I really need help. I know that guitar and bass are u know like the same shape and **** blah blah blah. But like i've only played guitar and my band really needs a bassist so my band and i wanted me to try. Can u guys give me some advice that would really help me out in adjusting. The two songs that have bass in it are I'm Alright by Neil Zaza and Californication by RHCP. So please help me
they are different instruments completely. your job is to hold a rhythm, like a drummer, but with notes instead of percussive beating.

keep that in mind.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If you play guitar it's dead easy to pick up and play to a standard level.
Quote by Skigger
If you play guitar it's dead easy to pick up and play to a standard level.

no, it's easy to play and sound like a rejected guitarist, which is not TS's plan at all.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

get some books/videos and start learning. there are tons of lessons on youtube.
just remember you are the link between rhythm and melody. you have to think like a drummer and play like a guitarist but not too extreme either way.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
haha damn this is gonna be somewhat harder than i thought. Ive only got under a month till my schools battle of the band.
Quote by polloboyman
haha damn this is gonna be somewhat harder than i thought. Ive only got under a month till my schools battle of the band.

grab a hand drum, and play it for a few minutes before you practice, it will really help.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

They have a lot of bass lessons online you could probably google/youtube some stuff. And yeah I agree- guitar and bass are different in the aspects of a band. You're the rhythm section now- you make the people move. It's a big responsibility.
as a thought, don't be too disillusioned.

with a drummer beside your funky bass riffs, you make the pretty ladies swing their hips. as a guitarist, you hoped to make a nerdy kid air guitar to your solo.

ladies dancing>some weirdo

EDIT: if you are Tam or Miss G, you make the cute guys dance.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Dec 27, 2008,
To paraphrase Humanity you are the force that makes the booty shake.

The hardest thing for ex-guitarist in playing bass in maintaining consistent and in the pocket rhythm. Get a metronome and never, ever, ever practice outside of the band without one, even if you are running scales. Learn to listen and lock with your drummers bass drum. 95% of the time, you will play a note when they do.

Humanity's advice about a hand drum is solid. I've been plowing through some of the more complicated Primus and funk songs and many times the way I can get the rhythm and phrasing down is by tapping it out on a hand drum first and then moving that groove to a bass.
You tube is actually a good place to start, lots of good free lessons on there. also keep in mind that Californication is not that easy of a bassline, so work hard, you can do it
I actually found it quite easy to make the switch from guitar to bass, mind you I was playing classical guitar with my fingers and I also play drums.

But to emphasize, bass and guitar are completely different instruments and it will take quite a bit of practice to become proficent at bass. That being said, you already have a jump start with at least some knowledge of the fretboard.

Good luck