Page 1 of 2
Some guitar prices have not changed in years, car prices have gone down, home prices, is everyone suddenly playing guitar and sales have shot up? really now, I think some guitar prices and Amps should come down a little. I didn't have a issue of lowering the price down on picks and strings but the guitars, my friend says they wont lower the price. oh yeah, I'm not talking about the sales they have on 100 dollar guitars, lol.
LOL
prices on guitars are supposed to go up 15-25% here in australia, although i think that salesman was just trying to get me to buy something.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

The economy is depressing everyone, causing more and more EMO kids to purcase guitars, and their rich ass parents buy for them...

God Bless America.

Satan take emo's.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

I think ur logics alittle backwards here the only reason they dont go up is because people are still buying if the demand went down the prices are inversely related so the prices would gop up
The guitar market simply isn't suffering at the moment, not to mention that manufacturing prices have gone up. Gibson (and their sister brands like Epiphone and Kramer) are raising their RRPs between 12-26% (varying from country to country and model to model), most other brands are sticking with their current prices or raising them slightly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by master_ofmetal
I think ur logics alittle backwards here the only reason they dont go up is because people are still buying if the demand went down the prices are inversely related so the prices would gop up

no Christmas sale or anything
LOL
Quote by master_ofmetal

nope.

demand and price are directly related not inversely related.

if they aren't selling, you lower the price to try and get more people to buy. If more people want to buy a particular product, you put the price up to make more money.

why do you think oil is so expensive?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I know Gibson + Epiphone are raising their prices in the U.K becuase of the £'s losing favour to the $
In Australia Gibsons and other US made guitars went up about 10-20%
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

last time i checked it was about $50 a barrel...opposed to $150 3-6 months ago...
Quote by Ghold125
last time i checked it was about $50 a barrel...opposed to $150 3-6 months ago...

meh, don't have a car and don't follow the markets as much as I used to.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
gas was actually down to .96 cents in North Carolina today... Yes, it was because of price wars, but still.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Quote by thementor
gas was actually down to .96 cents in North Carolina today... Yes, it was because of price wars, but still.

**** 96 cents?....

i don't know what price wars are but here its still like 2.50
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Canada has 70 cents right now Earlier this year, around 3 months ago, we were hit with $1.30. and this is LITRES! Id love it if amp and guitar prices dropped as much as oil has...
Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

You should always listen to this bird-man-woman-thing.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

What the fuck man!? That's SWEET

I think I might actually use that!

well i noticed the les paul studio came down like $700 since last summer, maybe they are working their way to discontinuing or something?..

either way, once it hits $800 im getting one.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
because guitars and musical instruments are considered luxury items, not necessities. In other words, they don't have to be cheap for people to keep buying them. Exchange rates are the main reason for us in Australia being raped.

I've tried bargaining in Aussie shops and ended up walking out half the time cos they won't give me a reasonable price (our prices are through the roof, seriously). I go back a few months later and the same guitars are usually still there... But then again i've walked out with my fair share of bargains too. If I find a salesman who's too pushy or thinks he knows everything when he doesn't, i'll only crunch him harder for it, but then again I don't go to guitar shops to make friends.

In this kind of economy especially, cash is king and the customer rules, so don't let the storepeople tell you otherwise, or they can hold onto their precious stock and explain to their managers why they're having a problem making sales.
Gibson is constantly going up because its Gibson

you're not JUST buying a hunk of mahogany
you're buying a GIBSON!
Schecter Hellraiser C7 w/ BKPs
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez TS9
Boss Tuner
Morley Tremonti Wah

"From My Rotting Body, Flowers Shall Grow, And I Am In Them, And That Is Eternity"
Quote by conor1148
well i noticed the les paul studio came down like $700 since last summer, maybe they are working their way to discontinuing or something?..

either way, once it hits $800 im getting one.

Are you joking? Brand new issues (MF catalog) went up a few hundred bucks.
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Last edited by deleriumtrigger at Dec 28, 2008,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
nope.

demand and price are directly related not inversely related.

if they aren't selling, you lower the price to try and get more people to buy. If more people want to buy a particular product, you put the price up to make more money.

Massive simplification of a free market system, and you're assuming guitars to be a normal good. There are so many variables that go in to determining price that while quantity demanded should be the driving variable it is by no means the only one.

Quote by yenners
because guitars and musical instruments are considered luxury items, not necessities. In other words, they don't have to be cheap for people to keep buying them. Exchange rates are the main reason for us in Australia being raped.

This guy is dead on, especially concerning mid and upper level guitars. The people who will buy a quality instrument and will not settle for a piece of crap, even if the piece of crap is dirt cheap and the quality instrument is expensive. The crap 100 dollar guitars go on sale because that's what the average guy off the street will pick up because he doesn't care about quality. Since they are targeting different markets the way in which price behaves is different.

