Hey UG,

Noobie pedal builder here. I decided I wanted to make my own pcb for my first build, and up til now it's been a breeze.

I got my copper and ferric chloride at a local place called Blick Art and cleaned the board with a polish called Barkeeper's Friend, which I then applied press and peel blue to. I then submerged the board in a liberal amount of ferric chloride and put my plastic container on some hot water in my sink to keep it warm.

Problem is, I've been waiting for almost 2 hours now and the board has not changed color at all since about 20 minutes after I started the process (it is an orangish purple depending on what light you use). I took it out of the solution just to make sure; the color is definitely far from the yellow/green in the pictures of the tutorial I looked at.

Did I do something wrong UG? It's worth noting that the board is about 3 mm thick and that it has a layer of green stuff on the bottom. I also tried to add more ferric chloride with no result.

Thanks in advance
Quote by solidsnake15
So when I bring girls home to my apartment and I've got dual monitors they get wet and say damn you can check your myspace on one screen and be watching lord of the rings on the other.
It's the first kind on the list (the powder kind). I figured it would be okay since it was a cleaner/polish that listed copper.

I just applied it with my hands and some water and let it air dry...is this bad?
Quote by solidsnake15
So when I bring girls home to my apartment and I've got dual monitors they get wet and say damn you can check your myspace on one screen and be watching lord of the rings on the other.
i would suggest taking some ultra fine sandpaper, or steel wool and sanding down the board a little bit, to remove any trace of that stuff, i have a feeling that's why its not working.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Well I have more PNP but I gotta drive 30 min across town to get to my dad's office to use his laser printer, so I'd rather save that option as a last resort.

Are you sure it is the cleaner? Wouldn't it not affect the edges of the copper, which also haven't changed colors?
Quote by solidsnake15
that would be my guess, but im not a expert. When i hear polish, and then trying to do that, it makes me think that's the culprit.

For instance - polishing a guitar, then applying a new layer of paint, don't think that will work to well.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
So I took the copper out again and looked at it real close. Turns out you guys are most likely right--the board is covered in some cloudy transparent white stuff that I can chip with my fingernail (probably a reaction of the etchant and the cleaner). Underneath is the copper, almost completely untouched.

I'd hate to have to redo the PNP, or even worse see this board go to waste altogether...do you think I could get by just scraping off the cloudy stuff, or do I have to go through the whole PNP process again?
Quote by solidsnake15
scrape it off, and sand it lightly if you can, then continue.
otherwise, your gonna have to restart, and don't use that crap on it again
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Hm. Good point. :/

Is it worth anything to mention that the ink has been raised considerably above the copper?
Quote by solidsnake15
An update.

I sawed off a piece of copper and dropped it into the ferric chloride to see if the barkeepers friend was really the culprit. An hour later and it's the same result as the piece that got rubbed with the polish, leading me to believe that it could be a problem with my materials.

Is it possible that my etchant is expired or something? Does it even expire? Could it be possible that my copper (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:sr94LMfEjkEJ:www.dickblick.com/zz306/02/+copper+squares+blick+art&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a) is only part copper?

Ugh, this is so frustrating :/
Quote by solidsnake15