so it feels ballanced when you hold it.
It's all in the setup, they play as good as you can set it up. Mine play as well as my Gibson. You just have to get used to an guitar that's short and light. I use a guitar strap to keep it in place. They're a blast.
My guitars have been played onstage, and sound great. Acoustically there no good, but I didn't build mine to be played unplugged.
Go for it.
Quote by Mikeyw1233
I remeber that article I was going to make one but then I realised I had no money and I couldn't be bothered.

same here
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here's pictures of two of my CBG's. Something like this?
One thing to remember is to use good shielded wiring. Some of my friends like a GBG I built that has a $10.00 pickup in it over one with a $100.00 Seymore Duncan pickup, so quality counts, but each beast will be like no other.
These projects aren't as complicated as a true lutherian build, but they can be great for starter builds. They also have their own unique challenges too.
I just like to see other peoples eyes when they look at the things. Then watch when they play them.
Attachments:
Cigar Box Guitar 2.jpg
Cigar Box Guitar 1.jpg