Also there is something to be said about the rate of inflation and the fact it is increasing, so that as the value of the dollar decreases if something is remaining the same price it may actually be going down in terms of cost. (Think if a guitar is 1000 dollars today, and next year it is still 1000. In the time, inflation has cause 1 of last years dollars to be worth 1.10 in today's dollars. Now the guitar should have gone up in price to 1100, but since it stayed the same it's almost like the price went down 100 bucks. make sense?)
I was just talking with a few friends about this topic the other day. My thoughts on the matter are a little more psychological. As stated above, supply and demand drive the price. But, why is there still a demand when so many are cutting back their spending in so many ways? Normally, hobbies are the first to go when times get tough. So, the answer is simply stated, music is not a hobby. It's something else entirely. For some, it's an escape or a means to relieve some stress. For others it's an outlet for creativity. The list could go on and on. Regardless of the reason, it's a type of therapy that helps people get through the day, week, month or year. It doesn't even matter if your a musician. I saw on the news that ticket sales have gone up something like 12% or more in the last year. So, even those who just enjoy listing are not giving up music. I guess it just boils down to when your passionate about something that makes you feel better, then it's one of the last things to go. If your not passionate about something, then you spend your money on a shrink to achieve the same results so many get from music, in all it's forms.
Quote by thementor

Woah woah woah, where the **** was this??
Thanks to the economy messing itself up my SG has actually gone up in value. I paid £415 for it 6 months ago from a german store online. Now the euro has plumeted against the pound the cheapest I can find it online is about £500
The prices at my local music-store has gone up, strings, picks, guitars and amps, everything has gone up.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
guitars here in holland are cheaper
most gibsons and fenders had a sturdy 300-400€ price drop
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I passed up a decent finance option on a prs a few months ago ... annnnnd I've just seen the prs prices for the local dealer leap up by 500 quid, magical.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by nottinoob
Where I live oil costs 0.50 USD cents per litre

That is not a good sign. Gas prices were initially raised to try and lower the need for it. The sudden drop means that people will buy more gas and it'll run out faster.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by nottinoob
Where I live oil costs 0.50 USD cents per litre

Where do you live....Libya?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by laxduck
Massive simplification of a free market system, and you're assuming guitars to be a normal good. There are so many variables that go in to determining price that while quantity demanded should be the driving variable it is by no means the only one.

This guy is dead on, especially concerning mid and upper level guitars. The people who will buy a quality instrument and will not settle for a piece of crap, even if the piece of crap is dirt cheap and the quality instrument is expensive. The crap 100 dollar guitars go on sale because that's what the average guy off the street will pick up because he doesn't care about quality. Since they are targeting different markets the way in which price behaves is different.

Also there is something to be said about the rate of inflation and the fact it is increasing, so that as the value of the dollar decreases if something is remaining the same price it may actually be going down in terms of cost. (Think if a guitar is 1000 dollars today, and next year it is still 1000. In the time, inflation has cause 1 of last years dollars to be worth 1.10 in today's dollars. Now the guitar should have gone up in price to 1100, but since it stayed the same it's almost like the price went down 100 bucks. make sense?)

Thank god someone saved me from writing an essay.

You also have to bear and mind the following two things though:

-Price elasticity of demand
-How the same company makes crappy cheapos and mad expensive guitars means it's basically accounting for two different markets, getting rid of (only partly) of deadweight loss (see price descrimination 101). What I'm saying is that they'll probably keep the cheap guitars' prices low and raise the upper end ones because the people in the market for them can probably afford the increase.

Quote by steven seagull
Where do you live....Libya?

I was thinking he probably has a hole in his back garden and probably sells it himself at that price ha.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by doom3rulz
Because guitars are luxury items.

this is much of a muchness. luxury items are one of the first places prices fall because they're the first things people cut back on in tough times.

i guess that one reason is probably that retailers are limited to how low they can go with prices before they start upsetting distributors (which means they risk not being able to buy guitars to sell anymore). i would suggest, therefore, that we might see prices fall but that this might take longer than elsewhere, as it'll take the economic difficulties trickling through to the guitar companies (who'll change their pricing) or stores going out of business on a large scale and just needing to liquidate stock. but this is just conjecture really, and since guitar companies are run by idiots and guitars mostly bought by idiots, one never knows what sort of counter-logical things might happen.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Guitars will always be expensive. As will pianos, cars and other such like items.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Guitars will always be expensive. As will pianos, cars and other such like items.

Unless you live in the US.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Page 1 of 2