Page 1 of 2
okay, okay, okay...I was looking at Dimebag Darrell's Guitargeek Rig Sheet (as-of 2000 which means Washburn 333/Randall Warhead) & it says that the Axes he was using were a Washburn 333, Washburn Stealth & a Washburn Culprit...& under Note for both the Stealth & the Culprit it says "Drop-D Tuning"...& That's no problem, I know what Drop-D is... BUT under note for the Washburn 333 it says "Tuned Down 1/4-Step"...okay, now I use a Boss TU-12 Chromatic Tuner & My Father uses a Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner Pedal....so those are the two tuners I have at my Disposal okay...but how the hell do you tune down 1/4 Step?!?
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
go inbetween standard and half step down.

although i think that is a typo, why would anyone (especially someone like dimebag), use a tuning like 1/4 step down?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Some bands occasionally do, and it's a bitch to tune to correctly. The only other thing I can think of that uses is is E pro by Beck but I'm sure there are many more.
Quote by aradine
go inbetween standard and half step down.

although i think that is a typo, why would anyone (especially someone like dimebag), use a tuning like 1/4 step down?

the album Pyromania by Def Leppard was tuned a 1/4 step down.
lol thats his dime tuning, e.g. the song "walk" is in d standard, but 1/4 higher
Ride the Lightning is also a half step sharp. Those tunings happen more by accident though, I don't think many people intentionally tune that way when writing songs.
its actually tuned to 437Hz standard instead of 440Hz

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?1859859
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
AC/DC use 1/4 step down tuning a lot.

The simplest but least accurate way is to tune to Standard then tune down until your tuner says you're halfway between tuning to Standard and tuning half a step down. A more accurate way but which requires your tuner to have certain functions is to tune to a different frequency rather than the usual 440 that Standard guitar tuning is to.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Dimebag tuned 1/4 step down on Cowboys From Hell. I saw Andy Aledort (of Guitar World) do a video playing some Dime songs and he talked about it.
Quote by CJRocker
Ride the Lightning is also a half step sharp. Those tunings happen more by accident though, I don't think many people intentionally tune that way when writing songs.

Actually, a lot of early metallica songs are tuned like that, but i don't know if that was intended.
Quote by Echoplex
Actually, a lot of early metallica songs are tuned like that, but i don't know if that was intended.

My understanding was the piano they tuned to was out of tune...
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I always figured that it was code for 'slightly out of tune'.

Yes and no; while it isn't a standard 12 tone tuning, all the instruments are in tune with each other so it's not really "out of tune" per se.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
uhh

y?

People with perfect pitch would go nanners if they had to listen to it lol...
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by MrFlibble
AC/DC use 1/4 step down tuning a lot.

The simplest but least accurate way is to tune to Standard then tune down until your tuner says you're halfway between tuning to Standard and tuning half a step down. A more accurate way but which requires your tuner to have certain functions is to tune to a different frequency rather than the usual 440 that Standard guitar tuning is to.

i think with AC/DC thats more angus and malcolm forgetting to tune their guitars lol
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by Echoplex

I once heard a rumour that on some of the early metallica stuff if they weren't happy with the speed rather than re-record they would just speed the tape up a little, I have no idea if that is legit though.
Quote by Waylanderau
I once heard a rumour that on some of the early metallica stuff if they weren't happy with the speed rather than re-record they would just speed the tape up a little, I have no idea if that is legit though.

A lot of bands also do this to help the vocalist out.
Quote by Waylanderau

There's all kinds of rumors flying around about it. I heard that FWTBT is tuned up to match the pitch of the bell at the beginning.

We'll never know if any of them are true though, unless we meet Metallica.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Echoplex
You can use a cent meter to tune down a quarter step. I think 50 cents is a 1/4 a step, but i'm not sure.

Naw, that's 2/4, to tune to 1/4 down you would end up tuning @ 437.5Hz That's like

l----------l----------l In the center on that it's standard tuning.
l--------l--l----------l Where the bold sign is, that's 1/4 down.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
yeah its probably more accurate to change the Hz of your tuner and just tune to the desired tuning. Jut figure out what that is, like most people said, probably around 437 instead of 440
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There's all kinds of rumors flying around about it. I heard that FWTBT is tuned up to match the pitch of the bell at the beginning.

We'll never know if any of them are true though, unless we meet Metallica.

for justice for all they tune up a quarter
Dimebag tuned to this on Cowboys, Vulgar, and Far Beyond Driven. He went down to C# on The Great Southern Trendkill, and then he tuned 1 and a 1/4 steps down for Reinventing the Steel.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
1:4 tone below 440 Hz is 427.5 Hz.

I think Dimebag actually tuned down 60 cents, or 425 Hz.
Quote by stratdud39
for justice for all they tune up a quarter

Not true, One is 1/4 step down.

Unless you just mean the song, which is actually in standard, as is To Live Is To Die.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
y do they do that?
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
Quote by davo_333
y do they do that?

No clue! Why do people tune to 440, for that matter? It's just a random number.
I think my head just exploded at the amount of technical jargon in this thread
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Dodeka
No clue! Why do people tune to 440, for that matter? It's just a random number.

Honestly i have no clue i just know Zakk Wylde said the only time he tunes to 440 is when he plays along with a piano....so maybe thats the frequency pianos are tuned to....
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
It's the frequency that piano's are tuned to. Like it was said earlier, sometimes, it makes it easier for the vocalist. They could do it just 2 mess with you while you're trying to play it since it won't sound quite right if you played it in standard tuning.
Quote by zakky_s
Honestly i have no clue i just know Zakk Wylde said the only time he tunes to 440 is when he plays along with a piano....so maybe thats the frequency pianos are tuned to....

Sometimes people say "440" to refer to standard guitar tuning, though I'd say most alternate tunings are still referenced from A 440 just the same. If you tune down a whole step with your tuner set to A 440, you're still in A 440.
Quote by JELIFISH19
It's the frequency that piano's are tuned to. Like it was said earlier, sometimes, it makes it easier for the vocalist. They could do it just 2 mess with you while you're trying to play it since it won't sound quite right if you played it in standard tuning.

Most pianos...nowadays.
I always thought that these 1/4 step up/down tunings were due to the recording...

eyeEDIT: i.e. the guitars were in standard when they recorded, but sound 1/4 up or down in the playback.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 7, 2009,
Metallica used to tune 1/2 step down and then speed up the master reel to a standard tuning. James has never been able to sing that high, the kick drums are high and tight, the cymbals are high as well and have a short ring time. Pro tools has obviously erased any need for those tricks in recent years. Lots of bands played with that. Zep did it a lot. Listen to the vocal line in No Quarter for example. Cheers
"Layla" was recorded in A440 but was change with recording speed. I guess as they just though it sounded better
Schecter Damien B2 FR
GuitarRig 2 and Sonar
Alesis Mk Monitors
The two first Megadeth albums are tuned down 1/4 step.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
The easiest thing for you to do is just to play the song on your stereo and tune your guitar to that.
Page 1 of 2