i want to get my band to play a rush song and most of the songs i told them about didn't like so can anyone help me out? does anyone an infamous track for rush that sounds good and has a sweet basslines?

p.s we have already done yyz
Last edited by puskus54 at Dec 27, 2008,
I've heard good things about Tom Sawyer.

can't stand the band myself however.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
what songs have you suggested?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
check out the snakes and arrows cd(not the live version)

Malignant Narcissism has a pretty cool bass line in it
Tom Sawyer is awesome, Spirit of the Radio isnt too bad. Im sure theres better, Im not too big a Rush fan.
if the rest of your band isnt into the rush sound, suggest "working man". it really has a different style. it sounds almost black sabbath-ish. other than that, fly by night is good. limelight is pretty overplayed.... and so is tom sawyer, but they are still good stuff. spirit of radio is a good song too. most of these are identifiable as rush, which is good for covers. y'know... something everybody has heard of before, or have heard something like it.
My Main Gear

guitars
gibson sg special faded
Fender Stratocaster (turning it into the black strat relic!)
cort stat 2t
ventura (ibanez artcore lawsuit era copy)
'74 alvarez acoustic

amps
peavy transtube express 112
Quote by the humanity
I've heard good things about Tom Sawyer.

can't stand the band myself however.

u will probably get along with my band mates very well they all hate rush it took me along time to persuade them to play yyz and it's an amazing track, btw they didn't like tom sawyer
Quote by sg dude 38
if the rest of your band isnt into the rush sound, suggest "working man". it really has a different style. it sounds almost black sabbath-ish. other than that, fly by night is good. limelight is pretty overplayed.... and so is tom sawyer, but they are still good stuff. spirit of radio is a good song too. most of these are identifiable as rush, which is good for covers. y'know... something everybody has heard of before, or have heard something like it.

i have all suggested all of those tracks and they hated them all
my favorites are working man and tom sawyer.

but try the 2112 overture, its sweeeeet

80th best UGer
Quote by mustangrobert13
my favorites are working man and tom sawyer.

but try the 2112 overture, its sweeeeet

I don't think any other drummer can play 2112
I'm Luke.
Quote by Datrooper
Tom sawyer, sounds great, did they say no to yyz?

his band already did it

anyways, good Rush songs to cover, Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, Limelight. Probably the best would be Freewill, love the song, sounds cool, and has some nice bass licks in there so probably give that a try.
If they dont like them why are you trying to force them to cover their songs?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Thurman91
his band already did it

anyways, good Rush songs to cover, Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, Limelight. Probably the best would be Freewill, love the song, sounds cool, and has some nice bass licks in there so probably give that a try.

Pretty much any rush song you pick, its gonna be hard to go wrong
I'm Luke.
Quote by Datrooper
Tom sawyer, sounds great, did they say no to yyz?

well, at first they said no to yyz but since it took me forever to play it right i was like we play this song or i quite u know so they came around
nobody can dislike spirit of radio
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Passage To Bangkok, Vital Signs. Great songs.
Also, Distant Early Warning, The Big Money
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Quote by puskus54
well, at first they said no to yyz but since it took me forever to play it right i was like we play this song or i quite u know so they came around

Kudos for liking Rush, but threatening your band like that is just immature and stupid.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Thurman91
his band already did it

This!
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I'm gonna suggest Far Cry from Snakes and Arrows. It seems like a cool song to cover and it would be something a bit different that shouldnt be over-covered by other bands. That's just me though...
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by Nikki197666
Kudos for liking Rush, but threatening your band like that is just immature and stupid.

well they cover pantera all the time and i really dislike that band and they know that
wouldnt you rather cover something you all like?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by puskus54
i have all suggested all of those tracks and they hated them all

do not make your band play songs they hate. if they tell you no, just say ok. you got one Rush song because they hoped it make you shut up. if you don't shut up, they probably won't let you do it. if you do, you might get away with something you wouldn't have later.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Bastille day rocks
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Roll The Bones, get someone to rap the middle.

Stick it Out is a fairly do-able song, it's pretty straightforward rock song, I don't think there's any synths either. Great bass too

Failing these two get some bells and play Closer to The Heart.
I only like the instrumentals, YYZ or La Villa would be good. (if you have a good drummer and if YOU and your guitarist can play them)
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 28, 2008,
Quote by puskus54
well they cover pantera all the time and i really dislike that band and they know that

If they are covering Pantera frequenty (Sweet!) then it is obvious they are traveling on a different wavelength to you. Either change to suit them or find another band.

Sorry for not having any constructive and on topic talk, but I just don't listen to enough Rush to find songs that haven't already been mentioned
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.